iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large Urban Walnut I sawed..

Started by Kedwards, July 11, 2005, 05:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kedwards

Posted on the other site and someone said I should post this here..

I have a lot more pictures if you want see.

The Log was 36" diameter, flared into a crotch 14' above the cut off and the branchs were 20-22" diamter  with nice potential crotch. the metal stain is due to my saw not the wood and I believe can be easily removed later. The photo doesn't show it, but this tree also have a lot of curl.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Dan_Shade

how long's your bar?  that slab is huge!  good luck on getting it dry without warping/splitting, if it does come out, that will be sweet :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kedwards

drying is usually not a problem..I sticker in well ventilated environment thats covered and not exposed to the sun and wait 3-6 months before  putting in the kiln
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Timburr

How thick do you slab out at?

And yes, we do want to see.

Tim
Sense is not common

Jeff

Kedwards, yep we want to see them, but please optimize and use the forum server so the photos don't disappear on down the road. Also our users with slow connections can see them as well.  I am fixing the pic above because of the large download size. (I get complaints). The fixed version is one FIFTH the file size.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tnlogger

good lopking pc of wood there  8) and yes more pics would be nice  :)
gene

iain

Them pics will be drooled over properly on this site ;) :D

iain

Kedwards

Kedwards

Kedwards

iain

Now your getting the hang of our needs

tell me about your slabber attachment, if you got time

iain

Jeff

I know he has a photo where the log is all stacked back together after slabbing. I wanna see THAT one. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kedwards

hehe :D.. I did post that twice in my gallery, but here it is.

moving a 3 ton log .. one piece at a time.

Btw.. I spoke to the lady that had a monster cherry today and I scaled it out at 1100 ft and from the looks of it may be curly .. the trunk is 31" DIB and doesnt taper for 14 feet then the next 14 feet to the  end looks to be about 24-26" then the top broke out in a twist at the fork. Narry a limb for 30 feet. The limb looks like it is 18-20" wide and straight. She said I could have it although I promised her some money for it and a round off the end.

Iain,

the slabber is an attachment on my regular Lucas Mill although it may start to be a permanent fixture with the huge  demand for the slabs and the size and quality of the urban trees I am getting lately.  the bar max width is 50" so I could saw a log 50" in diamter 20 feet long..sounds crazy since I would need a crane to move the log. The largest tree I have sawed was 56" DIB willow oak.

Furby

GF

That is some nice looking walnut, one of these days I am going to have to take a look at those Lucas mills.

sigidi

Hey There Kedwards,

welcome fellow Lucas miller/slabber man 8)

I too have the slabbing attachment, and just love how some of those biggur ugly old tree's turn out!! Terrific pic of the finished cut log. By the looks of it you have a great set-up to sotre your slabs etc.

Great stuff mate keep it coming
Always willing to help - Allan

Dan_Shade

how do you all typically handle the bark on a big slabbed up tree?  scrap/spud it off?  I use a little mattick type thing, it works if the log has been sitting a while and the bark will "slip", but it don't work for squat on a fresh log.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gilman

Ken,
Those look great.  Not trying to hijack your thread, but add to the Black Walnut part.

I like how the tree was taken down with a chainsaw instead of an excavator a piece at a time.  See below for how to NOT take a BW down.

This was a piece of a black walnut tree that was taken down with an excavator to, "save the logger some time."  It is 1 of 4 trees that grew together.  I could of had three more with this great figure.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kedwards

Thats a nice piece of wood :o

Got the cherry today and will post as soon as it is slabbed. The largest clean piece was 25"  diameter 9' long and has counterclockwise spiral twist.  I am hoping it is curled like the last one. The other 2 sections were  8 foot and 6 foot and were a clean 21" in diamter Total footage is around 525 scaled and slabbed will make some nice 6/4 pieces.

rebocardo

Kedwards,
That is the kind of slab I dream about cutting into tables. Awesome wood.

Kedwards

here is the large cherries I just got.. heck.. I have a line on some BIGGER than these.. 8)

The main butt log is 25" dib no taper 9feet long, the other two are 21" all will be slabbed to 6/4 thickness.

the following is the original butt log of the walnut stickered at 2 and 3" thickness. the color is starting to really peak through.

Gilman

Ken,
You have any normal sized trees in NC? :D

Does your slabber have a power feed?

I assume that walnut is stacked in your new garage.  Have you told us about the new garage yet?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kedwards

the power feed is me ! I will take some garage pics this weekend when I slab the cherry.

TN_man

Kyle,
It is good to see you back over here posting again. I go to your website from time to time to check on how your business is going. Thanks for the pics. :)
Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Kedwards

Here are some of the pics of the cherry I slabbed. Picked up another 40" Black walnut yesterday and looking at another large one about 2 hours from where I am at.  The slabs of this black cherry is 22"-25" wide and 6/4 thick and had some nice color and is already to darken considerably.

a view from the pilots seat:

admiring the wood..

log is almost done!

I will post slabs of a big maple thats next and a Tamarac thats 30" as well as anothe rbiggun(walnut)

Thank You Sponsors!