iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How's your Garden doing

Started by johnjbc, July 11, 2005, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbc

The Garden is coming along nicely. Should have the first vine ripe Tomatoes in about a week. 8) 8) smiley_turkey_hide smiley_turkey_hide

Can't wait to toast 2 slices of Italian bread, coat with a liberal coating of Mayonnaise, a little mustard, lay on several slices of Bacon, some lettuce, fried peppers and onions, and of course nice ripe tomatoes    um um good   
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Tom_Averwater

My garden has been doing real good this year. I've had peas , broccoli ,cabbage, green beans & squash. The Tomatoes and corn will be starting to ripen this week if we can get rid of all of the coons and possums.  My cantelopes are as big as softballs .The dan g deer are starting to eat them. My 4 year old doesn't  like that. He says "Dad you are going to have to shoot some of those deer". ;D Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Buzz-sawyer

DRY!!!
I used up my cistern water.now I am hauling water to save whats left of my beatiful garden........... :-[
Come on hurrican rain 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

I had to replant alot of garden and rip up some. But my beat greans are almost ready. I have tomatoes the size of thimbles, cukes and yellow string beans have a way to go before blossums (by month end). Was a cold wet spring, the weather is just right here now. I don't grow corn because the coons destroy it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

I would have string beans just coming out now but a couple of ground hogs were tearing them up.
Gave them a led pill injection! My squash is doing great but a heavy storm we had last week knocked down 1/3 of my corn >:( I'v gotten a lot of it backup and am crossing my fingers.

Black eyed peas and white peas are getting ready to bud, tomatoes are gonna bud soon to. Don't have much hope for the pole beans, just dont wanna grow this year.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Furby

Lost everything!
Went away for a couple days, watered just before I left and as soon as I got back.
Wasn't good enough.
It's just been waaaaaaaay too dry AND sunny.

twoodward15

everything is slow here.  We had a cold rainy spring and then straight to the heat.  I have 5 tomato plants with about 200 tomatoes that won't turn red!!   Corn should start putting out ears in a week hopefully.  snow peas didn't put out.  scallions were really small, watermelon wouldn't take.  squash and zuchinni are slow, strawberries got put in real late but should put out some beries.  Brussel sprouts are just starting to grow, a bit bigger than a pea now!!  Hopefully something will be big enough to eat this year.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Engineer

Had a nice garden....  :)

Gonna kill me some deer....   >:(

They done ate all my tomato, pepper, beans, radish, beets and chard.  Rabbits finished off the lettuce.  I gotta replant and hope they don't acquire a taste for cucumber plants....

Woodcarver

Dry here, too.  We've kept things growing by moving a soaker hose from row to row and watering from daylight to dark every day. Actually, considering the weather, the garden looks good.

We're having some insect problems, primarily aphids in the green beans and wax beans.  We didn't have much problem with aphids until the farmers around us started growing soy beans a couple of years ago. Penny, our lab/akita cross has been keeping the deer out of the garden, but a rabbit or two has slipped in. Time to get the trusty .22 out.   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Tom_Averwater

Dang deer got 3 cantelope sat. night and 6 more sun .night . :-[
He who dies with the most toys wins .

UNCLEBUCK

Made me hungry johnjbc now I gotta go eat !  I planted one garden all on memorial day and this is how far it is along .It was cold and wet in may but changed to hot and perfect timely rains but I am having a tough time keeping the weeds out now but a good 2 hour session howing between the rows and I think I will have salvaged it all. I tried something new to me this year and that is gurneys roadside 18# cantaloupe other than that the rest is winter squash,pumpkins,pickles,melons and sweet corn. Last year the whole plot was green beans and peas so there is enough of that for quite a few years so went with easy vine crops.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

Unclebuck, you have a alot of work there, big garden. Who all you feedin ??? ;)

Looks good  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

My Garden, rutebego, beets, yellow string beans, cukes, halloween pumpkin, tomaters.  Carrots, parsnip, melons and zukes where a failure.

raspberries will be ready in a week

Apples will be ready in September

Cherries are almost ready, just need to keep the coons outta the tree. They break off branches.  >:(

Good harvesting :)

Patty

Our garden is doing ok and for the most part the weather has been cooperating.  The winter squash, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic & peppers are doing well. We lost the whole crop of sweet corn  >:( to the ground squirrels, and the apples & cherries didn't make it due to a late freeze this spring.

