iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First one I've held, I made.

Started by Chris Burchfield, June 21, 2005, 01:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

As I don't have my mill yet, I had to be doing something. Handle 48" Ash from Lowe's. Forged 3/8" X 2 1/2" mild steel to make the 16" hook, also made a 22". Nylon lock nuts. Thanks for Scott Banbury downsizing the file so I could show ya'll.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

isawlogs

Nice one Chris .. did you try it out on a log yet, how long is the handle on that  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jrokusek

Is that a shank from a field cultivator or from a field chisel?  Sure looks like nice whatever it is from!  I built 3 of them so far and they aren't near as nice looking as yours!

Jim

Ernie

Welcome to the forum Chris.  It looks like we have a  true craftsman in our midst.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

mometal77

You can also buy books on different welding projects..  I have pics of a true blacksmith in winthrop wa  talk about bending and reshaping of metal.. Nicely done welcome chris..
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Buzz-sawyer

Finally, Another independant cant hook manufacturer.......(Hi Kevin) ;D ;D

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

mometal77

You guys might like the ideas and pics people have done on this site.. fabrication to blacksmithing..

http://metalwebnews.com/

bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

DanG

Thanks Bob.  I added that to my faves, and will look it over later.  Looks like it will be interesting. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jrokusek

I did that too. 

Chris - ya really have to let these guys know how you built the metal hook part.  This guy has talent!  My parts were all from the scrap pile.  Chris grabbed a hammer and went to the anvil!

Jim

Chris Burchfield

I had two class projects for my advanced welding course I took last year. The first was an 8' X 4' dia. disposed of Diesel tank. I converted this into a small competition grill. 1/2 separated has a 13 square foot grilling area. The other half has a seven shelf rotisseri. Each shelf is 10" X 40" she make 1 revolution every 26 second. I loned her out to Holly Rosery in Memphis for a fund raiser this last week end. They cooked 32 Boston Butts on the rotisseri side and 30 slabs of ribs on the grilling side. The more important project was an atmospheric propane gas forge. It has two burners with 1/4 turn valves. It has one inline 1/4 turn as a safety. She runs off a grill propane bottle with a turkey fryer regulator. I found a really good atmospheric burner design on the internet. Lined the forge with refractory blanket 1" X 2 layers. 4" blow hole for safety, a 4" X 8" flip down door. The other end has ground to shape 3000 deg. F. fire brick. Finished inside provides for an eight inch dia. X 14" length for heating metal. I also cheated a bit using a 25 lb. Little Giant Trip hammer. Finishing of the hooks was done by hand with a 3 lb. hammer. With the exception of the 48" ash handles the rest was junk I had laying around. Thanks for the compliments and for sharing picks of yours. I finished the 22" tonight. Twenty three day till I get the new mill from MW Missouri. Should start tommorrow taking down and limbing 144 Loblolly Pine. Spoke with an Uncle who built and owned two large mills outside of Batton Rouge La.  Asked about keeping bugs out of the wood till I can cut it up. He said 7 to 10 days to cut without doing anything to the logs. If not cut up by 7 to 10 need to keep them wet or treat them with chemicals for the bugs. I'll contact the Agricultural Extension service tommorrow to see what bugs I'm up against here in Memphis. Thanks again guys. Just wanted to share.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

mometal77

No problemo Dan,
There is even a child like excavator with two levers i see in sandboxes at parks.  Looks like something i would like to build the niece.
bon

Haytrader

I wanted a 40' groundload livestock trailer but didn't want to pay the asking price of $23,000

So I am building one.

Haytrader

Roxie

Whoa, Haytrader!   :)  Can you get a couple of better pictures of that thing?  Cowboy Bob will just die!!   :D :D
This just might be what throws him over the edge to actually posting!   8)
Say when

Haytrader

Roxie,

I am actually a little further along than when that pic was taken. But, since I am a poor boy and have no nice shed to build stuff inside, it is now rusty and will have to be sandblasted.
I'll slip out and take a couple new shots since you insisted.
;)
Haytrader

Haytrader

Here ya go Roxie.
You tryin to get Cowboy Bob to start postin, huh?
Haytrader

Roxie

Yep!   :)
This will do it....he's gonna start saying, "ask him this"....."how many head does he haul"....."where did he get the axles"....."what's the weight on that trailer".....and when he does, I'll walk him through signing up his very own membership!   ;D
I remember a while back when I said something that was posted on the forum and he said, "I know."  I said, "How do you know?"  He said, "You have it under your favorites!"   :D
Bugger has been reading along for years!!   :D
It's time to come out of the milkhouse, Cowboy Bob!   8)
Say when

mometal77

Haytrader that is quite an undertaking.  I am guessing it cost half of 23k time and labor and depending on a few other things.
bob

Haytrader

Actually have about 5k in iron (bought it just before it went up), $700 in a pair  of used tandem duals, and my labor.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

I'd say yer doin a fine job.  ;) ;D ;D 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Cowboy Bob

That looks good.  I want to see it when your done.  You should ask Eby trailer for a job.   :)
Creek Dairy Sales~Owner/Operator
Cows or Bulls~You want em, we buy em, I sell em
Quality not Quantity

Daren

Good link Bob, I love wood, but my first love was metal.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

mometal77

Same here daren,  maybe why the ex gf  told me i should just marry the stuff over i spent more time with it.
bob

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Daren

I gave the link a quick look and posted "good link", I went back for 5 minutes and found plans for a small cannon, mini steam engine all kinds of stuff I could have a ball with. Didn't even scratch the surface with blast furnaces and blacksmithing or the jewelry making section. I went to 5 years of trade school for welding and fabrication (and learned more from the old timers than any school can teach, I was a nuclear plant pipewelder in a past life) so the welding part would be the last part I check out, enough other stuff to experiment with. I will give it an upgrade to "Great link".
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

mometal77

Thank You Sponsors!