iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Younger Folks

Started by Bibbyman, July 17, 2002, 06:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I'm getting a whole second chance to live with kids.  This time around two granddaughters. Brooke soon to be five has always chattered like a monkey and we're either beginning to understand her language or she's improving a lot.  

She expresses time in some strange units like,  "Grandpa,  You remember yesterday before tomorrow's, tomorrow, next week when we are going to go to the park?"

Then some things take a bit of interpretation but she's right on...  The other day she came to me with a picture she'd colored..   I asked her what the thing was.  "Yea,  it's one of those spinney balls what has all the places where you are on it."  That's what it was – a globe.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Stephen_Wiley

When my boys were 8 and 4, the elder had a basketball game I needed to take him too.  For something different to do (along the way) was a small airport where parachuting hobbyists practiced.

I asked the boys if they would like to see "Parachutists". Of course they did.  We drove to the perimeter road as the plane took off .  15 impatient minutes later my 4 year old exclaimed: " Dad when are they going to shoot the parrots"  :D :D :D

Today, they are 20 and 16.........big brother still taunts his younger brother by asking him if he wants to go shoot parrots.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Stump Jumper

When stump jumper was a little boy he found a fresh can of black paint on the truck seat and decided to paint his wagon wheels black on his western flyer wagon.  He also thought he would his dad out by filling the gas tank on the lawn mower but he used sand instead of gas.  His parents turned gray real quick.

As for Miziz stump jumper she is innocent.  She only climbed out of her crib at  age 2 and walks across a semi-busy paved road early in the morning and the dog followed me.  Parents only found her because the dog barked when the called for her.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Bibbyman

A guy I worked with had an old Jeep he used to knock around in.  When he went to use it,  it wouldn't run.  Turned out JR. took a garden hose and filled the tank.  He took the tank off and drained it.  Pulled the carburetor and pump and blew out the lines, etc.  Got it all back together and dumped gas back in it from a 5-gallon can.  

After quite a struggle trying to get it to run without success -   Yep,   JR had filled the 5-gallon can with water too.
Sawing since '94

Gus

Well Folks,
This thread is one of the many reasons I love this site. All family people sharing experience both good and bad. But who's to judge what is good or bad anyway. I thought I knew once and the older I get it seems the more obscure the line becomes. I mean the things that happen in our lives. They just happen in a never ending sequence of events.
 I've got 6 young'uns and some of the things that have happened around here are nothing less or more  than normal probably.
I've had to replace windows taken out by sling shots, rifles and rocks only to have supper laid before me on the sidewalk by a 9 yr. old boy that is so proud he could burst.

I've come home and found every tool I have with a point on it driven into the driveway and had the carberator taken off the tractor and scattered all over the yard. Yet again came home and found that this same prankster has changed the belts on his mothers car at the age of 13 and done a fine job of it.

I've driven kids to the emergency room to get them sewed up, braced up and put back together.

I've hauled kids to the state fair with projects that they built and with animals they've nurtured.

I've hauled them to the mortuary and I've delivered them with my own hands in the very room they were concieved.

I've built doll houses and toy trucks out of wood.

I've replaced the points in a tractor 3 times in one summer cause some little imp has been pretending to drive it and left the key on and burned the points for me.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

trey_w

I haff ta tell ya'll, I've really enjoyed this thread.  I think I've told this already on one of the other threads, but that's ok, I want to hear it again.  :D  My wife will be giving birth to a boy in late February ( She says it's mine  :D).  (Don't tell her I said that) It's our first, and I know, I'm starting this a little late in life.  With all the thoughts of "How bad am I going to screw this up?" and "What will he tell his therapist about me later?" It's nice to read about the positives.  ;D
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

Mark M

Yeh - but is she sure it's hers?

Congratulations Trey - those DanG kids are pretty special. We had 4 before we could figure out where they were coming from.

Mark

trey_w

Good Question!!  I keep tellin her she's just getting fat.  I get hit when I say that in public.  :D
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

Bibbyman

We where at the Small Farm Show this morning before it was open to the public and setting with Greg Bear,  and Will Baugh of Wood-Mizer and Tom Stout of Baker.   We'd taken granddaughter Brooke with us and were gotten around to talking about kids.  Mary brought a story up about our youngest son Chris when he was a toddler I don't remember ever hearing.

