iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here we go again!

Started by DanG, July 07, 2005, 11:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Dennis has just been upgraded to a Cat 4 storm! :o :o  Bets are better'n even that it will hit Florida.  Just a few degrees of variation determines whether it hits the peninsula or the panhandle.  We don't need this!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tnlogger

yup been watching that dan going to be an early and rough year their saying  :-\
all you guys and gals try and be safe and if you need they'll be plenty of room from your northen friends ya'll know that.  :)
gene

jerry-m

Yeah Dan G,  Been thinking all day about you and the others in this ones way... Stay as safe as you can...

The rest of us will keep yo'all in our payers,    Jerry

Jerry

DanG

Thanks guys!  But ya don't hafta worry about ol' DanG.  I know when to run, and which way.  The big concern is for all them folks that THINK they have insurance.  Them storms last season broke all the insurance companies, and there ain't nuthin' left to pay out.  I'm lucky that I don't have anything worth insuring, so at least I ain't paying out anything. ;D ;D

Like my Aunt Evelyn said, "One thing about being pore, it's cheap." ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

UNCLEBUCK

Hey get the "Hootie Mobile" under cover !  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

DanG

I think the Hootster will be good, Buck.  I'm thinkin' of puttin' everything else under cover and puttin' the Hootiemobile on top! ;D :D :D :D

UNCLEBUCK

My county here ottertail county made the headlines of the weather a few weeks ago with 100mph winds for 10 minutes and made 3 foot swells on local lakes like one side was 3 foot higher while the other side of lake was 3 foot lower . I scored bigtime on logs and wood chips and firewood from tree services lookin for a place to dump but I cant even begin to imagine what it would be like to be in hurricane country and go through storms that last for days. When I see the weather channel and the talk of Dennis coming I just say holy smokes ! I heard everytime there is a hurricane there is also a baby boom  ???  Get out ahead of time DanG and everyone else down there !

Furby

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on July 08, 2005, 12:50:46 AM

I heard everytime there is a hurricane there is also a baby boom ???

During the hurricane AND 9 months later! :o ;D

Roxie

DanG it looks like it's headed straight at ya.  We're all praying it loses it's power.
I read an interesting fact this morning on the weather channel....did you know that only three times in the past 100 years, has the coast been hit by a Category 3 (or better storm), in July?   :P
They're starting early this year.
Just remember that you've got a friend in Pennsylvania if ya feel like taking a trip.   :)
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Biggest problem is, there's usually cold water out aways in the big ocean. That will sometimes break up a storm and push it NE.

THIS YEAR, the water is already HOT.  ::) ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

GF

DanG,
    According to the projected area I seen last night you are in the path of this thing, take care and dont wait to the last minute to leave.

GF

johnjbc

If the Gulf Stream is slowing down like they are saying then the heat has to get north some other way. Could that be causing more/bigger hurricanes ? ::) ::)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

DanG

Well, things ain't lookin' any better this morning.  If Dennis stays out in the Gulf, it'll be a Cat 5 by the time it gets up here. :o :o

Unless it hits right here, I'll stay put.  If I hafta run, I won't know which way till the last minute.  Not much I can do in the way of preparation.  Just get the lawn chairs in, etc.  Most stuff is just at the mercy of whatever comes along.  Linda will be at work in a big safe building, so if I have to skedaddle, I'll probably team up with my parents.  They'll be needing help, anyway. :)

OneWithWood

Gee Dan I hope your luck from last year holds and all you get is some rain.  Better lay in an ample supply of beer just in case it is worse ;)

Kepp your head down and skedaddle sooner than later if it comes to that.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

crtreedude

Harold,

Go south young man!

DEEP South!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

My opinion.

The people who say that the Gulf stream is slowing are the ones who have extrapolated a "fact" from a theory proposed by scientist studying the climate.  It's not actually  happening.... yet.... and may not.  The theory is a big "if".

A hurricane exists because it gets its energy from heated water below.   No heat, no hurricane.   Because it removes this heat from the surface then the ocean will be cooler as it passes.  It doesn't take the good old sun long to right things afterward though.

