iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you play tricks on people?

Started by Daren, July 07, 2005, 10:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I got thinking today it was about time to mess with my Grampa again here soon (you have to know the guy, you have to get him before he gets you, he is a blast). He is a farmer. 2 years ago, as the story goes, he was turning over a field in the spring and came across a big rock right in the middle of 80 acres. It was way too big for one man to move so he climbed in the truck and went to find my uncle. An hour later they came back and rock was on the fencerow 100 yards from where it was and the tractor was still in the same spot. Nobody knows who moved it (or how, or why would they go out and do it for no good reason), that is what makes it so fun. He talked about it all summer. Then we (my Dad, brother, buddies, wife..) decided to start messing with him. We knew every time he drove by that field he looked at that rock and wondered, so we got the idea to move it to the other fencerow, he never said a word. He was gone one day, so we moved it to behind his shed (3 miles from the rocks original home) still nothing. We have put that darn rock in his front yard, in his camping spot, in another field right at the lane... He won't even give us the satifaction of giving it  second look, no matter where it is. He is too cool, we make each other smile. I am getting tired of hauling that big rock around. (maybe that is his plan, wear me down)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

DanG

:D :D :D  He's gotcha by the short ones, Daren!  Ever stop to consider that the rock weren't where he said it was to start with?  Move it one more time, right in the middle of the field where he says he found it.  Do a little extra and bury it about two thirds.  Don't show up when he hollers for help.

Dr Phil
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Haytrader

::)

Ya'all are both crazy.

:D

Go for it.

;D
Haytrader

Daren

Right where it was, that is one place he wouldn't expect it. But DanG it, I would show up if he hollers no matter what , and like I said that darn rock is getting heavier I think. I won't give up on the rock (heck it is cheap fun), I just can't get too smug or the rock will start showing up at my place. He has had 76 years of experience at being cool, a couple years of a stupid rock is childs play. If it shows up here it is a whole new ballgame.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Tom

As cadets at Georgia Military College, there was a group of cadets that would, intermittently, move the Field Gun from in front of the Officer's club to various parts of the campus.  It was done for no reason and no one ever confessed.  The Maintenance man swore he would stop it.   He moved the gun to the front of the Cadre/Military building and made two large staples from inch and a half pipe. He used 20' lengths so the staples were 10 feet long, each.  He then drove the staples over each of the two trails, into the red, Georgia clay, and exclaimed "Nobody will move it now".

That night it was moved.  It was taken to the second story of the Old Capital Building and placed in the Lobby.

To make this move, someone, had to remove the staples, manhandle a 75mm Howitzer uphill for 200 yards and get it up two long flights of granite steps, open two locked entry doors and roll the instrument into the lobby.   No small task and quite a feat.

Bearing with the idea that young boys needed a little fun, the cadre fained anger but never followed up on any threats.  The gun would occasionally end up on the football field, the drill field, the steps of the Capitol building (one flight or the other), in the canteen, in the middle of the road in front of the barracks and various other places, some of which proposed a puzzle as to how it was accomplished.

In later years, the anti-war factions made it difficult for the military schools to exist and one result was the this gun was donated to the local National Guard Armory to help prevent bad press.

Tom

Do you read many of the old posts?  "A Funny Story" is a good place to start.   Here is a thread that you will appreciate if you are into practical jokes.

Ugly Eddy and the Trees

Daren,

The joke may be on you.  I'll bet your Grandpa is enjoying this more than you will ever know.  His joke is that he is ignoring you and he probably laughs every time the rock is moved, wondering, "where is he going to put it next?" :D

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

CHARLIE

Yep, yore old Granddad has y'all by the stones and is chuckling to himself 'cause he knows how much work y'all are doing trying to get a rise out of him.  If'n ya stop and think.....you are doing all the work and he's just chucklin' to himself.  I agree with DanG......put it back where it originally was and bury it 2/3s deep. ;D

I love playing jokes on people as long as no one gets hurt or embarrassed.  Stuff like what you are doing is what I enjoy.