She said she found him one day with his face all painted up with her eye makeup.  She asked him why he did it and he explained ...

"To keep the rats from bightin' my face."   :o

WHAT??  ???

"Yea,  you know.  They call it mice scare-a." :D
Sawing since '94

oldsaw

My 9 year old is the "book smart, creative type".  You just never quite know what to expect.  When he was in first grade, I took him to see the first Star Wars "prequel".  He had wanted to see it really bad.  I told him it might be scary, but he assured me he was okay with it.

A few months later, he came home from school with his face colored black and red.  It was Halloween and he had decided he was going as Darth Maul instead of whatever else.  Now for you folks who haven't seen the movie, this Maul guy has a red and black face with numerous horns and other things going on with his face.  Turns out he had grabbed the teachers PERMANENT markers and commenced a coloring his face.  It didn't quite turn out as planned...especially with no mirror and very little artistic ability.  He wasn't too keen on the paint thinner I had to use to get it off either.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Gus

DanG, thats a good one Mark. :o
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Bro. Noble

Oldsaw,

When I was a little kid,  we lived at an old abandoned town "Topaz"  which was way out in the country.  All the neighbors were nice and life was very peaceful.  If it weren't for my big sister,  I would say life was perfect.  Because of my sister,  I had to develop the ability of embellishment and fabrication of factual events -------out of self defense. ::)

Well we eventually moved to the metropolis of Springfield that I hated.  The school was really big and I didn't know anyone so as soon as the bus left me off at school I would walk right back home.  They finally got wise to me and I got in trouble.  I had never even heard of movies and right off,  my parents took me to this awful horror show :o  I never was so scared.  I cried and screamed until they finally took me home. :-/   You would have been scared too.  It was about this nice little fellow whose nose kept getting longer everytime he skipped school and told lies >:(.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Oregon_Sawyer

We have four children.  As little kids they were the best looking around. ;D

When my wife was pregnant with our 3rd and 4th children, rude people would come up and ask if we beleived in birth control or did we know how this happened.

I had two answers.  If they were the ones who said you should only replace yourself and I knew they only had 1 child I would tell them I had to make up for them not doing their job.

For the others:  I would tell them with a straight face that my father had told me to find out what you do good and keep at it and that is what I was doing.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Bibbyman

We've been at the Small Farm Show a couple of days hanging out at the Wood-Mizer booth.   Granddaughter Brooke has been with us most of the time.  One afternoon a Wood-Mizer owner came buy to say hello and to visit for a while.  As he talked he was rolling three well-worn marbles in his left hand.  They were right at Brooke's height so she noticed right away.  I could tell she was swelling up to ask something and when she had a chance she asked.  

"Hay Mister,  Why you have them marbles?"  

He said,

"Well,  I'll tell you.  My dad told me that my great granddad came over here on a boat with nothing in his pocket but a small rock.  He carried that rock with him the rest of his life.  Each morning he'd put that rock in his right pocket and when he did a good deed for someone he'd put it in his left pocket.  My dad carried two marbles and always did the same thing.  I carry three marbles.  At the end of the day I check to see if I've moved all three to the left pocket and done my three good deeds.  You can see I'm holding them in my left hand and got them out of my left pocket so I've done mine for today already."
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

At the supper table Mary was telling what Brooke had came out with some time during the day  -  "If the rooster makes too much noise in the morning and you can't sleep,  you just go to town and get some 'chicken tape' and tape it's mouth shut."  

As Mary was telling what Brooke had said,  Brooke was chiming in with her confirmation that that was the way to do it – explaining - "You take his lips like this and then take the tape like this."  

