iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pig Roast/family vacation

Started by Curlywoods, July 05, 2005, 11:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curlywoods

I am trying to get my wife and daughter to come along on the trip to the Pig Roast.  I have asked Jeff for some fun things to do and places to see in the northern part of Michigan with the family.  I would imagine that this would include some nice scenic areas and some touristy type shops and unique areas for the women to view and wander around.  I would also like to find some rustic and remote cabins (well rustic to a point.  I know that a TV will be required as a minimum  :D) to spend a few days during the visit.

Of course since this is also a "business trip", if any of your sawyers in this area are interested in showing me your operations, I would love to drop by and visit during our hopefully extended visit to northern Michigan/UP area.
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Tom

You gotta go see that Water Driven Sawmill north of Jeff, Mike.  The whole display is a good one.  Jeff took me in there and I hated to leave.

Jeff

Here is a thread from our travel section.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7500.0

Going up the I-75 corridor from our place, you could hit several things, a couple being "Must sees" if coming to Michigan. One would be simply crossing the Big Macinaw Bridge, then other would be going on up to the soo and seeing the Locks.  In between you have old Mill creek. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3669.0

Hartwick Pines, possibly Mackinaw Island, off the highway a little bit is the Pictured rocks in munising and the tequamenon falls near Newberry (largest falls east of the Mississippi other then Niagra)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Curlywoods.  Hope you're wife and daughter will make the trip with you. Guess your thinking they want a life outside of the 'wood' business?  :D :D ;D
After the Piggy Roast, going North through MI across that bridge, and then either West across the UP (or around the North side of Lake Superior for another beautiful drive), and then down through Wisconsin or down through Minnesota would make a pretty good vacation, IMO. Could reverse that route and come back through MI to the Piggy Roast (then we'd hear the stories if things you saw along the way :) ).
So much to see, so little time.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Mackinaw would be a must see for touristy type stuff.  This includes the Island as well as the City.  Petoskey and it's Gaslight District are scenic as well although the Gaslight Shops are a little spendy it is quaint.  The Corely5 Farm would also be on the list ;)  Only 7 miles from I-75 ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

Yup, the UP/tip of the LP has the most to see and do, but there are plenty of smaller things to see and do in the LP.
Do you happen to have an idea of your route to the roast and how far off route you want to travel?
Refresh my memory, how old is your daughter, young adult?
Most of the tourist type towns have plenty of small shops for shopping.
I just read about the sunset crusies the ferries are having under the Macinaw Bridge, hold on while I go find it.

Here we go!
http://www.stignace.com/
click on Mackinac Bridge Cruises on the left.
There is also plenty of info on the area as well.

Weekend_Sawyer

Curleywoods, you been reading my mind!

When Celest and I leave the picnic we plan on taking the long way home. We are going to head north into the UP and turn Left. We plan on crossing the UP and generally make our way to Colorado. The plan gets pretty cloudy here but we should be logging quite a few miles on the ol Road King.

Are there any suggestions for the centeral and western part of the UP?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!