A friend of mine lives across the street from his brother-in-law and is always doing something to him. The best one was during the summer about 10 years ago.  Everytime his brother-in-law and his sister went up to north Minnesota on the weekends, he'd fertilize his brother-in-laws lawn with that liquid fertilizer that you spray on with a garden hose.  All summer long his brother-in-law was complaining about how much he had to mow.  ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Haytrader

Several years ago I pulled a trick on a friend of mine. He worked at the local Co-op (feed store/elevator/gas station). I had aquired a rather large bra for the previous Halloween costume. When he wasn't looking, I put the bra in his pickup passenger side door with most of it hanging out. It was late in the afternoon before he realized why so many people were laughing at him. He had gone to the bank and the girls that work there asked him if he had a new GF. "No," he replied, "why do you ask" They told him it looked like she was a BIG GIRL

;D  :D  ;D  :D
Haytrader

moosehunter

Thats why there are other people, so as we can mess with 'em ;D
Had some friends that were building a house and I would go help when I could. The Mrs. bought a christmas tree, the Mr said the house wern't done yet so she couldn't have a christmas tree......... she got so mad the next time he wasn't looking she doused it with boy scout fuid and torched it :o. Well we thought she had every right to have a christmas tree so the next time they were both away at work we attached that scorched tree to the top roof rafter on the second story complete with lights, tinsel and ornimates!!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

GF

Put it in the middle of his driveway.  :D

KILROY

Put the rock in the back of his truck.

Ernie

That's funny Tom :D :D

When I first moved to Uruti, I was have the drains cleaned out by a mate of mine with his big excavator and we cooked up a tale for the locals.  This was the time when NZ had subsidies for import substitution.  I owned an old Combine and a small bulldozer and been cropping on land I leased near my fibreglass shop.  We put the story out that Alex wasn't cleaning out drains, he was digging irrigation canals for me and I was going to take the track gear off the bulldozer and mount it on the combine so that I could grow and harvest rice to get the import subsidy. The locals were sucked in right royally and were so disappointed when I just used the land for beef cattle.  This was 30 years ago and I still get reminded about it at least once a year.

A couple of them asked why I got my mill so I showed them my bits of angle I cut when I was playing around and told them I was getting into the angle wood business and had tied up the local market.

They all now know I'm nuts but they aren't sure when I'm serious 8) 8)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Fraxinus

I agree with DanG.  I'd put that rock right in the middle of that field where he claims it was in the first place and never say another word. :D :D
My father and I had something similar going some years ago only it wasn't a rock, it was half of an old union for 1/2" iron pipe that we had in the old days in our sugar orchard.  The thing was cross-threaded and of absolutely no use whatsoever but it kept turning up in strange places.  One morning I found it in my bowl of cereal.  I calmly took it to the sink, rinsed it off and put it in my pocket.  After about a month had gone by and I figured he had forgotten about it, I put it somewhere where I knew he would find it.  This went on for years.  Eventually the thing did disappear and never showed up again.
Now here's a trick you might play on your grandfather.  I have never seen it done but I can just imagine it might be very effective, especially on somebody with a weak stomach.
When nobody is looking, smear some peanut butter on the side of your shoe.  Later, when you're maybe watching TV or sitting around visiting, just happen to "notice" that stuff on your shoe and say something like "Oh, man, look at that!  I must have stepped in some dog crap!"  Then take your finger and swipe it off your shoe and put it in your mouth.  See how many people can keep their supper down. :o :o :o
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Bro. Noble

I used to play lots of 'practical jokes'  when I worked in town and had contact with people.  Now the only ones I see are the cows and my son Tom and my wife.  None of them have a sense of humor.  Why only yesterday,  my son asked me why I started milking on the wrong side of the barn.  We have four stalls on the east side and fouron the west.  We always want to end up on the west side so that cleanup can start up earlier.  The number of cows we have dictates that we have started on the west side for the past six months or so.  Yesterday,  my mind must have been wandering so while Tom was putting in the cows,  I turned some in on the east side.  So here he comes in saying "How come you started on the wrong side?" >:(  I told him I was just playing a trick on the cows :o ::)

