iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

at least I have a sense of humor....

Started by Dan_Shade, June 22, 2005, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I bought a house a few months ago, and decided to have a party to get as many friends of mine together as possible.

so I get to thinking, beer and pork.... kegs are easy to come by, and I've wanted to do an inground barbeque pit for a long time.  so last night, I start to digging.  get down a bit, look around, and notice the grass is green directly in front of me, and about 10-15 feet to the right of me in two parallel lines.  hmmmmmm

so anyways, i just keep on digging, i about finish my hole up, and I find the distribution box!  oh well, guess i'll fill that back in, at least i have a place to put my "dog byproduct" before my party.

plan B is to go rent an auger style post hole digger tomorrow and find a new spot for my hole.  not knowing where stuff is buried is a pain in the donkey.

ugh, i won't even talk about my pool problems, i should just drain it and give it away...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

GareyD

Don't know about where yer at, but around here in the south, ya call the local bank about 2 weeks before ya need it and near about any of the branch's have BIG portable cookers that they will loan to ya fer yer shindig  :) :) :)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Dan_Shade

yeah, i could get one of them, but I want a hole!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

Hmmmmm.....you mentioned a pool? :P  That's a  hole, ain't it?  Just dip the water out and toss Mr. Piggy in.  You might need to get a bit of "filler" material, though. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

GareyD

Quoteugh, i won't even talk about my pool problems, i should just drain it and give it away...

DanG...the way he sez "give it away"...I'm thinkin above ground pool...no hole and if ya cooked a piggy in that plastic liner...it would probly taste a little plasticy...maybe that's how they get the flavor in them McRib samwhiches :D :D :D
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Tom

I was wonderin' how you give away a hole in the ground.  :-\ :P

ScottAR

Above ground pool = portable hole?   ;D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Furby

If ya need help with the pool problems, drop me an IM I may have a few tips for the Uuuuugh!;)

Did you get a survey with the house?
How about checking with the city/town hall for anything they have on file.
Beats finding EVERYTHING the hard way. ;D

Ernie

A hangi; Wow!!!

That is an in ground method of cooking used here in beautiful, clean, green and politically correct New Zealand, the down under branch of the United Nations.  But I'd better not start in on that theme.

Seriously though, food cooked in a traditional Maori hangi is really hard to beat, I'm sure our fellow Kiwis will confirm the fact.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Dan_Shade

the drainfield was not recorded on the plat.  I found it, though.

the pool is above ground.  the guy left me a pain, when I opened it, it was lime green.  I don't think he winterized it, he knew he was moving.

i got the green out, then i couldn't get the cloudiness out.  i put 2 bottles of that blue stuff to clear it up, i can barely see the bottom after that, i dump a bottle of floculant in it, mildly better.  seems when I vacuum, it would blow stuff back out the jet.  i've had the pump running constant for pretty much a month. and the pressure has hardly raised at all on the pump, a full bottle of floculant only raised it 5psi (it's a 13,500 gallon pool)

I think my local pool store is full of morons too.  I asked a month ago if I should change my sand, they said wait.  last night I went and bought new sand, over night pressure went from 15 to 17 psi, so at least I think the new sand is working.  I should have followed my instincts and replaced it a month ago.

Haytrader

On them thar pools......
Sometimes all the maintainin and cleanin causes more work than ya get fun out of em.
My wife gave up on hers.....

:(
Haytrader

Dan_Shade

basically, i'm "maintaining" this one for friends, and nobody's been able to use it yet.

myself, I won't use it much, but if friends come over and all of that stuff, it won't be so bad.  When you have things to do, not much time for getting in a pool...

Jeff

Have you checked your PH ?  If that ain't right you will never get it clear. When the pH is too high, scaling and cloudy water will result.
Don't rely on the pressure guage, they generally are only accurate for one season.  Backwash the filter until you get clean looking water, then after a backwash, check the return pressure into the pool by simply felling the water pressure from the return with your hand, and also do a visual by looking at the water surface. You now have a reference for when the filter is in need of backwash.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

thanks, jeff.

It was 7.2 last time I had the store check it, and my alkalinity was a little high, so they told me to add ph decreaser to get the alkalinity down, which I guess means I need to add PH increaser to get the PH back up.  so I dunno, but my motto is not knowing what i'm doing never stops me...

Jeff

With our pool we have the great advantage of having well water that is the perfect PH for a pool (and Aquariums).  Rarely do we have to mess with PH, unless we get a ton of rain.  The PH is usually off in the spring before we refill because of the oak leaves that invariably get in the pool and dont get out until spring, but topping off with fresh water generally does the trick.

If your PH is off, you can dump in a gallon of clorine, test for it later in the day and it will be gone.  The very few times we have had cloudy water problems were all based on the PH, never on filtration problems. (we change our sand every other year)

Jeff

I have found our pool a pleasure to take care of. I usually do all the vaccuming once the water gets warm. That is my "Pool Time". I wait until the hottest part of the day, and then get in and clean it while I am in the water. I get cooled off and the pool gets clean. This year I also get the advantage of its a real workout for my shoulder.

