iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My table saw died

Started by Kevin, July 27, 2002, 09:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

What 10" table saws are getting the best reviews these days?
Thanks.

Frank_Pender

I have a Powermatic, Kevin.  They are a bit expensive, but well worth the investment.  It is like a Mobil Dimension Mill,  you can always get a good price if you ever need to sell. 8) 8) Sometimes you can find an used saw when a school changes its inventory.  
Frank Pender

Norm

I agree with Frank, the powermatic is a good saw, I have the contracter version which is 10" but the motor is a little under powered. Saving my pennies for the model 66.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/hi/B0000225QR/qid=1027860159/sr=32-3/ref=sr_32_3_etk-kitchen/002-7282086-2115220

Kevin

I `ll have a look thanks.

Kevin

It doesn`t appear that they sell their product in Canada.

QuoteIf you need help locating a dealer for Powermatic or Performax brand merchandise outside the US, or JET brand products outside the US (excluding Canada), please email our

http://yew.forest.net/jetequip/search3.htm

DanG

Kevin, have you checked out Grizzly?  I don't have any direct experience with them, but their catalog, alone, is worth the effort to contact them. They have a pretty impressive lineup.

www.grizzly.com
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

QuoteCustomer Service:
          Currently we can process only U.S. orders and accept MasterCard, VISA and Novus credit cards.

Doesn`t look good but I`ll keep checking.  :-/
These saws may not meet Canadian Standards which means they don`t want to pay our corrupt Government an extra fee (blackmail) for selling their  product in Canada.

CHARLIE

Kevin, I was going to suggest Jet but it seems, based on your note, they don't sell in Canada.  Seems strange. l have a Jet cabinet saw which is of excellent quality and fit. Sadly, Jet purchased Powermatic a couple of years ago. Powermatic used to be the only U.S. woodworking equipment left. Jet isn't changing the quality but I believe some Powermatic is now built in Taiwan.  Both Powermatic and Jet are both excellent saws.

You might also check out the Delta Unisaw, but be sure to ask some people their opinions of Delta quality and service lately. Be sure not to purchase a saw of any brand made in mainland China.  

Grizzly makes some very good saws for the money. However their fit and finish do not necessarily equal Jet or Powermatic. When you buy a Grizzly, you may have to do some  "tweaking". Most people I've talked to that have Grizzly are happy with them.

I believe General makes a very good saw and it is a Canadian Company.

I recommend you access www.woodmagazine.com and see if they have tablesaws in their tool reviews. You can also do a search on the forums to see what is said about tablesaws or you can ask for questions and opinions from their forum members. They are a helpful lot.

It's a shame Jet doesn't do business in Canada. I have both their cabinet saw and their woodlathe and am extremely happy with both. They build a well built machine.

Is your old tablesaw trashed? Could it be refurbished with a new motor?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Norm

Maybe you could get someone in the US, say for example in Harrison Michigan, to buy one for you and just drive over and pick it up there.

Kevin

Norm, I can purchase almost anything from the U.S , it only becomes a problem when I have to cross the water filled ditch back into Canada.
If the product doesn`t say CSA I may have a problem, and then there`s a brokers fee, Canadian taxes and duty along with the difference in the dollar.
A two thousand dollar saw would end up costing me about $3500 CDN.
I don`t mind paying my fair share but I hate getting ripped off by my own government!
Delta, DeWalt and Craftsman are available here but I`m not sure about the others.

Norm

Sorry Kevin I didn't know that. So much for NAFTA, the Delta Unisaw used to be a great saw but I've been hearing some not so good reports about the latest models, but that is just heresay so who knows.

CHARLIE

Kevin, I still don't know what kind of table saw you are looking for. Contractor or Cabinet?  Take a look at these links.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodmall/charts/tablesaws/index.html

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodmall/charts/tablesaws2/chart.html

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodmall/charts/tablesaws2/mfg.html

Personally, I stay away from the one that begins with a 'C'.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kevin

Charlie, I don`t mind spending the money on a good contractor type saw, I need something heavy duty that will last but I`d like to stay with 110v.

