iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found in a tree!

Started by JimBuis, June 25, 2005, 09:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

I ain't never posted a pic before.  I hope it works.  Anyway, I saw this on one of the hometown newspaper's websites.  The site is:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.asp?brd=1719

They found a tombstone inside of a 150 year old ash in the city cemetary. :o :o :o :o

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-11997

Well....I am obviously dumber than a rock.  I tried this picture posting thing a bunch of times after reading the postings on how to do it and still managed to be less than successful. >:( >:( :( :(

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Daren

That is a weird thing to find, even weirder if it was not in a cemetary. I was the Plumbing foreman on a job that got shut down for a few days right in the middle of Decatur Illinois. We were installing sewer lines for a mini mall and  bones started showing up in the ditch spoils. We noticed the bones, but you see a little of everything digging, we figured it was cow bones from an old packing plant or the like. Once a human skull fell into the pile everyone knocked each other down to get out of the ditch. We called the cops, they shut us down and the place was crawling with everyone you could imagine. Finally city planners figured out 100 years before that they relocated (sort of) a cemetary for city expansion. They just moved the headstones (poltergiest?) ,what a mess. The whole thing freaked me out.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rebocardo

Amazing, you have to wonder why it was not stopped sometime in the first 50 years. The civil war?

DanG

Jim, you are so, so close on the pic posting thing.  What you are missing is the proper image code for the pic.  When you go to your gallery, what you see are thumbnails of the actual pics.  If you double click on the thumbnail, it will bring up the actual image. Just below and to the left of the pic it say's "copy image code." or something to that effect.  Click that and you will see it highlight the image code.  Don't do anything else in the gallery until you go back to your post and paste that in where you want the pic to appear.  Remember, you can only copy/paste one thing at a time.

I hope this helps, 'cause you got some nice pics in your gallery to show us. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mike_van

I wonder how many chains they dulled finding it ????
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Fraxinus

Somewhere around here I have a picture I took of the cemetery at the Cold Harbor battlefield in Virginia.  There is a huge oak in it which is about to grow around one of the stones.  That tree is so big there may already be one inside of it.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

JimBuis

I have tried everything that everyone has told me to do, so now I will try a picture posting method of my own.  Here goes.

Okay, when I clicked on the words "Click to copy photo insertion code" and it did nothing to highlight the photo code.  I see the "photo code" in small black letters from left to right immediately under the picture.  However, nothing I do highlights the code and if I go back to my post anyway and try to paste this is what is posted instead of the photo code:  javascript:selectThis('preSpan1')

This time I simply highlighted the photo code on my own and copied it then pasted it into here and it worked.  I'll just do it this way in the future.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Furby

Pretty much the same thing anyways.
Atleast now you know how to make it work.

Thanks for sharing the pic and link, makes me want to go check out some old cemetaries.

Fla._Deadheader

Takin yer chainsaw, Furby ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

The article said it was the top part of the gravestone and there were also some bricks so it sounds to me like there was at one time a hollow in the tree and people threw the stuff in there and the tree eventually grew around the stuff.
Still kind of strange........
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Buzz-sawyer

I think your right Spruce
Particularly since they claimed the trees growth "raised it "UP" 4' off the ground.............trees dont do that. :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ron Wenrich

I have a friend that was cutting a tree along a street that caused the same problems.  He started cutting and then threw sparks.  Sharpened the saw, and the same results.  He called his boss to bring the abrasive wheel saw that is used to cut through concrete.

Seems that the tree was right on the county line.  Our county used limestone markers to denote the border.  The tree grew around the marker.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!