He just gave me a dirty look-------I don't think he believed me ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sawguy21

I am enjoying these. My dad was a high school teacher and vice principal. He said (after I finished school) that if a kid pulled a clean prank, nobody hurt and no damage, and got away with it, more power to him/her(the guys definately did not have a monopoly here). However, if the perp was stupid enough to get caught, he/she was gonna get it :D
One teacher, a big German, had a Beetle that six of us stuck crossways between the school and the shop. We then hid where we could watch the fun. Shudda heard the roaring when he found it.
He got Dad, who was an equally big Irishman, and the two of them picked it up and quarter turned it :o Things got real quiet at school for a while.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bro. Noble

When I was teaching school,  we had a student teacher that was tall,dark, and handsome.  Well the libririan was a real looker,  but kinda the trashy type and got the hots for my student teacher.  I fixed it up with the school secretary to have a note delivered to the student teacher while he was giving a lesson.  It was a (phony of course) invitation from his admirer to come to the library after school and he could get a 'tour of her facilities'  :o :o :o

Needless to say,  he lost his train of thought ;D ;D

Haytrader

::)

Well, did he take the tour?
Inquireing minds want to know.

;D
Haytrader

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

james

do I play tricks on people?

smiley_biggrin01
nuff said
james

crtreedude

Speaking of High School pranks - my class pulled a couple for Senior prank day, and I assume the statute of limitation has ran out.... I was part of them.  ;D

Part of our school was suburbs, and part rural so we decided putting a full grown cow on the roof would be neat - and we did it.

The other thing was to release a descented skunk in the hallway during change over of classes.

I was responsible for smearing contact explosive on the floor which when it dried sounded like a bunch of firecrackers.

None of the perps were every caught.  :D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Faron

A "Buddy" with whom I was sharing rides once hot wired his truck seat so that when he touched a wire behind the seat to an insulated metal plate, it bit me on the hind end like a tiger.  :o :o :D I tried to open the truck door and jump out, but grabbing the handle just made it bite harder, and I couldn't get the door open.  Naturally he had tipped off the owners of the neighboring automobile repair shop, and so had a large audience out watching my plight! ;D

Back in high school, one particular math teacher wasn't real popular with a few boys.  When he presided over the study hall, he liked to lean his chair back on two legs.  The desk sat at the rear of the room, and sat up on a platform about 10" high.  One day a couple of boys moved the desk back a few inches, so that the back chair legs just barely were on the platform. Of course when "Pierre"  scooted the chair back........  Luckily he wasn't injured, but was greatly embarrassed.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Bro. Noble

That student teacher was a real strait-laced, bashful sort of guy.  He was in a real sweat so I had to tell him what was going on :D

Murf

I was making some imitation beams for a friends basement renovations, carved and painted expanded foam.

My wife didn't see them until they were finished, and I didn't tell her how I made them either.  ;)

I asked her if she could come out to the shop and give me a hand with something, a pretty common request since at the time (and mostly still) I'm not supposed to lift much more than a full fork of food.

I timed it just such that as she came across the yard I came out the shop door, with a 14' long, 12" square 'beam' over each shoulder.  :o

I thought it was a lot funnier than she did.  :D

She has no sense of ha-ha sometimes, that was one of them.  ::)

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

asy

Daren, I agree, move the rock back to the field, but paint it bright blue or yellow or such. Then claim you can't see it when he says something..

What rock, Grampa??  You're seeing things...

Although I suspect that won't work, I suspect, in the words of a famous Texan.. y'all got yerself a case of the tail waggin' the dawg.

asy :D

PS: I've never ever played any practical jokes ever.  :)
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!