iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Younger Folks

Started by Bibbyman, July 17, 2002, 06:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Our just turned five-year-old granddaughter Alex is going to be the smart one of the litter.  No sooner than she could talk she could say her ABCs.  Better than a year ago she could write them both in caps and cursive.  Then she learned to spell her name and those of her sisters and other important words like MOM, DAD, DOG, etc.  Anytime she's not directly involved in being a typical five-year-old, she she is setting with a pencil and a notebook and is "practicing" her ABCs.  :P

The last few months she's really ramped up the number of words she can spell to somewhere up to 100 I'd say.  She was "practicing" the other morning and asking me new words to spell when she asked "How do you spell Disney DOT com?".  :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Haytrader

Cute girl Bibby....and so is your granddaughter.... :D

The one has a resemblance to Pro Sawyer Mary... :)
Haytrader

Jeff

In 1984 I was working on restoring a Corvair. My buddy sonny and I had painted it on a Friday evening. A maroon Metal flake. Really came out good. To celebrate we decided to go fishing on Saturday, actually back in those days Sonny and I went fishing most every Saturday ;D, while Sonny's wife Linda and Tammy went off and did their thing. That Day they decided to just stick around our house.  

When we returned that evening Tammy met me at the front door. Her first words were "Promise me you won't kill him"   I said Huh??  

My Son Jeremy at the time was only 3 years old. He had asked his mom if he could go out in the garage where our dog was for a little bit. She said O.K.  I had a work bench with shelves above it. when Tammy wanted something off these shelves she would come get me. Well, somehow, this three year old piled stuff in front of the bench, clumbed up there, where he had already piled some old books and a wood box. Clumbed on up on the pile and was able to reach the new can of black spray enamel paint. He then was able to pry off the top with a screw driver from the bench (You all know how hard them dang tops come off.)

Well, the next part is Art History. He proceeded to paint everything in the garage. mower, my  waders, the dog, bikes, the fridge, my tools, and the corvair. All of this in about 10 minutes. When he came back in the house he gave no indication of what he had done for about an hour when his ma went to wash him up for dinner and saw he had black paint on his hands.  He said he had "helped Daddy paint again"

Tammy goes out to the garage to see what he had got into. To try to make it look not so bad, she got out the thinner and tried to wipe of the black paint off the new paint. Not good.

I never did kill him. I was to impressed with his accomplishments. ;D

As a post script, our garage was broken into later that year and several things taken. We were able to I.D. and recover my waders at the sherriffs department because one foot was glossy black.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Hee Hee! I can just see you now, when you got home, Jeff. You just laughed and said, "Aww, isn't that cute?"  Right?

RIGHT!    :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

J Beyer

Bibby,

Watch this kid, for she may turn into something great :) :)

Kids like this seem rare, so encourage the developement of her writing skills.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

woodman

Bib did know how to spell Dizanee     :) :)
Jim Cripanuk

Tom

This young'un was the pride of my life.  My first child and he was a boy to boot.  I couldn't have been any happier.  He loved wheels and tires, spending hours sitting and turning one on its axle.

Then he turned into this monster diesel mechanic that could pick logs up and put them on the mill and rebuild a auto engine or bulldozer in a flash. He's still my pride but he sure is an armful to hug. :D

Corley5

Like father like son ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paul_H

Pretty cool, Tom,Bib.
Kids can have a softening effect on the heart.(sometimes, can cause heartburn) :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bibbyman

My now 52-year-old body won't let me have a good night's sleep for some roving ache or pain someplace.  I wake up in the night and then can't go back to sleep and lie there thinking about things.

Back half my life ago I couldn't sleep either.  But it wasn't my body's fault.  We had two small boys that shared the bedroom just across the landing of the stairs in our small house.  We kept the light in the stair well on and their door open for night light.  Our door would normally be cracked open so we could monitor the goings on next door.

Every stinking night was a fight to get two boys to go to bed and get to sleep.  Even if you could get one, the other one would be a pain.  Sure there was the nightly ritual of "Get a drink,  go to the bathroom before you go to bed."  Every night after a struggle there had to be another round of "I'm thirsty.",  then " I've got to go pee."  Followed by the other having to do the same thing.  Plus another hundred ways to prolong the process.

It was near midnight one night and the fight was still going on.  Gabe had went to sleep but by that time Chris the younger had awoken and started his shift.  Threats from our bedroom were not doing any good so I got up and went in to place him back into bed.  I had tucked him in and was using my sternest voice to threaten him while pinning his arms under the covers.  All the while I was doing my Marine Corps Drill Sargent routine,  he was snickering.  I finally demanded "WHAT'S SO FUNNY?"  His little three-year-old voice came back "I's jus thinkin about why alligators don't have ears."  It took me by such surprise I had to break out laughing.  He laughed too and I just went back to bed.

Gabe (oldest), Snoots the dowg, and Chirs.
Sawing since '94

Norm

This thread got me to thinking about when my sons were little and how things we took for granted were not so for them.

