iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you keep cool working in the heat?

Started by fstedy, June 24, 2005, 12:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Buyer backed out of my house sale, sooo, been paintin all weekend and today.

Tried that inside of the glass thingy, but, after a fashion, I couldn't see where to put the rest of the paint.  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Ya see what time it is as I post this?  Ya see what I'm doin' right now?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

I can't SEE ya, but, I betcha I KNOW whatcher doin.  ;) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Yup, and I'm doing it in some thoroughly conditioned air, too. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fstedy

:D ;D ::) :) You betcha AC is the best. Does anybody make a mill with that option?  :) ::) ;D :D
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

DanG

I think so, but the likes of us can't afford them. :-\

Looks like the shade has moved back in over my truck, so I gots ta go finish putting it back together.  If I'm done wit dat in time, I might get to saw up a log or three. ;D

dail_h

Came home at lunch time,went ta bring the dog inside,it musta been 30 degrees cooler in the shade,but she likes ac too
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

bull

As of late I have been sittin in my new air conditioned cab. doing tractor work......

When working in the heat, start early, drink lots water and gator aide no Ice, also eat something when you drink  portion you lunch in 1/8 portionsand eat while working, don't stop for a sit down lunch break Quit early!!  T shirts and light pants.
The Gallon jug rule is a must when its 85 and over....  You can get punch drunk and foolish if you over saturate your self in high heat..  

bull

Teri

After helping with the painting today I went over to my boss's house and jumped in their pool.  8) 8) 8) 8)

Ernie

Gee it's so nice and cool here in NZ, perfect weather for felling, milling, surfing, well anything really :) :) :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Tom

Just a note about Gatorade and other power drinks.

In an article I watched on TV a few months ago, about dentists, it was recommended that Gatorade and like drinks be guzzled not sipped over a long period.  The article was about the hard time dentist were having making a living since Fluorides were added to drinking water, toothpaste and other oral-hygiene articles.

The invention of the power drinks and the socially accepted procedure of sipping a liquid all day, put the dentist back in the money when water in a bottle was replaced with the sugar and salt laden power drinks.   By sipping all day, it allows the sugars to build up a plaque on the surface of the teeth which isn't removed, usually, until later that evening.

While the dentist aren't recommending that people not hydrate themselves, they are recommending that the power drinks be consumed in one hurried  guzzling so that the entire prescription of electrolytes is ingested without build-up on the teeth.

Corley5

Too much Gatorade isn't good.  I've seen more than one guy pass up the water and guzzle only Gatorade only to end up sicker than a dog.  I'll take good old fashion water any day.  Cool but not cold ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Right on , Corley5.

I favor water too,but, a cooler of 1/2 strength Gatorade sure comes in handy when sawing in 100* Temperatures, in the middle of a pasture without any tree in sight.

I used to buy the stuff in powder form and mix it according to instructions until I found that it was making me sick.  I cut back on the powder and still got the benefit of the electrolytes.   I've found that a cooler of Gatorade isn't enough though.  You still need a cooler of water.    ........and enough sense to get out of the sun.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Daren

Kirk, bailing hay, that brings back bad memories from my youth. I used to work for a guy they called "Killer Sharp", cause he tried to kill every teenage boy in the area for 20 years. He had 6 rack wagons, most guys had 1 or 2, you loaded them, got a cool ride to the barn, put it up and cooled off again on the way back to the field. "Killer" would cut and bail (never bailed if it was under 90) we followed the wagons and loaded all 6, made one trip to the barn, and spent the afternoon putting it up (I'm 6'3" so he thought I could stack higher, so I was stuck in the loft). If you made it through the day at his pace, he would shove your pay in your hand, whatever he though you were worth. If he asked your name you knew he was going to call you and try to again to work you to death. I was a dumb kid, I told him my name, I lifted alot of hay for that man for the next few years. Hated every minute of it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ksu_chainsaw

Well, it depends on where I'm at and what I'm doing.  On the tractor, I hang a couple of those camelbacks under the canopy of the tractor- I added a couple hooks up there for that. The camelbacks have ice water in them.  I also carry a half gallon jug of gatoraide- mixed about 3/4 strength.  We have about given up throwing hay- we just use the tractor to pick up the bundles of square bales- much quicker and CHEAPER  ;D.  I also wear a light weight long sleeve cotton shirt- as it gets wet with sweat, the wind cools you off more than if you wear a t-shirt.  If it wasnt so humid around here, I would wear the Under-Armor type wicking shirts- but all that does here is just soak the shirts, not evaporate.

While I was overseas, we stayed inside as much as possible during the day.  Even the best air conditioners couldnt keep up with that heat, so vehicles never got below 85 degrees.  We never stopped drinking water, as if you did, you would have an IV in your arm in about 30 minutes due to all the gear we had.  This is where I learned about the camelbacks and the Under-Armor shirts, and I used them as much as possible over there.

Just what I think

Charles

Jeff

Quote from: fstedy on June 27, 2005, 03:31:03 PM
:D ;D ::) :) You betcha AC is the best. Does anybody make a mill with that option?  :) ::) ;D :D

I USED to work in one every day.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rockn H

Quote from: moosehunter on June 24, 2005, 04:37:34 PM
Pickles work wonders. The juice is good too.
mh

I remember back in the 90's when there were still saw hands around here, they used to carry a jug of vinegar and water along with their gas and bar oil.  Anyone else heard of any similar home brews?

Frank_Pender

I simply keep the wife away from the mill operation.    8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

fstedy

8) 8) 8) Jeez Jeff how come you get all the neat stuff? Air Conditioned Sawmill Cab, Russian Chainsaw, WM Yellowish Orange Mill, next you'll be tellin us about that Swingmill you just happened to come across!!!  8) 8) 8)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

OneWithWood

With the intense heat of 95+ and 100% humidity I have added a bottle of Reed's Ginger Brew to my cooler along with a quart bottle of water and a quart bottle of gatorade.  The ginger acts like an antifreeze/coolant for the body.  When the liquids have been consumed it is time to quit.
It doesn't take much of an excuse for me to totally forget about splitting wood and piddle around in the workshop with the humidifier providing a less humid environment.  A midday nap is a great thing too.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Paint is starting to dry so fast, the brush sticks to the house.  ::)  Time for anudder game plan.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

UPDATE:  Tried anudder go round of paintin. DanG boards on the South side, are like paintin SPONGES. This is just the trim boards, so far.

I'd rather take a whoopin than paint a DanG house, OF ANY SIZE.  >:( ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Norm

Boy I know what you mean Harold, I just got in from spraying a cleaning solution on my cedar siding. The stuff is supposed to be harmless...Not. Went home and showered but the inside of my mouth taste like I've been gargling bleach :-X

beenthere

Norm
Are your teeth whiter now?  ;D

How did the siding look after treating it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!