Started by woodman, July 29, 2002, 08:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman

Why do'nt more of you do the poll and vote, just asking
Jim Cripanuk

CHARLIE

I thought I  did........ :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Paul_H

My desktop brings me right to the main board.I have only done the poll twice I think.
Thanks for the reminder,Woodman
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

I usually do, but I didn't fully understand the Christmas tree one.  It had too many redundancies in it and it confused me.  My wife has a plastic tree.

Bro. Noble

I always do.

One time it messed up and let me vote 4 or 5 times.  I think it was on Gov. subsidies which I have a strong opinion about.

Good thing I'm not as crooked as those St. Louis Democrats in the last Pres. election.  I would have really taken advantage of the situation.

I think we should have a poll on the best smelling wood to saw, as well as the worst.  Can't be anything smell worse than Black Gum.  The boards smell like someone cleaned fish on them last week.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Frank_Pender

Well, tom, it is not quite that bad around here yet.  We always have a Douglas Fir, but never in the house. 8) 8)  I convinced the boss to place it on the deck where we can view it from the diningroom as well as the livingroom.  the bese selling point was that she did not have to take to effort to clean up the mess of needles and such at the time of  dismanteling.   I have been able to keep the tree up as late into the season as the first of May, only once. :'(  I think they a rather pretty and redish brown in color. ;D  I use the leaf blower to remove the needles.  It all cleans up fast.  bye the way, I vote when I remember to review the chart. :P
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Yep, I just checked the polling site, and guess what I had voted for on an date? :D
Frank Pender

Ron Wenrich

Tom

I'm not sure where those redundencies came from.  That isn't how it was programmed in.   :-/  I started off with 12 options, which must have maxed out the system.  It'll be gone on Sunday.

It seems that we have the same 38 people who vote on the poll.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I myself look forward to the Poll. Since I'm not the one coming up with the ideas its really fun seeing what Ron has in store!

I have voted undecided on a poll but it convinced me to go and learn a little more about what the poll was about. By the time I did have an opinion I had already wasted my vote :-/

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

OK, where's the poll?  I've looked, searched, and it's nowhere to be found...until someone tells me where it is.   ;D

Thanks.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Tom

Shotgun,
From here you can click on the ForestryForum Logo found at the top of the sidebar of each page.  It is the green conifer with the words "The Forestry Forum" written across it.  that will take you to the opening page and the Poll will be on the left side of the page.

You also get that page when you call up the forum with www.forestryforum.com

Ron Wenrich

Hey Shotgun

Ya gotta start using the front door.  https://forestryforum.com/index.shtml

You're using the side door.  You miss the poll and the pretty neat job that Jeff did designing the front door.  It also shows you who's on and a picture from the gallery  You also get an opportunity to view the past 100 posts.

Shotgun

Thanks Jeff and Ron.  Yup, I've been coming in through the side door.  I read the "last 10 posts" instead of chasing through the woods for all the recent posts and updates.  Probably am missing a bunch.  I have several forums that I check daily, and that seems like the most convenient way to do it.  That's why I asked Jeff quite some time ago to expand the "last 10 posts" to 25 or so.  I'll mend my ways here and do it right.  I'm one of those dreaded lurkers.  Sure glad you all are not like me.  There's be nothing to read.

Thanks again Jeff and Ron

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

DanG

Well, let me say this about that.  I don't usually vote in the polls, because they are mostly about forestry issues that I don't understand very well. I am as green as grass, when it comes to forestry, though the subject fascinates me.

What I'd really like to see, is a monthly thread where everybody explains WHY they voted a certain way in the poll. Now, that would be educational. :P

I didn't vote on the Christmas tree poll, because my favorite was not offered as a choice. The MONEY tree! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Ron, I do beleive that I will be able to add our headlines back on our frontdoor now. I think that was all part of the memory problem we corrected. The Top 100 list loads pretty fast. Maybe I'll even throw in a top 1000 so ShotGun can get all caught up. :)

Frank_Pender

DanG, if that is not my favorite tree, too.  (do not end a sentence with a preposition) :P DanG teachers, anyway.  Retired, or not! :'(
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

Frank,

You know what Winston Churchhill said about ending a sentence in a preposition?  