When my oldest son was about 3 years old I took him squirrel hunting with me. We had a nice walk in the woods and even got a couple of squirrels which was amazing since he did'nt stop talking the whole time. When we got home I went in the garage and rounded up some old newspapers to butcher the squirrels on. He asked what I was going to do and I told him I was going to clean the squirrels I had shot. He didn't say a word and left to go inside. A couple of minutes later he showed back up in the garage with a scrub brush and washcloth. When my wife asked him he was doing me explained to her that he was going to help dad clean the squirrels we had shot.

My wife and I still laugh about it.

Bibbyman

Until I was old enough to drive and pay for my own,  my haircuts were administered by Mom out in the front lawn when weather permitted or in the kitchen when it was too cold.  The instrument of torture was something right out of Inquisition era.  She use a pair of hand powered clippers that ripped and tore at the victim's hair until it had that "hand hewn" look.  After the Age of Enlightenment,  she used a pair of electric clippers.  These were faster but just as destructive.  And half way though the process they became hot enough to cause blisters.  In both cases, the style was the same - high white walls over the ears and around the back of the neck.

Fortunately,  we didn't get haircuts on a regular basis.  Before school started in the fall,  before the Christmas pageant,  Easter and start of summer for sure.  Then throw in a wedding or funeral that didn't fall shortly after one of the above events and that was about it.

But I'm not sure if I remember my first haircut or if I've recreated it in my mind from being told about it so many times.  It plays in black and white in my memory like a Little Rascal's episode.

I guess I was a little older than 2,  for sure I could talk,  Dad took me to the barbershop to get my first haircut.  They say my blond baby curls reached my shoulders. I watched with fear as others got their hair cut then Dad.  Came my turn the barber put me in his chair.  It was then I folded my arms over my head and pulled my neck in.  I told the barber - "You don't want to cut my hair."  He asked why.  I said, "Cause I got ROWSES!"  

Dad was so embarrassed!   I did get my hair cut but that was the last time Dad took me to the barbershop.

Sawing since '94

Eggsander

The squirrel cleanin' story reminds me of Christmas a few years back.
The boy was four I think. He had gone with to my brother's inlaws and had helped herd the geese into a corner so we could select and grab one to take home. Now I should say here that I usually didn't clean any game at the house back then. So since we kept this goose in the garage during the week before Christmas, we weren't sure if the boy would get attached to it. The wife had already warned me that I was to find something for him to do so he wasn't around come butchering time.
All fears were relieved the night that he came into the kitchen through the door to the garage and loudly announced... Dad, that meat's hissin' at me again!.  :D :DChristmas eve morning he helped scald & pluck, watched me clean it, and that night enjoyed a fine Christmas goose.  ;D
Steve

CHARLIE

It was the summer of 1973 and Donna came into the house and asked where the camera was because our son, Charles jr, was doing something real cute. I gave her our only camera, a Kodak Instamatic with the flash cubes. Out of curiousity I went outside to see what was so cute. There was Donna snapping a picture of our son with the garden hose jammed up the exhaust pipe of our 1969 Fury III.  Donna thought it was cute, son was having a grand time putting water into the exhaust, but I thought...."Oh DanG!!!".  I ran out there and shut off the water. Asked my son to pull the garden hose out and started up the engine to blow the water out. We then went for a long drive to dry the system out. I don't know how long my muffler and pipes lasted but I'm sure not as long as they should have. But...somewhere...we have a picture of a happy little 4 year old holding a hose stuck up the exhaust pipe...... ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

The stories I could tell on this thread. Kids at times can get you steamed in one second and busting a gut the next second. Each child is so different in their actions but they all have one thing in common, they love to explore the unknown and also have marking, painting, drawing in their blood. Guess the good thing is they really don't care at that young age what they are drawing on, paper the wall, a car, the house siding and the list goes on.

Another thing that all little ones have in common is the invisible monsters under the bed. Some alot worse than others.

Gordon

CHARLIE

Yep Gordon, I remember when I was a young'un in Florida trying to go to sleep in the summer and the windows were open....and....the wind was making the bushes scratch the screen....and I'd swear someone was standing at the window. The street light glowing behind the bushes looked just like a boogy man standing at the window scratching on the screen. Many a night I'd put on my catcher's mask and lay in bed with my baseball bat. Went to sleep like that too.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Afriend of mine who also milks was telling about his little one learning to make animal noises.

He was learning to go like a kitten, a dog, a cow,and a horse.

one particular night he was being very unco-operative.  When asked how does a dog go he said MOO.  When asked how a kitten goes he said MOO.  Same thing with horse.  Correcting and repeating didn't help.  

My friend became frustrated and left to do something more productive when he glanced out the window.

There were about 75 Holstines in the backyard!

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Gordon

One thing that I have learned as a parent when to worry and when not to worry. Well sometimes I get it right anyway.

Kids making a bunch of noise--no worry. Kids are all of the sudden very quiet--WORRY.

Kid falls first thing he or she does is look to see if you saw the fall. Ok after the fall--no worry. Can't turn your head fast enough after the fall--WORRY, cus the waterwerks are coming.