Furby

In the two pools I handle, I NEVER deal with the PH! But that's not to say that you don't have to.
Mine had a pretty bad liner (heavily stained) when I bought the place so I don't use a winter cover and deal with the mess in the spring.
The DE filters will pull MUCH more "stuff" out of the water. The sand ones work, but after seeing the difference, I don't plan to go back. ;)
A lot of the cloudiness can be caused by dead alge that was killed with the algecide or other chemicals. Sometimes the sand filters just can't pull it all out. The fact that you just put new sand in is good!

One thing I caution.....it is possible to have a layer of sludge/alge on the bottom that will continue to feed the rest of the pool and prolong the coudiness and othe problems.

Also if it looks like you are getting stuff back in the pool when you clean it, make sure that NO air is allowed into the pump!
It's worse with DE filters, but the sand filters will do it as well. The air creates turbulance in the filter and allows "stuff" to wash through.
Usually a small amount of air goes through and is ok, but never let larger amounts or let the pump starve for water.

Jeff is right about checking the return pressure by hand. I also keep mine aimed a bit at the surface and can tell from a distance just how much pressure I have. It also helps break up any filming that could start on the water surface due to oils from your skin and dust in the air.

Jeff, I know it's fun to be in the pool as you clean it, but I bet you would get better results if you stayed out until you were done.
Yes I know that wouldn't be any fun. ::)

Dan_Shade

yeah, i'm learning as I go

I was letting air get into the pump, by being lazy and not turning it off from the vacuum

it's gotten much better.  I can actually see some dirt on the bottom, and it cloud up as I brush it

at least i'm making progress. 

I've heard the DE filters work much better too, but i'm not going to change it while it still works

Jeff

I suppose you have a point about not being in the pool and stirring it up if its really dirty, but we dont usually let ours get that way. The fine particulates dont get a chance to settle in our pool most of the time because of use. I am usually vacuuming up bugs and stuff that falls from the trees. Acutally, the more you use a pool, the better it will get filtered. ALWAYS run the filter when you are swimming.  This is our 11th year with this pool. Same liner knock on wood!

Furby

Yup! Can't agree more!
It's a TON easier when the pool gets used a lot!
I've been trying to con people into coming over, no go. :-\
Mine just doesn't get used enough.
I have one walnut that over hangs and a couple of maples within windfall.
My parents have several huge red oaks and some maples that overhang theirs.
All kinds of stuff fall in daily including squirrels. ::) You need to check their skimmer several times a day or there is trouble.
They have one of those vinyl domes that go over it, but it was getting to be too much trouble to use, so last year was thier first full year with out it and I don't have it on this year.
Because of the shade, thiers stays real cold. Feels GREAT on the hottest days but too cold the rest of the time.
Mine gets full sun 85% of the day. ;D

I belive my parents liner is about 9 years old, still looks good. 8)
Not sure how old mine is, it looks real bad though. :-\
I don't care to replace it and every year say I'm gonna dump the pool but don't. Should just turn it into a fish pond. ;) ;D

Dan,
I take it you have a 24' round pool?
My parents have a super powerful pump, and with a clean filter it operates at 10 PSI, 25 PSI means it's overdue to be cleaned.
If you have a LOT of stuff on the bottom...........
Disconnect the hose that runs from the pump to the filter at the filter.
Setup your vaccum and pump the sludge right out into the yard.
It will take a bit of water, but saves a TON in $$$ for chemical and such. Don't use the vaccum to waste feature on the filter for this.
As I said, it depends on how much stuff you have on the bottom as to wether it's cost effective. ;)

Also a fish net works great for leaf removal. The "pool" nets don't hold up to leaves, I went through atleast one a year until I started useing the fish net. You still need the "pool" net for the smaller stuff.

The newer DE filter are split and are held together by a lock collar you undo by hand. You can then wash out the filter with house water and not waste any treated pool water by backwashing. Not cheap to start with, but a BIG time and effort saver in the long run.

Dan_Shade

I should have done the vacuum to waste thing first, but dummy me didn't know any better

it's actually starting to look pretty good.

Jeff

Its probably from all the fine advice yer gettin. ;) ;)

Dan_Shade

haha, when one doesn't know anything about pools, it can be quite a crash course to learn something!

Furby

Trial and error works fine...........it just takes too DanG long!!!  :D

Dan_Shade

well, things always seem to work out, and my "problems" just build character!

the pool is clear now, it was yesterday, but I went to vaccum, and i guess the fine stuff was blowing back through the filter.  so today, I vacuumed all of it to waste.  99% clean pool, and I can see the bottom.

on to the pit:

worked like a charm, didn't get to do it 100% correct, but I improvised.  got my new hole dug thursday night, started a fire at 10pm and then realized how tired I really was...  so I put some huge chunks of wood on it, waited for it to die down, and went to bed around midnight.  got up at 6, got the fire going again, had to cheat and put the meat in the oven at 7, finally got it on at 10.  took it back out at 6:30, and all the guests were happy!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!