iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

three point grapple skidder

Started by moosehunter, June 28, 2005, 01:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Any one using a three point grapple on a 35-50 hp tractor?? I am skidding LOTS of 5-10 inch red pines and am tire of climbing on & off the tractor.
Anyone want to rent me one????? ;D ;D
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

beenthere

moosehunter
Saw this site has an interesting 3pt grapple (look under log skidders).

http://www.logsplitters-ironoak.com/index.php
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bro. Noble

I think there was a post some while back where someone made one of those.  I been thinking about it.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

moosehunter

Thanks beenthere, I found that link doing a search but it wouldn't connect. Your link worked.

$3195  :o :o :o

Probubly worth every penny. I ain't got that many pennys to spare!

Bro. Noble, I have not found the thread on building one with a search, ifn ya find it, let me know.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Bro. Noble

/There was a picture of it on the random photos.  It was yellow.  Maybe someone can tell us about it.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

beenthere

There are a few 3pt attachments on this CAD plan site, that may give some ideas.

http://www.cadplans.com/

Seems to me something between the 'grapple' and the simple logging tongs would (could) (might) be made to work. :)

If we could get Cowboy Bob to teach us how to 'lasso' a log from the seat without getting off, and then reel them in (aha - EZ knows how to do that), we'd be half way there.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

maple flats

Not sure i've seen a 20 horse tractor even with weight on the front that could pick much of a log that fer behind the tractor. I have a 20 hp ford compact deisel and can lift and pull a good size log but it is with a 3 point arch and the butt ewnd of the log is meer inches behind the draw bar and even then I need to run a second chain from the log to the drawbar or I just drive out from under the load. (not good!) I think that would need something more like 30 or 35 horse minimum because just lifting is not the problem, you then need to drive with the load.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

ironmule2004

I have a 3-point Grapple that I use.  I use it behind an 80hp but a smaller machine would be ok for it.  That one make by iron-oak looks weak!

beenthere

Do you have a pic of your 3pt grapple?  Or a name/site where we can take a look at it?   :)
south central Wisconsin

Arthur

Doublecut have a self contained one that can be towed behind anything.  Give him a call im sure the price is a lot less than what you have so far and isnt just for a tractor.

Murf

I got halfway thru' buildin' one and stopped to use it as is an' still haven't finished it.

I used the frame of an old 3pth rear grader blade, the blade had been bent up bad an broke thru in a few spots. Got it at the county recycling yard .....  ;) .... the place some people call 'the dump'.

I had to make a new top  for the 3pth cause the old one was bent to bad to be trusted. Where the blade used to swivel I made a swivel plug and just hung tongs, I intended to make a hydraulic grapple, but needed logs moved before time allowed for buildin' em.

It works well, especially with a hydraulic toplink. I can snatch a log off the ground no problem, if it goes along with my wishes I don't even have to leave the seat.  :D

Look around for an old blade an get busy .......  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Kleek

I use a Nokka brand 3 pt grapple behind a 5320 4x4 John Deere.  It is a very impressive unit.  Saves a lot of time, also works good to safely pull down trees which have been hung up when felling in the woods.

BW_Williams

I built one using a back blade frame and a Valby grapple, worked great behind my TO-35 for a post and pole cut I did in a tight wood lot.  Here's the one I used,
http://www.valbysales.com/newpage111.htm,
I didn't use the rotator, because of lift height limit of the 3 pt., it would let the pole spin if needed to get out to the landing.  Next time I have it on the tractor, I'll try to take a pic of it.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

ironmule2004

I will try to post a pick of my grapples.

mike_van

northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company [hydraulics]  has one in their latest catalog - 700 lbs. & 3000.00.   Also one for a skidsteer.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!