iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

crazy ray fleck wood you know it?

Started by Buzz-sawyer, June 27, 2005, 08:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

I saw this veneer wood in a Chicago area restaurant last week........The rays are huge...MUCH larger than oak...Maybe some kinda south american wood?

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

Almost looks like q-sawn Sickymore, as Arky calls it ;D

Buzz-sawyer

It does...except the piece showed is only 16 inches wide...the figure is several inches long ....nothing like any local wood Ive ever cut or seen ??? ??? :P
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Looks like sycamore to me as well. Electric Al showed me some that was pretty close to that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Steve

I'll throw out a guess and say Lacewood. The original is from Autrailia although there are other similar looking woods that go by the name. Sorry don't know the scientific name.

Just a guess now.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

YUP, LACEWOOD I thought it was African though. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Curlywoods

Lacewood is from Australia. Leopardwood is similar, but darker and denser and it is from South America.
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

J D in AUS

If that was here in S. E. Queensland I would say Silky oak but  :-\ I do'nt know /do'nt think it is (silky oak)  J D in sunny slightly damp Q L D   ;D

sigidi

I'm with you on the silky oak JD, but maybe it's called lacewood when it goes overseas??

Too right about the damp!!! I've just about had enough, I got a room to finish off before folkes come to stay on Monday night, and I got a heap o work left ta do - this DanG rain aint helpin none!!!
Always willing to help - Allan

Steve

It is referred to as Silky Oak in Hawaii too. "Cause they got it from Australia I figured.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

SwampDonkey

Yup Silky Oak or Lacewood of Australia Cardwellia sublimia

Here's some specs

And just for the record, I've heard of this species, but would never ever have guessed it without researching a bit on Google.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Buzz-sawyer

Just for the record ..whatever it was , it was in a run down BURGER KING south of Chicago!!! :D :D :D :D

The rays were one inch wide and up to 4 inches long...............unlike the guitar and the last sample..........
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

Buzz, like anything else in the figured woods department... you'll never get two identical pieces. ;D ;D Come close if they're book-matched though. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Buzz, ya need to lable your wood pieces as when I keep looking at them pictures I get dizzy. An appropriate lable could read 'do not operate heavy equipment at least 2 hours after staring at this figured wood' ;D :D  :o My eyes, I'm dizzy. ;) Imagine an entire wall with that figure on it and I don't think I could hold down a whopper for as long as it takes to get to my car. Buzz ??? did you have a squeemish feeling coming out of the restaurant ???

:D :D :D

Sorry about the earlier assertion, you were write it could be any number of species. I got caught up in the euphoria and got mezmorized ;) :D

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

maple flats

SwampDonkey, I liked that website, just added it to my favs. It gives all of the characteristics of so many woods.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SwampDonkey

maple flats, I was thinking of making it a sticky in the Tree and Plant ID section. What do you think Tom, Jeff? Anyone?

Thank You Sponsors!