Gabe (Brooke's dad) asked her where she was going to find 'chicken tape'.   "Well,"  Brooke said, "They'se got 'duck tape'". ::)
Sawing since '94

Stump Jumper

I was having a good one on two conversation with my children one evening and my 8 year old daughter said she had dream that her 9 year old brother had a log cabin out in the pines and when he had finished it,  he put a glossy finish on it and it sparkled in the sunshine. He had a dually monster truck and it was red with orange flames and he had a motorcycle, a quad, and a dirt bike.  Her brother tore down his dad's pole barn  :'( and put up a very bigger one.  Dad proceded to tell her that they didn't need to tear down his pole barn but just add on to it. Then she proceded to tell me that 2 pieces of matter could not occupy the same space :-/ :P  I said yeah, but you can add on to the side of it and make it longer and she told me that I couldn't because my junk trucks are on that side of the barn.  :o  I told her that the trucks could go to the junk pretty soon.  All this explaining and I was ready for a nap.
\Then I asked her where she was going to live and she said here at home she wasn't moving out. :o :o  
We will enjoy them while we can. Sounds like my kids are ready to take over at 8 and 9 years old. :'(  Long as they have good ideas for their future.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Bibbyman

Our granddaughters are eating us out of house and home.  Alex,  in the first grade,  is growing like a weed and eats like a field hand.  She can eat easily as much as any two grown ups at the table.  Brooke,  now five,  can pack it away for such skinny little thing.  You really wonder where she puts it all!

A week or so back,  Mary got a deal on a big roast of beef.  She intended to make a large pot of stew but decided to roast it for the "first" meal and then use the rest in a stew or hash.

Well, Alex had eaten two large plates of roast beef, squash, salad, and bread.  But it wasn't five minutes after getting up from the supper table she was begging Mary for something else to eat.  Mary tried to distract her for at least a while but it was a struggle.

This only emboldened Brooke to beg for food too.  Brooke was putting on her best begging face and made the claim. "But my tongue is starving off!"

A couple of evenings later Alex was making a run down the hall to the laundry room.  She's the one that's a little afraid of the dark and a lot of other things.  Well,  we don't know what happened but she came back in a fright. "There is something in the laundry room!  The light just came on and then went off again! All by itself!"   :o

We didn't have a clue as to what happened but Brooke did.  Her elbow tucked to her side and palm up,  she offered the following explanation:  "Well,   the light jus' had an infection in it."

Last weekend two brothers that farm full time where over making arrangements with Mary to saw out their next barn. (They put up about one new barn every year and do repairs to the old barns on their farms.)

Brooke was explaining to them that.. "Did you know that cows have these things on their head called thorns and they use them to stick you?"  

That was good info for the two young farmers as they probably have a couple hundred head of cattle.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Mary and Brooke had to go to town one day last week.  She told Brooke to go change her cloths.   She came back wearing a pajama top – one she was fond of because it had some cartoon character on it.  Mary explained that it was a pajama top and she had to go back and put on a regular shirt.  But Brooke still insisted it wasn't.  

Mary had to ask her why she didn't think it was a pajama top... Brooke's reply,  "Well,  I wore this shirt before and it didn't make me go to sleep." :D
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

The days are getting a little longer and the snow and ice is turning the ground to mud.  I've had time to get a walk in before dark the last couple of evenings.

I'd much rather go alone as that's one reason I like to take walks on the farm but I've been taking Alex or Brooke along with me.  There's no peace and quiet but it breaks up the girls – giving Mary time with one and me with the other.  That's a good thing. ;)

Last evening was Brooke's turn.  We walked down the hill to the east and up the other side into the woods.  We were following the old log road north on the "hog back" ridge.  

We'd just past out of the patch of red cedar into the woods when Brooke took note of a nice young white oak standing straight and tall.  She says. "Wow!  Look at the tree God made! It sure is a nice one."  She went up to it and petted it.  I said it sure was.  Grandma would have trouble getting a long log like that on the mill.  We agreed we'd have to cut it into shorter logs.  "We'll have to come back and get that tree." Brooke said.

A couple hundred yards up the ridge we came to an open spot where the trails forked.  Our dowg, Puddin',  had been enjoying the walk also,  running here and there.  I was watching her watching something when Brooke said. "Look Grandpa! Dogs!"  They weren't dogs but deer.  Five of them crossed over the trail just ahead of us.  Puddin' didn't even offer to chase them – even after we cut their trail.

