iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone use kiln carts?

Started by oakiemac, July 16, 2005, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I am tired of hand loading my large kiln so I am in the planning stage for kiln carts. I have found a supplier for v-grooved caster wheels to ride on top of 1 1/2" angle iron tracks.
I am trying to decide if I should use two swivel casters in the back of each cart or if I can get away with just using the rigid casters?  The tracks should be parallel and straight so there is no turning involved but I thought with the swivel that it might be able to help the carts compensate for any imperfections in the track.
Can these carts with about 1000-1500bf be pushed in the kiln or should I plan on winching them in? I have read that they can be manually pushed in but that seems like alot of weight to me.
Any other comments or tips from anyone that has went down this road before is certainly welcome. I would like not to have to reinvent the wheel if at all possible (pun intended). ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

beenthere

okiemac
That's a good idea you have.
If the carts are to stay on the 'tracks', then I think you can get by with 4 straight wheels, no swivels. But if you think you might want to roll the carts off the tracks, then the swivels would be good to have.
I also think you will not have a problem rolling the carts if the wheels are steel and the tracks are steel. Just be sure that both can carry the weight of the 1500 bdft. (up to 8000 #, or 2000 on each wheel if the forum tool box under Forum Extras is right, and I think it is).

If you include some stake pockets for corner stakes, the carts will (should) be easier to push around without trying to push on the stickered lumber. If the bunks are solid wood timbers, a stake pocket for an oak 2x4 should work good (or just a pocket for the LogRite tool should make a good solid handle to use as well. Maybe a LogRite holster would be a good addition to the LogRite line for even casual storage of their tools.  ::) ??? :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DouginUtah

oakiemac,

I'm not sure what you have planned but I have read several times that you only want to have ONE side of the cart running on the angle iron--the other side is just running on a flat piece. That way you don't have to worry about getting the tracks exactly parallel.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Don_Lewis

Nyle sells wheels that are 3" wide with a v groove and flats so they can run on flat. The wheels are rated at 2500 pounds each.

oakiemac

Doug, that is a good point. It would also save on angle iron and mounting expenses. I'm just wonder though if that would creat more friction and make it harder to push in the chamber?

Beenthere, I thought about putting some sort of push rod on the cart- I think that will help out.

Don, I will call nyle Monday and see how much your wheels are and their ratings. Thank you.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

karl

My cart rides on flat wheels I got from a surplus store. They run inside a coupl 5" channel iron I had left over,and a couple more lengths get laid down outside to pull the cart out.
I push it in with the forklift and pull it out with a chain and the lift.
Low tech and cheap.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

TexasTimbers

The carriage on my circle saw runs one side angle and one side flat. It's a good idea I think I'll adopt it when I build my chamber. You won't save that much money and that shouldn't be the point, but of course it's always nice to do so when you can. In fact, considering the gauge and width of flat stock that you should use, it will probably be a negligible difference I'd think.
Speaking of kiln chambers, last night my wife told me that with everything we are trying to do all at once, we should have already written it all down, prioritize it, and stick to it. "Geez", I said, "that's gonna remove the impulsive, moody, fanciful and random actions of my unpredictable whims from the process......." Oh well, guess I just better make sure the chamber gets placed high on the long and growing list ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Den Socling

I think we talked about this before but I'll mention two things again. You can buy v-groove wheels from lots of industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr and Grainger. A 6 x 2" cast iron wheel with rollers bearings is about $25. 8 x 3" is closer to $65. In vac kilns, I use multiple small wheels instead of four big wheels. This way, you don't waste kiln space under the cart, there is less wear and tear with the weight spread and it's easier to roll.

Thank You Sponsors!