iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you keep cool working in the heat?

Started by fstedy, June 24, 2005, 12:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

:) ;D :D How do you all keep cooled down when working in the heat? :D ;D :) I usually take two bandanas wet them with cold water and tie one around my head and one around my neck. This works pretty well for me.  ::) ::) ::) Who will be the first with a wise crack?  ::) ::) ::)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Furby

Here's a thread from last summer:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7885.0

I was telling Mule Man just the other day that it's been hot and humid here and putting up siding is taking a while.
I take a piece, put it up. Go inside and sit in front of a fan for a while. On the way out I grab another piece and put it up, then go back to the fan. ;D
Takes 5 minutes to put a piece up...............15 minutes to cool off.
Gonna take a while. :D :D :D

Tom

I drink lots of water.  I keep the water jug under a tree where I have to walk to get it. It's so cool under there that I sit while I drink so that the trip is worth while.  ;D

I look forward to company.  Usually an old customer will show up.  I'll shake his hand and head for the water cooler. ;D

Usually the off-bearer is looking over my shoulder.  He'll get real interested and ask me a question.   We'll  head for the water cooler.

Dinner happens in the heat of the day.  It's a lot more comfortable on the porch, so an hour and a half is in order so that we can drink that last glass of ice tea.

The walk back to the mill will really take it out of you so we stop by the water cooler.

A big hat keeps the sun off of your head and a towel feels good to wipe the sweat from your face.  The water cooler is best.  I go there when I start sweating.

Being a Southerner, we've learned the art of moseying.  You will hear us explain that Fast doesn't get it done, Steady gets it done.    We'll work steady like this all day.  No hurry to quit if the fish aren't biteing.  As long as there is light and a water cooler, we are good to go.

It's that running around like a chicken with his head cut off that wears you out.  I figure that God made tomorrow so that I don't have to do it all today.  ;D :D

CHARLIE

Back in '95 (that was way back in the last century) when I was working for Tom, it was 95° and all the shade had been cut down and was stacked for sawing.  I was so hot and sweaty that my shoes squished when I walked. So, and I don't advise this, I walked over to the water cooler, poured a cup of ice water and dumped it on my head. OUCH!  Sheesh! That made an icecream headache seem mild.  Geeeez that hurt.  Actually, what Tom did to help me beat the heat was feed me a can of peas for lunch.   :o  'Cause..... "If'n ya eat to much, ya won't want to work."  I'm sure being hungry kept me cooler too. ;D 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

fstedy

8) 8) 8) I was wondering when that can "o" peas was going to surface again  8) 8) 8)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

twoodward15

It aint got hot here yet and you're asking questions like this????
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

MULE_MAN

Well it's going to get plenty Hot here today in Missouri, There calling for
it to get to 96 deg.   :o  I try to drink plenty of water , And  take more breaks when it's
that Hot .  I also make sure all the dogs have fresh water in this kind of heat
I'm sure they don't like drinking Hot water  >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

mike_van

I run up the "BLACK FLAG"  and quit for the day !  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Yep, I'm all hot, sweaty, and covered with chainsaw dust. If I had a pool now, I'd have to clean it too before I got out  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ohsoloco

I also like to drink lots of water and take a lot of breaks when it's hot.  When it's really hot, I find something to do other than run the sawmill  ;)

Mule man, my dog doesn't drink her water if it's been sitting around for a while.  She'll just look at me, then look at her water and bat the dish with her paw.  She actually prefers toilet water since it gets refreshed more often  :D

MULE_MAN

:D  :D  :D  Where do you people come from  :D  :D   ;D

I think I feel Sorry for yoor Dog   ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

moosehunter

Pickles work wonders. The juice is good too.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

VA-Sawyer

I don't know why you all are griping. I've been doing some repair/upgrade work to my kiln since I took out the load on Monday. It feels real good to walk out into the cool outdoors. Even with the fans running and the doors open it is between 110 and 120 F inside. I'm almost done with it, so I hope I can do some easy cool sawing tomorrow.  :)
VA-Sawyer

OneWithWood

I dunno, I think I'm wearing down a bit.  It was 93 with 96% humidity and no wind down by the creek where I was working.  Felled 10 trees, 3 beech, 5 maple and 2 black oaks.  Then I bucked them all to 9' lengths for firewood.  This TSI stuff is a lot of work!!!  Drank up all my water and gatoraide so I had to quit at noon.  Came in to change out of my saturated clothes and eat some cold watermelon.  Took a nap and decided the rest of the day was going to be spent indoors and out of the hot sun.  Where's that smiley with the sweat pouring off of him?
Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter with the same humidity.  I am going to attempt to get the forwarding trailer down close to the stream and haul the logs up to the firewood processing station.  Hope to be done by 10am :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ed_K

O.W.W, you did good. I got 6 black birch cut and bucked, hauled to the landing and quit for the day. I take a 1/2 gal of water with me, when it gone, so am I  ;D.
Ed K

Don_Papenburg

Drink lots of liquids , work in the shade ,in front of the fan or drive the tractor with the air conditioner that works .  wear a short sleave shirt when sandblasting . takes a little getting used to  but it is cooler.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

isawlogs

When it gets hot .. I just turn and go to my shop ... its cool in there and there a fridge with a bunch of cold ones waiting to be helped outa dere ...  ;D  But for the past week I've been on antibiotics so alls I could have was them glasses of ice cubes with water .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

Work in the morning and evenings when it's cooler and lay up some where cool midday.  But then ya gotta make hay when the sun shines so we were baling this afternoon when it was 95.  At least there was a breeze ;)  I'm gonna unload it tomorrow evening when it's cooler ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kirk_Allen

Well Dad bailed hay today..................without me ;D  I didnt know he was bailing until I called him this afternoon and with a 2 hour drive to get there I was no help.  Not sure what I could have done anyway as the seperated ribs is still hurtin from the last bailing feasco.

I know its to hot to cut so I stayed in the Office today and played catch-up.

Wifes Birthday tomarrow so were going shopping in Indy :o

Coot

I try to wear lighter clothing , like white tvs or no t shirts , shorts or if u dont wear shorts i just go comando in my work pants  ::) , seems to keep me a bit cooler as well as lots of water water water

jrdwyer

I sure try to stay out the flat, mosquitoe infested bottoms in the summer. It is significantly more uncomfortable than up in the hills. It dosen't always work out though as landowners expect everything ASAP. Other than that, I wear as light as possible cotton work shirts and pants and have lots of water or lemonade to drink.

I did detassling of corn as a 13-14 year old in Iowa and thought that was hot work, but bottomland woods on a hot summer day are definitely worse. I am sure someone will top this story with their asphalt road work experience.

Patty

Detassling corn on a hot summer day in Iowa is one job you never forget...even if you try to really hard. I detassled for 3 years, it was the best paying job available for a 13 year old.

Made me want to marry a rich man or get a college education so I wouldn't have to do it ever again!  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

shopteacher

I try to stay on the inside of the glass. ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!