iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's a feller to do?

Started by JoeyLowe, July 27, 2002, 07:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

This time last month, I had more hickory than a feller could shake a stick at. ;D  I couldn't give it away.  This month, I have no hickory and now everybody wants it.  There's a guy in Houston who needs 30,000 bf FAS and another man in California who wants "all" I can supply.  He makes a baseball bats.  Of course, I can't find any hickory right now to fit the bill.  Go figure! >:(  I've spoke with 4 loggers and they all tell me it's to hot to log right now.  Come back in 3 months.  I didn't know loggers made so much money that they could afford to layoff in the Texas heat. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Bibbyman

Yerp,  been there.  Will be again - probably ::)

That's part of the reason we've got a log lot full of logs right now.  6 months ago we had orders were we had to scrape and even cut a few logs off our farm to get them filled.  Loggers didn't have time to deal with the little guy.  Then a couple of local log markets dried up and they all decided at once they could probably do with a couple of checks that didn't bounce when they tried to deposit them.  They call from time to time just to see if we could take another couple of loads.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Frank_Pender

I can relate to the both of you fellas on the sellers wanting to dump logs on me from time to time, especially when the mills are shutdown for the holidays for  week or two.  ::) But, it is not the hardwoods  that are wanting to find their way to my log yard, rather the soft  woods, such as the Firs. :'(  I have 70 acres of that myself  if I have to cut some for an order.  ;)
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

Joey,
  You saw hickory in this heat and it will be stained bbefore you can get it off the saw deck.  I try not to saw hickory when the temp is above 70.  If I saw hickory now It goes right on stickers and into a kiln before the sun sets.  I went through a spell last spring on ash  and try to get some off of Bibbyman as they were trying to dump it on him.  Then he couldn't get it either.  They will wait to see what you do not have and order that.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

JoeyLowe

David:

Thanks for the input on the Hickory!  No wonder everybody wants it now.  I called the only other local mill on Friday to see what they have in stock.  (This is a large commercial mill)  They usually keep a large warehouse full of kiln dried hardwood available to the local cabinet shops.  I have been receiving a lot of calls from local cabinet makers wanting this or that so I figured something must be up.  This commercial mill has two large kilns.  The lady that answered the phone told me that they have no hardwood in stock, nothing in the kiln to be dried and don't have any plans for anything in the near future.  Explains all of the calls I've been getting.

Anyone goingt to Square Rock Lumber i Waldron, Ar. on August 17th?  Woodmizer is putting on a show there.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

ARKANSAWYER

Yep!  That explains it.  Hickory is tuff in this heat.  Red oak and white oak have about 3 to 4 days to be on stickers and the log had not better lay around more then 2 weeks or it will stain.  I have had a few kilns needing hickory but can not get any good grade logs.  If I had some I would saw it at night and be there in the morning to sell before the sun ever shined on it.  You may want to remember this trend for next summer and stock pile some dry stock for just this as it should call for a price increase ;D.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!