Jeff

Kevin, have it delivered to me. I will make sure it works O.K., and then take it on up to the cabin where you can pick it up. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Texas Ranger

I run 4 table saws in my shop, 3 craftsman (2 contractor modles) and one delta contractor.  I would love a powermatic, but have less in the four saws (3 bought used) than in one powermatic.  Two are accurate enough for any job, and two are for rough cuts, break down boards, wobble saws, etc.

Find one you like, and can afford, and run with it.  Learn the eccentricities of it and live with it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bro. Noble

Kevin,

Frank mentioned finding one when a school changed inventory.

I was teaching Voc. AG. when they hired a new Superintendant.  He noticed our old cast iron radial arm saw and table saw (DeWalt).  Ask me how old they were.  I started bragging on them and told him they must be at least 30 years old.  What a mistake.  He insisted on replacing them right away.  We bought high priced stuff but it was junk compared to those old cast iron beauties.  I was glad he didn't notice our planer and drill press.
     If you can pick up those old classics, they are sure worth spending a little to fix up or even put a 110 motor on.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

D._Frederick

Kevin,
General has a saw about like a copy of the Delta Unisaw, They a very good quality and are made in Canada. I don't know how good thier fence is. Some of the after market fence are better designed. It seams to me that the quality of both Delta and Powermatic has decreased since they have gone off shore to reduce costs.
I bought a Powermatic Model 66 saw in 1975 and it had problems back then. The wing tables had to be shimmed-up because the were not ground at a 90 degree angle to the surface, The fence was warbbed and had to be replaced.

Frank_Pender

Kevin, even on the Griz. one of my brothers-in-law did not like the fact that the arbor shaft was out of round and removed it and had a new one maid.  Bye the time he finsished his remodel job of the saw, about the only thing original was the label on the side of the housing, he decided to leave it alone. :D H build his own fence and such and found that his cutting was only of about 2,000ths.  My Powermatic is pre 70 and has a Bisemer (sp) fence with the extra wings, as well as a full table attatched making the whole unit 10' x 10'.  I will try and remember to check and see what one of that vintage is running, here in the West and let you know.
Frank Pender

CHARLIE

Kevin, I think if I was in your situation, I'd be looking at either the DeWalt or the General.  I looked at one of the charts I listed for you and the DeWalt can be run at 110V or 220V.  Do a search on www.woodmagazine.com for DeWalt Tablesaw and see what people were saying about it. I think it is a pretty good saw. Don't buy any tablesaw with a direct drive motor. Make sure it had 'V' belt drive.

Take a look at this thread Kevin. It's in the Woodmagazine Tool Forum. It's a Canadian asking the same question you did. Looks like General might be a good choice.......

http://talk.woodmagazine.com/default.sph/woodTalk.class?FNC=getReplies__AWOODsubject_list_html___1___1155995___6___2
Charlie

Kevin

That`s a good read, thanks.
I`ll start hunting for General here and see where it takes me.

Eggsander

I've had my Powermatic 64A (contractor type) for a couple of years now, It's a great saw.
Kevin, if you go to Amazon.com, their tools section is actually Tool Crib of the North ( based in North Dakota). They sell Powermatic, Jet, Delta, etc. Is the deal that you can't buy these products at all, or that you have to pay a bunch of extra taxes to get 'em.
I've never used anything from General but I have looked them over at tool shows, seems to be well made, but hard to say until you've used it.
Another good place for tool info is the forum at Fine Woodworking www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/index.asp
Steve

bitternut

Hey Kevin

I have the General with a Biesemeyer fence. Mine is their best model 10". Bought it in Hamilton, Ontario and brought it back home to NY over the Queenston Bridge. Great saw and great fence. Easy to set up and stays set up. Have never had to change a thing since it was set up. I'd do it again in a minute.

Good luck in your search

Kevin

I went in to one of the major lumber stores today and asked at the service desk if they could order a General table saw.
The reply was ... I don`t think so.
I hate that   >:(
Anyway, I found Generals home page and they have a distributor a couple hundred miles from here so I`ll give them a call early next week.

Thank You Sponsors!