iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

colorful and aromatic

Started by woodmills1, July 25, 2002, 08:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

tuesday morning was a bit different for me, had a customer come in with 2 small cedar, and 6 small black cherry logs.  could I cut them and get as much lumber as possible and no there are no nails.  third cut, ching a 10 penny so things got a little slower what with blade change, nail pullin and scanning.  biggest log was 11" at top but by sawing through and through then edging all of the flitches i did get a few 10" and lots of 8 and 9".  the cedar was cut at 9/16 ths for closet panneling and the cherry at 4/4 and 8/4. 2.6 hours got me $130 and the customer got 270 bd ft cherry and 113 square foot of half inch cedar.  He was real happy that I got so much from so little 8).  I didn't charge for a blade because he was willing to pay the $50 per to scan and pull.  so all told he got some nice lumber for $.34/ bd ft.  but really with the extra time for nails and maxi yield thats not to bad.  I checked the time after the cedar and nail incident so it was more like $.22 for the cherry and $.44 for the cedarwithnails. my lovely wive said boy you smell good after I was done :D :D :D.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

CHARLIE

A nice looking 1/2 Whack of lumber.  I'll bet he'll bring you more business because he was treated so well.....especially after you hit a nail when he said there was none.

Good job Woodmills! 8) 8)

Cherry is my favorite wood to build things from, but a sawblade will burn it easily. I reckon from the sugar content.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Norm

That's pretty quick cutting time for small logs, blade change, and scanning, sounds like the guy was lucky to find a good sawyer ;)

My favorite wood to cut is walnut, next is cherry. Have never had the opportunity to cut cedar, we have quite a bit of it on our farm but have never got around to trying it.

woodmills1

just found two red cedars at the bottem of the last 4 whacks of junky pine I bought and the same customer will pay $.76 for it.  sorry to repeat but, ORANGE YA HAPPY. :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!