We have hot days and cool days, depending on a whole bunch of conditions at any one given time, but, the Gulf Stream depends on the thermohaline currents generated by the heated water cooling in the Arctic and falling to the bottom of the sea to return to the tropics.  The demise of the Gulf Stream will depend more on desalination of the ocean and the affects that take place in the Arctic than from a "Breezy" day in the tropics. :)

johnjbc

Tom

I'm not sure that the Gulf Stream  isn't slowing yet. Take a look at these links.

It is a fact that we are having more and bigger Hurricanes and as these storms are driven hot water in the tropics. 8)

Could it be that the Gulf stream isn't doing its job and taking the heat north? ::) ::)

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2004/0415gyre.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1602579,00.html

http://www.ucar.edu/news/releases/2005/trenberth.shtml
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Ernie

We dont get them in NZ, C'mon down here, lots of room for nice folks.

Seriously though, take care and the Lord be with you.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

UNCLEBUCK

If I had my shack done I could pick ya"ll up at the fargo north dakota airport and take ya fishin for dem DanG specks while the hurricane blows through down there! Specks & Taters for everyone , even hushpuppies now ! Oh boy !

Daren

My little brother just moved to Florida last year. He lives on a boat in the Tampa bay area (Tierra Verde), he doesn't even have a house (the boat IS a 50'er with 3 beds, 2 baths... but still). We are Illinois flatlanders. We have a tornado every once and awhile, but they come and go in a hurry. They either miss you completely or wreck everything you have in a few minute, out of the blue. I couldn't set and wait for a storm that is going to last for hours. He must love it down there, I'da turned tail last year, and this year isn't looking any better.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

DanG

Just got the latest updates.  The storm isn't as strong as expected, but still a big, bad one.  Indications are that it will go well to the West of me, but I'm on the eastern edge of the possible track.  TS force winds are predicted by midnight tonight along the coast.

My Brother-in-law in Pensacola just moved back into his house last week, and he has already evacuated. :'(

In the population centers along the coast, Pensacola, Panama City, and Destin, evacuation is in full swing.  The roads will close when winds reach TS strength(39mph), because of all the bridges.  If you aren't out by then, you're staying put! :o  Linda came home from work at 8am and said I-10 eastbound is bumper to bumper.  If I have to leave, that will NOT be my route.  Gee, it's nice to know all the back roads. ;D

Daren, I'll bet your brother's boat is taking a licking about now...sure hope it keeps on ticking.  Let us know how he comes out.   Boats don't usually do too well in this kind of weather.  Anything under 100' is in serious peril.  The larger ones go to sea.  That's much safer than being caught at dockside.

Daren

He took a job in the marina he lives in now, he stays right there and keeps an eye on everyone elses boat. I will call him after it cools down. He did run from one last year (don't remember which), they were calling for 12' surge so before he left he tied off high to the moorings. At the last minute it changed course and they had an 8' drop as it turned away. He had some tight ropes to say the least. He is a good captain and his boat is a solid old Hatteras. He stays up all night making sure other peoples smaller craft don't break free and hit him.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

DanG

Its good to know that he's a seasoned skipper. :)  Sounds like a good boat, too.  When you posted about him, I was thinking, "Oh no! Another landlubber with a houseboat! :o"   :D :D :D  Even so, a 12' surge can put a 50' Hatteras right on top of your head!  A crowded marina is no place to be under those conditions!  He's probably ok on this one, as it got out to sea before it got too bad in Tampa.

We've had one little feeder band through here so far, then it cleared up.  Very calm out right now.  It is eerie to see the calm before the storm.  As Woodbowl said in a PM to me earlier, "We're gonna have a new hair-do by this time tomorrow!"  :D :D

SwampDonkey

I think it's monsoon weather here.  :-\  (not that bad, just heavy showers) We need the rain though, ground is hard as cement and dry. And to think it only stopped raining 3 weeks ago.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Just now getting the first rain from the storm. Been hot and partly cloudy here, all day.  ::)

Keep yer hat pulled down tight, all youn's in the Path.  I don't envy anyone of y'all.  :o :(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!