iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

walnut and cherry

Started by TexasTimbers, July 02, 2005, 02:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I have an opportunity to buy walnut and cherry, S2S for $3 foot, random lenght and width "as good a walnut and cherry as you'll find"  according to the man. Been air drying for 7 years since he sold his sawmill. Haven't seen it yet - have to drive to Paris (Paris, Texas FYI you Yanks :D) to look at it.
Should I buy it for my first kiln charges at this price if its as good as he says? Says he has "several thousand feet of walnut"
He also has sassafras, bois d' arc, ash. Sold all the oak.
Input appreciated.
KJ

Oh yeah, he says it's 15/16"
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Buzz-sawyer

Kev
I dont know what your market is in Texhas..............But that is pretty high for air dried lumber here :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Brad_S.

I think it's a little high too. If you think you can dry it and turn a profit quickly, it may be worth it.
That 15/16ths stuff would scare me away from it.  >:( Almost impossible to get a 3/4" board from that. I like to see it 1 1/16" myself.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

JoeyLowe

Kevin:

I'm assuming he told you $3/BF and not $3/LF. ( :o).  At any rate, that is much too high.  I have people give me walnut logs all the time.  Kin Dried walnut FAS, S4S, is retailing for around $5/BF in Texas right now.  Air dried is going for about $1.25/BF.  As for the cherry, it is probably cherry laurel if he milled Texas logs.   That is good wood, but I wouldn't give more than .50/BF for that.  The osage orange (if it has good color and is free of knots and holes) may be worth as much as $1/BF for air dried. 

Like the other poster said, 15/16th's is much to thin to place in a kiln (what kind of kiln?) and expect much out of it.  If he's wanting to dump the lumber, offer him $.50/BF for the whole lot, but expect a lot of waste.  Ws it air dried in the open under tin or was it placed in a barn?  BOL.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

TexasTimbers

Oki doki one and all. That's why i asked - I figured it was a little high, but I thought around $2 (yes Joey it's a bf  ;)) might be okay but even that sounds too high to the collective braintrust.
I'll pass on it. AFA it being given to you JL I'm jealous. I was "given" 40 acres of oak and various other trees last month - only to be taken away from me at the last minute.
It sent me back to being a "needy sawyer" AFA hardwoods go.
Still have plenty of Loblolly and cedar to cut, just not feasible to cut it right now.
thanks dudes ;D
KJ
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

mometal77

Kev,
I dont know if this is interesting enough but look on ebay for wood/lumber Some cool pics even.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!