"That's a situation up with which we cannot put"

Noble

Ron Wenrich

That's a pretty DanG bad excuse.  On every poll there is either a "don't know" or "other" category.  I believe the money tree falls into the "other" category on this poll.   :)

I have been aiming to do one forestry related poll and one lighter poll each month.  I have stayed away from mill polls and the like, since this is primarily a forestry site.

We tossed around a few poll results in the beginning.  There wasn't too much response, so I didn't bother putting the results up.  

If you want, I can put them up, and you can add your comments.  It could make for lively discussion or it could be a yawner.  

Tom

Well, I like the Voting part.  The polls are fun regardless of the subject and the anonymity lets me stick my chest out and stand up for anything I want without having to justify it to someone.  Heck, if I was intiimidated too much, I might chicken out and vote for something I didn't really believe in.   Uh, ..in which I didn't believe....uh, something else. :-/

The only problem I have with the polls is when they confuse me....and that's not too hard to do. Like Christmas Trees.  We ship almost all of our Christmas trees into Florida from the Nawth and most of us don't even know what species it is.  Why, it's just a Christmas tree.   Those we grow here are Junipers (aromatic cedar) or sometimes short needle pines.  Every once in a while somebody will decorate a Coconut or Sable palm and any old tree in the front yard is game for lights.

Polls are difficult to fraize..er.....phrase.  You have to be real careful not ask the questions such that you control the outcome.  I think Ron has been doing an excellant job, especially in that respect.

I used to get so angry with the dimwits that made up the polls on Mediaone before it went out of business.  They would put something down like this.

1. I am for the new tax proposal for the school board
2  Let the children suffer and the school close.

woodman

After reading all this I think we should have a poll to see if we should have more polls  :) :) :) 8) 8)  ok
           I like polls do you????
Jim Cripanuk

CHARLIE

I find the results of the polls interesting. I'm not a forester or a sawyer, so I may have a different point of view than others on this forum. It's fun to see which way people voted compared to how I voted.  I definitely think two things should be posted with the polls. 1. How many people took the poll and 2. the results. There's a lot of subjects that can be polled, from forestry, forest fires, Timber pest, logging, etc, etc
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Paul_H

I went to the front door and voted(Douglas Fir).But my computer won't let me see the results.A window pops up,but it is blank.

Who is the person with the hat hanging around the front door?

I thought it might be a guest peeking in,but it was a forum hat :D Is it Dr Gordon making a housecall? :P

Paul_H

Ok' I get it now.It is a slide show.The guy with the hat was gone,and a tree was there instead.

Tom

You mean this guy?

That's me.

We were having a good time awhile back and I got put into a game.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=tree_id;action=display;num=992311557;start=12

Paul_H

Watch out Charlie.Big Brother really is watching you ;)

Tom,it was a different person,no beard.I didn't realize at first that it was a slideshow. I thought maybe it was the next victim for a Forum game 8)

Were you sneaking in,or out? :D

Tom

I was a'peekin out the computer room door.  

I remember a shot kinda like that of Woodmills too.  When he got his hat..........he was showing off a can of peas.

Click on the Photo Gallery above and you can look at all the pictures.  It's fun.  It also gives you the link that you can paste in your post if you want to use the picuture again.  Reusing existing pictures doesnt' use up server space like putting new ones on.   Just highlight the red link and hit cntrl and C at the same time. Go to your post and put your cursor where you want the picture and hit Cntrl and V.  Voila there it is. :D

Paul_H

Ok Tom,I found the picture.Thanks. 8)

Tom

Oh yeah,  That's Gordon.  He had just bought his new camera and was taking pictures of anything that moved.  He got in his own way and this is the result. Yep, that's Gordon ok. :D

Bro. Noble

He's lookin purty surs.

Noble

Paul_H

Just think,thats the first thing the baby saw in the parking lot :D.

Jeff

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

woodman

Jeff now that's  not funny, scared yes  :D
Jim Cripanuk

C_Miller

no wonder the baby screamed.

congrats tho read the baby thread and was awestruck.  life is truly a precious commodity.

C
CJM

Thank You Sponsors!