Kid needs glasses--No worry. Dog eats new glasses--WORRY

Kid finds snake and brings it in to show mom--no worry. Kid states I just sat it on the couch for a minute to go to the bathroom--WORRY.

Kid falls out of tree no worrry. Kid has bone protruding -- leg and or arm crooked in a very unusal position--WORRY

Kid thinks that all toys come from older brothers and sisters--no worry. Kid figures out that you can actually buy toys at a store--WORRY.

Kid wants to watch scary movie--no worry. Kid scares him/her self so bad that they can't get to sleep--WORRY, cuz your not going to get any sleep either.

Kid in shop or garage---ALWAYS WORRY

Bring all the kids out to dinner--no worry. One gets misplaced for a few minutes looking at the fountian in the foyer--WORRY.

Kid knocking on the door to come out of the womb--no worry. Kid forgets to knock and comes out on the way to the hospital--WORRY. The Mrs just informed me the second is no worry either, cuz I had training, don't believe her still WORRY

Aint kids great
Gordon

Bibbyman

One of the guys I worked with had an old Jeep CJ he ran on the back road and for fishin' and huntin' and such.  

One evening he fired it up and it ran a little while and then died.  Come to find out,  his kid had used a garden hose to top off Dad's tank for him.  ;D

He took the tank off and drained it and blew out the gas line,  put on a new filter and such.  He picked up a five-gallon can of gas and dumped it in the tank.  After several hours of trying to get it to run,  he come to the realization that the little bugger had also topped off the five gallon can! :o
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Last Tuesday was bitter cold.  I thought I'd just treat myself to a needed store-bought haircut.  I stepped into the barbershop to find both barbers setting in their chairs reading newspapers.  I didn't have to break stride to my way to a chair.  No one else came in while I was there.  The barber must have given me three haircuts and two beard trims while I was there.  He snip-sniped here and snip-snipped there for 45 minutes.  When he was done,  I was a changed man.

Got home and littlest granddaughter Brook noted my haircut.  I asked her how she liked it.  She bent my head down and rubbed it pretty much all over – give it a good look.  Fingering my receding hairline running well up my part line and on the other side. "But Gampa!  They left holes in your head!"   :D

Sawing since '94

beenthere

I often wonder how a barber (let alone two) can make any money cutting hair. Even if he gets $12 a head, and can cut 3 an hour, seems the pay is marginal when figuring in overhead, taxes, benefits, etc. But they keep enough of them around, so it must be exciting and profitable for them. Now add an empty chair and one head in 45 minutes, seems to cut into any profits pretty quick. Hmmm?
Cute kid sleeping under that hard-hat. Glad I had mine on in the woods couple days ago when a good sized limb fell and crunched it down on my head. Saw a few stars but no wounds to heal.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Mary and I were at the fair yesterday evening.  We were at kind of a pause in the action, deciding what to do next and just watching the people walk by.   A young mother with a swarm of kids strolled past.  One little toddler – maybe 3 years old -  was lagging behind a few steps.  Came to a puddle about 3' in diameter.  I knew what was going to happen but couldn't get my camera out of my bib pocket fast enough.  He squatted down at the edge of the puddle and gazed into it.  Then with a mighty leap,  he tried to jump it – getting only half way of course.  He was so happy with the results.  

Kids are just like that.
Sawing since '94

dail_h

Hey Bib,
    W hen jennie (now 15) was just toddlinc,my oldest brother and mom cane to visit. He and I were outside cooking,and watching Jennie.It had just come one of our famous summer thunde squals,and the sun had come back out,but there wer puddles everywhere.Jennie was playing in the driveway,and jabbering away in baby talk,and dad wasn't paying too close attention,when Chip,my olde brother busts out laughing.He's fit ta die ,I say what so funny ,he can't talk,only piont. Jennie in perfect nazi goosestep fashoin is happily going back and forth through a puddle,with mud and water fling,singing walkie walkie.I doubled up too,wife comes to back door to see what is all about,not happy.Diaper weighted more than the kid. I just let jher go till time to go in yanked diaper,hosed kid ,everybody happy except mom.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bibbyman

For the past couple of weeks a neighbor that runs his own escavating business has been hauling gravel out of the creek on our farm.  The road comes up the hill and makes a couple of easy bends and is not too bad until right at the top where it bends and has a short steep part.  

Well, today the gravel hauler had to take his backhoe to the job site and work some of the gravel around.  He had the backhoe on a lowboy trailer hooked behind his dump truck.  He made it to the steepest part and then ran out of power or more likely traction.  

After a couple of failed attempts to mount the hill,  observant four year old Brooke told Grandma Mary,  "He'll have to unload the backhoe and drive it up and then drive his truck up or back all the way back down the hill and go real fast.".  

He chose the back down the hill and "go really fast" option.  :D 
Sawing since '94

Tom

Does Mo. have an Engineering school?  Sounds like you might need one shortly. :D

Thank You Sponsors!