iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting Started

Started by RJJ, July 13, 2005, 10:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJJ

I am in the very early stages of planning our timber frame home and have many questions.

I have been a daily visitor here on the Forestry Forum for quite some time and have gained a lot of knowledge thus far from what I have read.

The short of it is:

Construct a 2300 sq ft. timber frame home on a slab acting as the contractor for the majority of the project.

I am planning on sawing my own timbers.

Type of wood will be Ponderosa Pine (Most available in Northern AZ.)

Questions:

I have been doing some searching and corresponding with some timber frame architects that I have found on-line. They will supply blue prints, cut lists, elevation drawings etc. Does anyone have any experience with a particular architectural firm that specializes in timber frame architecture? Although I realize blue prints and architectural fees do not come cheap, the initial estimates that I am seeing are a bit on the high side.

What experience has anyone had with SIP's. I like the concept but can see the costs going through the roof just looking at them. I realize they are at a minimum a time saver as well as very energy efficient. The claim is that the costs come out to about the same when you factor in labor savings on a traditionally built wall on site.

Any help or direction anyone can point me in, is greatly appreciated.

Furby

Can't help ya too much, but would like to point out that spending a few extra $ on a more energy efficient product could REALLY pay off when you take into account the soaring fuel costs.

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't read the thread called "Standard Procedures for Timber Framing", you should. Here is a link to that story: Click here for link to story

One way to find company or people who design and understand timber frame homes is to go to the Timber Framers Guild home page at www.tfguild.org and select the "Resource Guide". Follow the links to the Resource Guide search page and enter the info you want a search on such as "Design services" and you home state and find someone who is in your home state and is familiar with timber framing there.

If there isn't anyone who is listed from your home state then widen your search and try to find someone nearby who is familiar with your state's building code.

Then try contacting these companies listed and get prices for your plan design.

While doing this create a scrap book of design ideas and different things you've seen in magazines or take photographs of different things you like and have this ready when you meet with the designer you have selected. All this info will help him understand what you want and what you want to see in your home. The more homework you do the more info you can pass on to him.

And you can ask them to design just the part of the frame or just a part of total package that you want. But be aware that if you tell them "I'll do the rest of this myself", you'll be saving money, but you may overlook some important things that their experiences have taught them.

An old time timber framer reminds me that it's 80% planning and 20% execution. So plan it right regardless to who does the work.

Good Luck with your project and keep asking questions.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

mometal77

Some good links jim.
I am a newby but got into TF from a friend that builds timberframe houses.
Before i came to find the net i went to the library.  There is a lot of information out there.  Some authors from europe that have written books have some amazing ideas not to rule out.   Also One  guy named ted benson that has written a few books some neat pictures for a few ideas. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tedd+benson.  Besides this forum there are many more out there.  Go to barnes and noble they make magazines that have layout plans look on the net also.   Also on ebay sometimes they sell already tore down timber frame structures all they need to be is re assembled.  Wish i lived back east i just passed up a three story barn.  That sold for pennies.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!