iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder chains

Started by David_c, July 18, 2005, 09:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

I need to buy some tire chains for my skidder and just wondering what you guys use and like best, ring chains, diamond, double diamond? and why you like them? also best places to buy them? Thanks

leweee

Try this site http://www.labonville.com/  8)
there so expensive...how could I have a favourite ;D :D :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Sawyerfortyish

Just bought a set of ring chains from the Timberjack dealer. I didn't think they were to badly priced between 8 and 900.00. Considering how much the cost of steel has gone up theres a lot of metal in these chains.

OLD_ JD

i try to don't use chain as much i can :-\..but on winter whene ice cover everyting i prefer the studded :-\
canadien forest ranger

Ed_K

I have ring chains on mine. When they wear out they will be replaced with dimond and a half ice chains.
Ed K

David_c

Thanks for your replies guys. what do you guys think of these. the guy didn't really give me any info except they are case hardened rockwell 56 for 1084.99 deliverd without warrenty. or 1334.99 with warrenty

www.tirechain.com/skidder-chain.htm

best link i could give there the double diamond

tiny3

hi
ive ran the ring type for a while now,seem to be pretty good
artest formely known as tiny

Sawyerfortyish

Whatdaya need a warrenty for you run em til there scrape. Always run the ring chains til they almost have no grips left on the ring then get out the welder and small peice of rerod and weld new grips on top of the old ones. then run em til they keep breaking and make you mad >:(. Then go get new ones ;)

David_c

I know i wouldn't buy the warrenty but it is nice to have incase chains really aren't good. say put them on go out and they just come apart. :o not that that would happen but i know nothing about there quality. anyone know if they make a good chain?

beenthere

I'd be real surprised if the company would risk their reputation sending out anything but 'good' chain. Likely the warranty cost is just to cover the Shipping/Handling of another set.
I purchased from this company, and have only heard good reports about them. They were very helpful and informative about getting me some cable chains for a trip out West last winter. Never needed them, but that is okay. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.  ;D
Any of our sponsors, like Bailey's, have skidder-tire chains?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

David_c

beenthere Thank you just the info on them i was looking for. I wasn't suggesting they would do that intentionally. just that they might be selling an inferer quality chain becuase theres is several hundred less. and you are right about the helpfulness as i exchanged several emails with them last night after asking for info. very quick responses. oh those prices i gave where the cost with shipping which is $165.

Rob

Hey David ,

Looking into getting some chains on the ole' TJ .. Go to BB Chain in Milford , NH it's not to far from you , they're in the same building as Chappel Tractor downstairs.. Good guys to deal with and they will treat you right , and they have very good chains... We just bought a set for the 545 for the winter Babac chains , a little $$$$ but a very good chain.. A little advice on selection , run rings on the front tires and diamonds on rears works best here in NH..Best of both worlds in my opinion.Rings work good in mud etc and the diamonds in the rear bite good in snow and ice especially..Good luck David

Rob

David_c

Thanks Rob! do you know how much for the babac at B&B i already plan to get them. but if there cheaper at B&B i will get them there.

Rob

Hey David ,

I dont know of the top of my head as the company bought them not myself , I just went to pick them up..Give them a call they will help you out

David_c

you had to pick up? the place i plan to buy from will deliver them here or jobsite or wherever i want. delivery is included in price. actually it is part of babac's deal, free delivery.

Rob

David ,

I picked them up because I had to go to NH Hydraulics in Nashua anyways so I was already there just about.Otherwise they would have been delivered to our shop..

David_c

Coot

Personally i like the double diamond style  . there is a local fellow that has a homemade tractor powerd with a pacer motor :-\ but nonethe less he runs a double diamond style chain on his tires and has amazing results

Buzz-sawyer

Coot tell me more about that home made AMC tractor..multiple tranny's ??? tires....Got a pic by any chance :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Coot

sorry buzz no pics , but i can try and get some , its really neat to see , the motors a pacer like i said 4 wheel drivewith home made lockers i belive it has 4 gears goes just as fast in foward as reverse. for tires they are 15" mud tires and when its really icy he brings out the chains , like i had described before

anything more u wanna know

Buzz-sawyer

What kinda axles...does it articulate....what are homemade lockers like...........and I would like to see a pic ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

David_c

yes pictures please sounds cool.

Coot

does not articulate just regular steering , axels i belive are from a toyota  4x4 and pics i will see what i can do

Rockn H

I would like some pics of that myself.  Helped build a few tractors myself, just love that stuff.  A freind of mine is trying to build an articulated now out of 2 ton rearends.  He's trying to use the front spindles for the pivot.  Two mounted vertically above one another.

Thank You Sponsors!