iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C. John Hebert's web site.

Started by Tom, July 19, 2005, 06:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Checked out yer website C.John. Veddy intedestink.

Solon, Me., EH ???  Been there, 1968 right after getting back to "the World". Met the greatest guys in the garage, there. 

We had a Winnybaga that the Tranny filter got plugged up. Some guy towed us in to that garage with a Jeep. While they found a new filter and replaced it, we cooked Breakfast, right there in the garage lot. They charged us something like $16.00. We fed 'em all and gave 'em a 6 pack, and everytime we rolled back and forth through there, them dudes would all line up and wave to us.  Great folks up there.

We was Salmon and Trout fishin, Memorial day weekend.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Haytrader

Wecome C. John,

I know 1st Cav.
I know V A
I know agent orange
I know type II

Welcome home brother.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Oh yeah, Welcome Home, C. John.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Thanks for the tip, C.  I get annual checkups and my Doc knows my history, so he checks for it.  I got till the end of the year on my coverage, then it's off to the VA clinic for me.  I'll be getting started on it pretty soon.

I've worried about being exposed, but I was in the air, and we never unassed the bird out in tha woods. ;D  I'm in touch with about 300 guys from my outfit, and don't know of any with symptoms.  They're nutty as a bunch of fruitcakes, though.  :D :D :D  You should hear some of the stories at the reunions! :o :o

Here's a peek at our bunch:

www.geocities.com/pentagon/quarters/1517
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Buzz-sawyer

Dang that site is chuck full of interesting stuff, I read it several years ago when you posted a link.....
One question, Did you go to the Blue star?!....
Did you serve with Chuch Markham.....He can spin quite an interesting tale....A tanker AND a pilot.........
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

C. John Hebert

Dan,
Funny thing is I didn't think I had any symptoms either. But what are the symptoms anyhow........geeesh. For years the government attitude was deny-deny-deny, and even now they try to resist a few claims. Wasn't till my new wife (nurse) who has been after me since we married to get checked out, then recently she did some research on the net and opened my eyes to so many that were like me. Well.... not that I had some major something going on, but a whole bunch of little stuff I blew off cause I'm bullet proof (wink) So?.... I mossied on down and spent a day tellin folks all this crap wasn't normal and my family's history didn't have any of this stuff. Stuff like Psoriasis, dry mouth, and they (doc) tried to tell me it was normal and many have it. Oh yeah? How many drank out of rice paddies???? and I lost feeling sensation in the mornings and have trouble holding a coffee cup due to the tingling in my hands. The young assistant doc's eyes opened wide and sent me right up for blood work and presto! The major link....... Diabetes and high blood pressure. Had blood sugar almost at 400! The norm is 100! Been walking around for years with this and could have had serious repercussions and the wife went ballistic that I waited so long.
Well..... this started a whole slew of this including PTS and hypertension and a host of other garbage. Anyhow...... had I not gone, I'd never had known till a diabetic shock or some other related cancers.
Can't do any reunions, nor can I go to the wall. I just find it to painful because it seems everytime I run into someone I knew and reminisce, I only find out another friend who never made it back. I stopped in one day at Brag to show my son where I stayed and took him for a stroll through the 3rd brigade museum. Thought it would have been nice to show and tell of the experience till I walked out and spotted a bronze steel pot planted an M16 planted beside a pair of jump boots. There was a plaque with a bunch of names and as I read the first 4 names, my knees buckled. That did it for me! I'd rather live thinking everyone made it back........all those smiling faces today with families just like me, rather than know they were bloodied up and lifeless.

