iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you say quilted, spalted, bookmatches with birds eye 3 times fast?

Started by Daren, June 24, 2005, 04:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I had to 1/4 a biggish log to get it on my little bandmill. Man did I start pulling off some nice 24" wide bookmatches. I just posted pics in my album (the 3 last ones) the pics don't do the quilting justice, but you can sure see the spalt. One pic is a close-up showing some birds eye. Sorry I can't attach them to this post ('puter problems), but it is worth clicking my gallery (I think anyway) Made sawing in the darn near 100 degree weather a little less miserable. I got a stack chest high of those pretty dudes and am only getting started on the log, I had to do some estimating and stuff today so I didn't saw much. Plus, it is even hotter and I'm wimpy, it will still be there when I am ready.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Furby

Daren

Yup, them. Thanks Furby. Just an old red maple yard tree too big for anyone to move (46" x 14' of saw log and a big fork I sawed off and saved for later) so it layed until I spotted it . I could tell from the stump cut it was at least a little curly and looked like it was starting to spalt. So I did them a favor and hauled it off (a buddy got it with his endloader). I sawed it in half lengthways (didn't need anything that long) I started with the top half on the mill, the bottom will have wider boards, but I found a couple nails just looking at it. I figured I would saw the top first and if was worth messing with I would see how many nails I find with the blade :-\ in the butt end.

twoodward15

108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Daren

Don't sweat it Todd, I can save you a match or 2. It's an odd shape thing, even after I butcher it to get it on the mill I think I can get 1000 bft?. 1/2 will be o.k., the other half will be like the stuff in the pics.

twoodward15

I want the stuff in the pics.  That's exactly what I'm looking for!  I'm looking for some real gnarly but special looking lumber.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!