iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling all tightwads, packrats and home made do it yer' selfers. Pics please.

Started by woodbowl, July 03, 2005, 06:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

scott, I found a piece of commercial neoprene at a rubber supply  locally. I should have updated all this by now. The fuel pump is holding good. No leaks. 8)                                                                                                                          iain,  what is bodging? ............... That's a new one on me! Is that what they do in the snow up north when a bunch of people get on one sled and go down a hill? Or is it when your bushhogging and get the tractor stuck in a bog hole?                                                                                                                         

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: iain on November 03, 2005, 04:38:45 PM
Swampy    you can buy them threaders at lee valley

woodbowl  nice bodging

iain

That's why I tried (and failed at) the homemade route. Like my uncle says, you have to try anything once (even if it costs more in the end). ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: Modat22 on November 03, 2005, 08:09:10 AM
I have one of those evil gray market tractors (satoh 650g). It shattered a clutch 3 years ago and I didn't want to pay 400.00 for a new clutch (every part for this tractor costs a fortune) So I broke the tractor apart and found an 8 inch clutch in there. I drilled out the old clutch revits removed the old pieces of clutch pad. I then bought a 30.00 chevet clutch, removed the clutch pad, redrilled and revited this to my old clutch assy.

I then used my wood router with a flush trimming bit to trim the clutch pad to size, reinstalled and its worked ever since.
Way to go..now thats getting it done!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

highpockets

Woodbowl
I thought you might be interested in a metal cutting bandsaw. Some fifteen years ago I needed a larger saw for my shop.  Since I did not have $6,000.00 to throw away, I built this saw in 40 hours. It runs a 10'-10"  x 1"  10-14 metrix blade.  It will cut a piece of 4140 3 1/2 bar stock in some three minutes.  It is all automatic. Push the button and the blades falls until it feels the metal. When the preset weight is applied it stops until the blade unloads and it drops again.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

woodbowl

HP, I wish more people would take a chance on themselves and build something. Even if it doesn't work, it is a stepping stone for the next project. Have you ever wanted to build a swingblade?  ::)  I just bet you could do it without much problem. There are several folks here on the forum that have expressed an interest in doing it. Dangerous_Dan built a homemade swinger        https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17100.msg246313#msg246313  and he's tweeking it out now.
     Once that homemade building bug hits, there is no limit to what can be done. I looked at your site, you've really got some nice looking homemade machines. Some of mine look a little crude, but they work.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

highpockets

Woodbowl, the only thing I can say is that God blessed me with a fairly nice machine shop over twenty years and I have a lot to do with.  Yes, I have thought about a swinger and have kind of been gather up pieces and parts.  I have some 20' pieces of 4' x 6" x 1/4 square tubing I got when I junked some large cultivators.  I have my eye on a VW engine right now.  I'm pretty sure I have a gearbox laying around.  I just am not sure I want to get into that type of thing. Bertha (my winch truck) wants one more winch (a 30K tulsa) and I am wanting to redo my planner and my friend wants me to finish his edger.  Old age controls a lot of things.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

highpockets

Here is another little project I worked on for several months.  It is a cnc wood router.  The butterfly is about 14"x14" with a cut depth of some  0.075"

This is the starting of the framing.

This was a test cut in plastic.

This is a photo while I was working out the electronics.

The LSU sign is something I cut on the cnc plasma cutter and had powder coated.

Louisiana Country boy

Don_Papenburg

Highpockets ,  Did you have plans for that cnc or just make it up as you went along?  How big is your table , what where did you get the components to make it ? and a whole bunch more ?????????? that I haven't thought of yet.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

highpockets

Don, I more or less shot from the hip.  The table is about 27" x 46" working area.  I bought the stepper motors from Ebay and got some from "sandman3344".  He also had some of the linear bearings for the X and Y axis.  The stepper driver is built by Xylotex.  I built the power supply using a computer power supply for the 5 volt D.C. and had a transformer from some old cathodic protection unit that furnish the 24 volt D.C..  The acme rod and nuts were bought from Enco.

I have a Torchmate cnc plasma cutter that I had bought some three years before so I had some idea of what I was dealing with as for graphic to vector conversion, etc. 

The little wood router is fun as it is cheap to run. It is not like you are cutting up a $70.00 piece of steel.  If you get interested, let me know.     
Louisiana Country boy

highpockets

This is the plasma cutter.  I wish I had had it when I built the mill.

smiley_smash
Louisiana Country boy

iain

Pockets if you was over here you could be cutting bits for me 8)

iain

sawguy21

My mouth is watering at the sight of that shop. VERY nice setup. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandman2234

I was helping a friend work on his car. He wanted the electric headlight motors to work, but the gear was worn, and would bind when operating them. I took one of the gearboxes apart, cut a small piece of shim material (Pepsi can) and shimed the bearing surfaces. That moved the shaft just enough to grab some new metal on the gear. I then ordered him a new set of motors.
   Years later I purchased the car, and was glad to see the headlight motors still work. I also got a new set still in the box, which are now worth a pretty penny. 1966 Corvette parts don't grow on trees.
    David from jax

Don_Papenburg

Highpockets ,   I am interested but I have to finnish my house and shop first.    But why do you need 5 and 24 vdc?   And how the heck do you make an etch a scetch drive make nice curves  without the jerky line like I used to draw.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

highpockets

Don, the 5 volts feed the electronics of the driver.  The 24 volts is what is switched by the electronics to feed the stepper motors.  Most stepper motors are rated at a certain voltage but are operated at from 6  to 10 times rated voltage. 

The system works on an X and y axis for movement of the cutter horizontally. For example if you want a circle you can draw it in programs like Autocad.  The circle is vectored into x and y signals. There is a motor for each direction and works independently.  The butterfly was scanned into Coreldraw 8. I then vectored it and told the machine how I wanted the cuts sequenced.  Then hit the button.  The depth of cut is the Z axis.   
Louisiana Country boy

sandman2234

I think he meant me when he said "sandman3344".
     Highpockets and I crossed paths when I saw a set of tooling for sale on his website. He has spent many, many hours since then trying to explain simple matters to me, mostly concerned with the flowing of electrons and hydraulic oil.
    I hauled a load of surplus junk out his way and he hated to not take it, since I had my wife with me. If I had been by myself, it might have been different.
     I think he is wondering when I will ever finish my router, since I have most of the parts, and thanks to him, all the electric parts done.
     I wonder when he is going to give Bertha that winch she has been asking for.
    Good friend that Highpockets is!
         David from jax

Modat22

For the guys interested in the CNC machines have a peek at

www.cnczone.com there are a bunch of nice plans over there in PDF format. The jagro router is a very good small scale starter machine.

Meshcam is a very good (cheap) drafting software and mach2 is a really nice NC code control software (it controls the motor control circuit)

The jagro design actually uses MDF as the main component building material.
remember man that thy are dust.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!