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Weekend_Sawyer

I was walking by my big white pine and a peach fell out of it, almost hit me!
I looked up and there was a squirrel, looking buggeyed at me like "Ah crap, I been caught"

These little tree rats eat all my peaches before I they get ripe!

Think I'm gonna have some squirrel stew. >:(
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ohsoloco

The garden I planted at my parent's place is doing excellent.  Dad is doing a nice job of watering  :)  Those tomato plants look like bushes....one of 'em is at least four feet tall, with lots of green gems on it  ;D  Peppers all seem to be doing well too. 

I decided to take four 'mater plants to my place so I could have a few to pick from, but they're pathetic compared to the others.  Two of them have golf ball size tomatoes on 'em, but the leaves are all brown and shriveled up now  :(  The only thing doing well at my place is what is growing wild.  Last week I picked 5 1/2 pounds of black raspberries....I now have a gallon of wine workin', and some jars of jam in the cupboard.  Fresh raspberry muffins last night hit the spot  :)

Roxie

Pity.....just one gallon of wine working?   ??? 
That's enough for me...but what are you going to drink?   8)
Say when

maple flats

Had our first ripe tamaters tonite in the form of bst's (yea, not blt, we substituted spinach for lettuce) They were good. That is when you know summer is here, fresh maters. just eat em like apples, just a little salt, mmmmm good. We used to grow everything but now we just do tomatoes and buy the rest at the farmers mkt. We do however grow 4.5 acres of blueberries, which will be ready in about 10 days or so, they look good so far and we got a lot of rain today (in just about an hour, real heavy, most likely washed off the spray from this morn.)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

UNCLEBUCK

Wow everybody got the gardens popping along real good .  S.D. my gandma age 91 and my ma age 68 both say if I can grow they will can or freeze it so I have to give them something to be excited about . I eat about 50% of it I think  :D :D

ohsoloco

Roxie, I prefer to work in 5 gallon batches, but most fruit wines take 3-4 pounds of fruit per gallon of wine   :-\    That's a lot of picking. 

It's funny, I dressed up better than I usually do when I picked raspberries with my old button down white dress shirt  (long sleeves are a MUST no matter how DanG hot it is)  :D

Chris J

My 'winter' garden was so disappointing that I didn't plant a summer garden, which is probably a good thing given our dry summer.  Three of my five fruit trees died this spring (had way too much rain for a month after I planted them, then a real long dry spell).

I need to clean out the beds, & start planning a winter garden.  Of course by the time I get some veggies going the lack of daylight in the evening will be a problem.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

UNCLEBUCK

Winemaking !  ;D When I was about 16 my older sis and I made alot of chokecherry wine "fishhouse wine" but one day the top exploded from a sticking relief valve and had chokecherry junk all over my room .  Would be fun to try doing it again . Fun to here others using garden stuff for many uses .  ;)

Roxie

Quote from: ohsoloco on July 13, 2005, 04:23:15 PM
Roxie, I prefer to work in 5 gallon batches, but most fruit wines take 3-4 pounds of fruit per gallon of wine   :-\    That's a lot of picking. 

It's funny, I dressed up better than I usually do when I picked raspberries with my old button down white dress shirt  (long sleeves are a MUST no matter how DanG hot it is)  :D

Note to self:  Locate Bellefonte on PA map.   :)
Say when

ohsoloco

Unclebuck, one of the hardware stores up the road sells beer and wine making supplies.  I guess the manager goes up to New York or somewhere and buys grape juice and the like to make different wines.  That just doesn't do it for me.  I love to know that I picked these berries or whatever and made something great out of it (probably the same reason I bought a sawmill after getting hooked on woodworking)  :)   I'm still upset I had to cut down the plum tree in my parent's yard.  One year I harvested 60 pounds of plums  ;D

Roxie...it won't be ready for a while  :D

I'm still dreaming of the day I can snag one of those ripe beefsteak tomatoes out of the garden and make a sandwich out of one slice of tomato 'bout half an inch thick.  Toasted white bread, 'mater, mayo, and some salt and pepper...now THAT's good eatin'  8)

Furby

My grapes are getting close. ;D
Let's see if I can get them before the animals this year.  >:(

Thank You Sponsors!