C. John Hebert

Blue Star? Nope....... I was just a grunt. Never saw to much sky, and mostly canopy ha ha ha any rice paddies I saw was brief as I was runnin like hell!
:D :D :D

C. John Hebert

Hey Pappy,
     Sorry I forgot. The junk I used on the exterior was some cheap water repellent at the depot "Behr" (natural #300) for around 12.00 a gal. Its crap, but I like the color and it has UV inhibiters that will hold the color from turning or graying for a couple of years. Once I'm done building, I'll re coat with something better in a clear, keeping this original color I fell in love with. I've got at least a couple of coats and on some lighter logs I've put 3 coats to blend it in better. I brushed it all on (nothing easy here ) ha ha ha

DanG

Buzz, Chuck is a very dear friend of mine, but I didn't know him back then.  He came to our outfit after I had left.  He came in as the XO, then was the final Company Commander as the unit was shut down.  I met him several years ago at a piggy roast in Canton, Ohio, and we have been close ever since. :) :)

Not sure what you mean about "the Blue Star. ???  That was the call sign of the 48th AHC at Ninh Hoa, and I did visit them a few times.  They came up and helped us out for a while during the siege of Duc Lap in the fall of '68.  Good bunch of guys!

John, I can't(won't) do The Wall, either.  Sometimes it is better to just leave the past in the past.  The reunions are different, though.  These guys are alive, and we share many memories of times together, both good and bad.  It is therapeutic for me to be with them, and to know I am not alone.

The symptoms I'm talking about is just what you described; Diabetes, Psoriasis, etc.  The only physical impairment I have is hearing loss.  I need to upgrade my glasses, so I can read lips better. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Buzz-sawyer

DanG
I had read a story by crewchief Larry Matthews..........But I recon he was there after you were home eating BBQ.....
"Bluestar Bar and Hotel" was.Some local social club they got into some trouble in.THAT was my question..........did ya ? :D :D :D :D ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

DanG

OHHHH!  That place. :D :D  It didn't exist when I was there.  I think it was a replacement for the old  Imperial Bar and Hotel, whose owner got caught in some sort of black market scandal.  Probbly just the same place with a different name.  Tweren't my kinda place.  Not that I was any sort of choirboy, I just knew of some better places. :)

pappy

C.John,

Sorry it took so long to respond, we left for the weekend...

Yup we did a big hump last summer... was very good head and heart therapy for Jen (wife) and me.

To answer a few ?'s the cabin size is 16 wide X 34 long... front loft is 16w X 10 deep and the other is 16w X 10 deep.

The wood stove we got now is a Vogelzang Mountaineer from Northerntool.  Pretty to look at but smokes when you add wood to it.  I'll have to modify it... it has a baffle which comes down even with the door opening...DUH... I'm gonna sawzall a hole in the baffle under the flu opening and fab a sliding plate over the hole... slide the plate, slowly open the door, insert wood, close door... sometimes the engineers pith me off.

Have you thought of a soap stone stove... kinda pricey but very efficent...

A friend of mine used the Behr stain on his new home last year.. seems like nice stuff but I think I'll try what JeffB used on the cedar siding he put on his house last summer, Sikkens...

here's the link to that story...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7218.0

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

jgoodhart

John since you can't update your web site with the shop, garge and house project progress could you post a few pic here. I like your web sight and liked the tips you gave building you wood working projects. I spent about 5 hours soaking it all in.

C. John Hebert

unless theirs a way to up load pics on to this site (which I don't know how to do)...... I wouldn't be able to because pictures need a web address, and I can't work my site due to some glitch. I wish I could find someone who uses this software and could send me a copy so I could fix it, but so far haven't had any luck. I need "Backstage designer 1.0 or upgrade", if anyone has this I sure would appreciate an e mail

tnlogger

gene

Tom

C.John,

There are instructions for putting photos on The Forestry Forum Gallery to be found in the topic "behind the forum".  Just scroll down the main topic page and you'll see it.

We actually prefer that photos be put on the Forum Gallery than linked to on an outside site.  Unlike many forums, we haven't had to delet old threads and that means that the photos are still with them, if they were on the gallery.  If you change your library or delet a picture elswhere, it effects the posts you have made here, if you linked away from the forum.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!