iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting an alternator out of a 95 Ford Econo Van

Started by Gilman, June 27, 2005, 04:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

Anyone removed an alternator from a Econline Van with AC before?

I tried until my apparently perfect stream of swearing was in harmonic balance with the church bells next door and they starting ringing.

Is there some bracket(s) or other junk I need to remove to wiggle that little bugger out?

Here's the van

I got it in exchange of a display cabinet for a retail store.  Out of pocket cost is about $250.00

DanG DanG DanG, I think I dropped my camera 1 too many times.  Its auto focus is correct about 50% of he time now.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

JimBuis

Hey there Gilman not to worry! ;)  On Thursday, me and my wifey will be in Gresham.   :)  If all else fails, me and Frank can come up there and give you a hand. 8) 8)  But of course, that might take some rain and nasty weather to get Frank to stop running that mill long enough to help out. ;D ;D  I have worked on a whole bunch of automobiles over the years, but can't offer much help without seeing it. :(  Every vehicle is different just about.  I can tell you that in situations like yours I have had to loosen other surrounding brackets to get enough wiggle room to work the alternator out of there.   "Think outside of the box!"  In other words, look for things that are not obvious such as taking the alternator out from underneath rather than fighting it from the top.  I have had some which required me to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the front of the engine to give me that extra fraction of inch that was needed to sneak something out from around the engine. :P :P

Let Frank know if you end up needing our help. ;D :D ;D :D

Jim
In Tokyo, Japan until Thursday
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Ernie

If all else fails, explosives are a lot of fun :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

sawguy21

Remove the oil pan and right front tire, jack up the left rear tire and shift the gas tank back 4.5467 inches  ;D. Seriously, you will have to be patient  and remove brackets until it is accessible. There was a reason you got it cheap.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tillaway

Scrap is at $110 a ton right now.  I see a trip to Schnitzer in the future. ;) ;D

That's why I will never own a van.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

DanG

In a situation like that, I yoozly stare at it for a while to get a good idea of what I'm lookin' at.  Then  I set down and cogitate about it for a week or two.  Beer seems to help the cogitatin' process.  If it ain't fixed itself by then, I just start taking stuff off till the suspected culprit is out, then try to remember where all that other stuff belongs.  I should take pictures before I dig into it, but I keep forgettin' that I've lost my memory. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

AutoZone.com has FREE online repair manuals.
I use them ALL the time!

DanG

I didn't know that! :P  Thanks Furby! 8) 8)  I usually just buy a Haynes manual whenever I buy a vehicle that I don't already have covered.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

I did to until they put them online.  8) 8) 8)
It does take a little playing with to get what you want out of their site, but once ya figure it out......I bet ya use it offten! ;)

Frank_Pender

I am with you Bob.  Listen, Dave, bring that baby down here on the trailer you used to hauled the planer and I will flatten the van with the D 5 for you. ;D  That way Schnitzer"s will be more accepting and less hassel, I am sure.
Frank Pender

isawlogs

Thanks for the link  Furby , nice to have that . I usualy do like Dan and buy a book ...  :P  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gilman

Frank_Pender

I know, you just happened to overlook my comment, I am sure.  You are welcome. ;D
Frank Pender

JimBuis

Now, now Frank!!  :o  I had offered you and I to go fix it for him.  If you smash it with a dozer, although it may be more compact for storage purposes, it may be harder for us to fix. ;D ;D  However, it would confirm that age-old saying, FORD.....Found On Road Dead. :-X :-X  Oh, wait a minute, guys....such talk is not being very compassionate to Gilman. :'(  We ought to be a bit kinder to our forum brother! :)
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Gilman

Found on Road Dead, actually I Left On Road Dead.

I took a new battery with me when I picked it up.  I figure a new battery would drive it for 50 miles.  Well, apparently it drove 49.95 miles  :D.  I made it to within 1.25 blocks from my house and it died in a no parking zone.  50 minutes to drive 49.95 miles, 1.5 hours to drive 1.25 blocks.  Go figure.

DanG

I feel yer pain, Gilman!  I'm just finishing up the repairs on my truck...timing chain.  Thing is, once I got inside, there was nothing wrong with the chain or gears. ??? ::) ???  I guess the distributor had just slipped a bit. All that work and expense for NUTHIN! >:( :'( :-[  Meanwhile, I had to go back to the parts house at least 3 times to exchange parts that were the wrong ones. >:(  Sometimes ya just can't win.

mometal77

At least it was not a honda.  Personally who needs explosives when you can just get a plasma cutter to do the job.  I agree jim some starters you have to lift the whole motor what a pain.  I swear those people over seas are getting smaller and smaller on building a car and here i am only 122 and five foot seven.   Dan i hope you used the all metal timing chain  those fiber ones i ran into break.  Depending on how long you are wanting to keep that rig.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Ernie

I had to rebuild the turbo in our Mazda MX6.  All I needed was one of those little Japanese guys with skinny arms, 4 elbows, 6 wrists and really powerful long fingers and it would have been no problem to get it out and back in but I think they keep them all chained up on the production line 8) 8) 8)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!