iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire!!!!!

Started by Texas Ranger, June 30, 2005, 10:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Well, Florida has about 8 boys here in Texas now, under peculiar circumstances.  I was told that we have a very light season right now, with a lot of potential danger, but, if we didn't get out of state hands in now, it would be September before we could get any more.

That is strange to an old fire dog that went when and where needed.  Strange new world.........
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

??? ???

So what happens if we need our 8 boys to fight our own fires?  What about if you have floods and Idaho needs them?  This don't make no sense. >:(  Sounds to me like a bunch of paper shufflers have taken over the whole DanG operation.  Haven't they heard that with modern communications and transportation, we can respond faster than ever?  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Texas had "loaned" 8 guys to Idaho, just in case they need them, 'cause Idaho had loaned 8 to Florida, just in case we needed them.

What a buncha maroons. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

DanG, I asked the local boys if any were out on the Tonto in Arizona where the big ones are right now.  He said no, that there had bee a couple sent out but were sent back without seeing flames.

Guess I quit fighting fire at the right time.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dan_Shade

I'm grateful that those guys do what they do.  I've never seen a forest fire where I live, but I was in utah a few years ago, and in California, i can't imagine the work and danger involved tackling those things.  but man would it be fun clearing everything for a fire break!!!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sawguy21

Don't kid yerself, Dan. That is DanG hard work, hot, dirty and long hours. No fun at all. I went through Idaho Falls in 1988 during the big Yellowstone fire. We were on our way to CA with a fuel truck to chase a fire fighting helicopter. The smoke was so thick we could not see more than a couple of car lengths. What we thought was road construction were actually the lava beds.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

i guess you're right, put added pressure of having to get it done quickly into the mix.....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Rod

the forester said that only 6000 acs burnt this year here in west virginia

populus

Some smokejumpers are spending the summer in Central Park in New York City climbing trees to scout for Asian longhorned beetles. Hard work, but it's a lot easier than fighting fires!  I guess they'll get pulled back out west now that fire season is heating up.

Bro. Noble

My son-in-law is on the list to fight fires.  He expects to be sent west within the week.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!