iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thunder fire

Started by buck5611, June 23, 2005, 04:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck5611

Tuesday evening I was seating in the front porch watching a big and long electric storm. By counting the time betwen the lightning and the sound I told my wife that this storm was around my woodlot about 15 km from home. Yesterday morning.height thirty, the phone rang and  I was advise that a fire was going on my woodlot.I tink I never put my workboots on so fast. The fire was into a big cedar about 40 in diam and hollow for 20 ft  and this was acting like a chimney. We bring water with a five gallon bucket and we were able to contol the fire so it cannot jump off that tree. After that we use a fire pump and kill the fire. no other damage. This fire was on my neighbor land about 150 feet from mine and as I bought a TJ230 last week to harvest my woodlot beleive me I was very nervous before arriving on the scene.We were lucky that there was a little pond about 300 ft from the fire with enough water for our need.Now I can smile again.

Fla._Deadheader

WOW.  That coulda really hurt your economy.   Glad ya got the fire out.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Sawyerfortyish

I bought 40 acres of timber once on state land. Before I started logging it unknown to me the forest fire service decided to do a controlled burn :o >:(. I had already bought and paid for the trees. It's a good thing green oak don't burn. Nothing got hurt.

BW_Williams

Good catch Buck, chimney trees is exactly what we call 'em.  DNR had to go put one out the other day and put one out that had been burning all winter from the Fischer fire, it was big enough they were able to get inside it and stand up.
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

SwampDonkey

I've seen white pine trees fire gutted and still alive years afterward. I've also seen old forest of fire killed white pine stubs and a new spruce-fir forest grown up among it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

I saw a tree get hit by lightening 2 miles across Priest Lake in Northern Idaho. We were on the east shore, it was on the west ridge siloutted bt the sky. The thing instantly turned into a glowing fire ball :o :o WOW really neat to see nature with that much force. We have had several strikes here in our yard. One HUGE bolt killed a 80' Popular right in front of the house, debris everywhere. Bolt entered the ground via the roots and exited via a  3" hole in the ground. You could see the shale bedrock in the hole. Ahhh nature, nothing like a good storm to put man in his place.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OLD_ JD

i,l have a few maple in pine whit scared like that,i'l try to take pic soon of it :)
canadien forest ranger

SwampDonkey

A renewed forest after a wild forest fire in the 1930's. Mount Carleton Provincial Park, NB.

Radar67

Swamp Donkey, your picture reminded me of one I took this year. The location is Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The forest fire occured in 1988.

It's amazing what Mother Nature can do in so few years.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Paschale

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 25, 2005, 12:19:21 PM
I've seen white pine trees fire gutted and still alive years afterward.

There are quite a few examples of those in the Redwood groves out in California.  Pretty amazing what those big trees can withstand and still survive.  8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

I've still gotta get over north to take pictures of the old white pine forest that burned. The stubs are still standing and a new forest has growed up again.  :)

SwampDonkey

The pine in the pictures above went through two fires started by natives.

Ron Scott

17 years after the Yellowstone National Park fires of 1988.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Were you out there this summer Ron? I'm assuming Lodgepole pine in the picture. I may get out this summer on a trip, not sure at this point. We are still in the planning stage. Thanks for the photo. :)

Radar67

Quote from: Ron Scott on December 09, 2005, 07:56:19 PM
17 years after the Yellowstone National Park fires of 1988.

Ron, I noticed in the picture you were there on the 18th of June. How long were you there? I had a brief visit from 27-29 June this year. I saw a lot of the regeneration from the fires and was impressed with what nature can do in such a short time, especially after a fire this massive.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

SwampDonkey

Stew, I'm not totally up on the lodgepole pine silvics, but our jack pine forests regenerate prolifically from fires. In just 10 years it will be so thick you have to literally part the tree stems apart to walk through it. I gotta get a picture of that too.

Radar67

SD, Not until recently have I been so interested in the different types of trees. I have spent many years enjoying the forests as a hunter, outdoorsman, and many military travels. The recent post about Kephart's book basically sumed it up for me, the sameness of the forests. I could distinguish the hardwood and softwood, deciduious and evergreen aspects, but that was about it. Other than knowing the difference on the red and white oak species.

I have been in many of the Southern forests, mainly from Kentucky/North Carolina line and southward. This past summer, I had the opportunity to travel to Yellowstone and the surrounding areas to visit some very different forests. I have also been fortunate enough to spend time in the forests at Gagetown NB, outside of Saint Johns. And I can't forget about my visits to the German Black Forest back in the late eighties.

Hardwood stands have always been my favorite, but I am starting to appreciate the pine stands as of late. It must be the small parcel of pines I purchased a few months back. Some would say that I am getting a late start in "forestry", but I say I'm right on time.  ;D

I have learned alot from many of the members on the forum in such a short period of time, and find myself going out to my place to just walk and look. I'm suprised at how much I was missing before. I'm looking forward to the pictures of the jack pine.

Stew

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Radar67 on December 10, 2005, 11:26:24 AM
I have also been fortunate enough to spend time in the forests at Gagetown NB, outside of Saint Johns.

Saint John, minus the 's' ;D ;) The other is in Newfoundland. ;)

QuoteHardwood stands have always been my favorite

Mine too, and you will appreciate them more when you live abroad from them for a few years. ;D

QuoteI'm looking forward to the pictures of the jack pine.

It's going to be awhile now, since old man winter has settled in and those forest roads over north are not plowed. Well, the roads aren't that bad yet, but if you break down over there, I'de rather it be summer so I can be warm at least. I can't believe it's been almost 8 years since I've been there. ;) :D :D

Ron Scott

I passed through Yellowstone this past summer on June 18th from Gardiner to West Yellowstone on my way to California after visiting with my son in Bozeman, Montana. I've been there about 4 times, but always something more to see depending upon the time that you're there.

I always like to take a look at some of the past fire areas to note their progress in regenerationn and habitat improvement.

~Ron

tmullen

Hey good catch on the lighting fire on your place.

We go to quite a few single tree lighting fires every year here.

If you folks would like, I'll see if the wife can help me and I'll get some of my fire pics posted.

California is a firefighters paradise due to fires floods earthquakes and when all else fails we just get riots!! :D :D
when in doubt
fire out

SwampDonkey

By all means don't hesitate to post your fire fighting pictures tmullen. :)

tmullen

I'll post as soon as I get a chance to sit down with some one who can show me how to get it done ie. the wife :D
when in doubt
fire out

SwampDonkey

Check out, 'Behind the Forum' for help, or the 'Help' button up top. :)

crtreedude

One thing I always try to do when I visit the homeland is hike in a hardwood forest. You can see forever compared to down here. Granted, the trees look like shrubs (ours start at about 100 feet and then keep going to about 200) but they are still impressive.

And, I can see animals, birds, etc. Here, I know there are there - but everything looks so different I can be eye to eye with a boa and not see it.  ( I know, I have been there - Hector pointed it out, does wonders for the ole heart to have a 8 foot boa come into focus just 2 feet from you head.  :o)

Unlike a northern forest, we can have 200 different species or more in a forest. All together we have nearly 2,000 species of trees. I nearly despair of learning enough to matter. Perhaps I will fall into the lazy habit of saying "Spanish Cedar" - that will cover 30 species...  ::)

I love to walk the forest though and see everything.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!