Another hundred yards and we broke into the pasture behind my folk's house.  Brooke was totally confused as to why there would be a house hidden in the woods.  I asked her if she thought it looked like Granny's house.  She knew it didn't because Granny's car wasn't there. (She was looking for the carport on the wrong side) We got into the yard and she noted the old corn crib. "Look,  there is a thing just like at Granny's."  She said with wide eyes.   :o

When we came around into the front yard and she noted every concrete yard ornament was just the same as Granny's.  Even the tacky wood butterflies on the wall were the same.

We made it to the kitchen door and she pushed her way in to see who was in this house just like Granny's.   Sure enough,  there was Granny working in the kitchen.  Brooke marched right up to Granny and quizzed her on how come she had a house in the woods just like the house like she had on the road.  It wasn't sinking in that it was the same house.  She took her case to Grandpa George (my dad – the girls call him "Granny's Grandpa").  He got a kick out of her confusion.

After our visit with my folks,  we left by the road.  We turned to look back at Granny's house from the front.  We talked about Granny's house in the woods verses Granny's house on the road and I think she was still confused. ???

We got home and Mary and Alex had made biscuits for supper and had a pineapple upside down cake ready to go into the oven.  

Brooke was full of stories – including finding Granny's house in the woods.  Seeing the deer was about fifth on her list.

When she got to the story about the tree God made,  Mary asked her if she know what kind it was.  "It was gray."  She said.

I would have enjoyed taking the walk alone but I'd miss seeing it through the eyes of a child.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Well, Bibbster, there ain't no doubt you got a knack for tellin' a story. But you're giving us more than that in this thread. You seem able to see, and enable us to see, through the eyes of that precious youngster. I read these things, and usually don't say anything about it, but I appreciate and enjoy every one of them. Keep'em coming. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

Bibbyman, I appreciate your story.  Somedays, today is one a story like that helps lighten my day and make me feel better.  Right now I'm wishing I were younger.  But, if that were so I wouldn't have my own kids and grandson.  I should be feeling good, RYAN, my new grandson got to come home today.  My problem, I didn't get to see him today.  I won't make that mistake tomorrow!   My enitire day today was spent running estimates, doing some light repair work here there and yonder, collecting money, and then when I called Jamie he said him and his wife were really tired and would I mind waiting until tomorrow to come over.  I respected his wishes cheerfully, even though I REALLY wanted to go over.  So when I finally got in I went out and worked on the DanG house a whiles.  Just wanted to let you know, your story made a real impact, and brought a smile to my face.   THANKS.!!!!!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

LSUNo1

Ditto what they said Bibby.  :)

Swede

I was 3-4 years old and we lived way out  the country side. One morning my parents found a hen on a field. DEAD! Their assumption  was that a hawk had dropped it there. All small boys at a farm needs anything to hang their hands on so I took as my task that day to watch over the other hens and armed me self with an eight foot lath.
I didn´t have to wait very long before the cock covered a hen. As a flashlight through my head I had the whole happening clear. Pulled the lath through the net and punched the cock on his head so he turned around. The way he looked at me when he get the feets under him and had shaken his head clear told me that he´ll never do that again :D (But who knows?)

I ran to my parents working at the yard: It was the cock! It was the cock!! They looked at me very unsympathetic  ??? ??? It was the cock!!! When i told them what happend around the corner they LAUGHED at me!
It maked me embarassed, I could not understand why. :-[ They didn´t explane the mysteries of life. Just laughed at me when I had solved that big broblem fore them. :(

I growed up that way, learning all about what a young boy don´t need. But that can also be a way to learn how to be a decent parent.   I just did everything the other way. :)

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Swede

cktate

Don´t You belive that we can see Your smile this days? With or without our storys  :) :) :)

Go to bed early to night and go for lookig the baby early to morrow! 05:20 or so...... :D   As just become parents they for shure are sitting in the kitchen and boring at that time. ;D ;D ;D
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Bibbyman

Brooke's contribution this week to new terms.

Shootie Boots  

As in...  "Them look like shootie boots to me."  

Translation..  Cowboy boots.

Rubber foot

As in...  "I'm going to be a rubber foot when I grow up."

Translation...  She wants to massage people's feet when she grows up.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!