iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Idea's

Started by D._Frederick, June 18, 2005, 10:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I left the Vanguard engine on my pressure washer filled with gasoline and did not use it for a year. The inside of the tank is now covered with gunk from the gas going bad. I have tried mixing injector cleaner with the gas, but it did not help to dissolve the gunk. The tank has a plactic level gage in it, I don't want to use any thing that will dissolve it.

Any ideas on how to clean this tank up?

CHARLIE

I reckon I'd pull the tank off of the unit and try some mineral spirits to slosh around in the tank. It's possible you might find a real heavy duty detergent that  might remove the sludge too. You are going to have to clean the carb too.  I'd remove the float bowl and take the float and needle out. Then spray the float bowl and up into the jet with some carb cleaner.

A good preventive is to either drain the gas tank or put some Stabil into the gas.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

UNCLEBUCK

Hi D. , well I guess if the tank is removable I would take it off and dump the old and put a few inches of new gas in and shake it hard and dump it and then the air hose . I suppose the line should be blown out too from the carb backwards. Dont know of any chemical to remove the scum layer ya got . I leave machines sittin for a year at a time like harvesting equipment and half empty tanks of gas and never have had a problem . I cant quite figure out why your tank built up such a layer especially being plastic . Hope ya get it cleaned out .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

D._Frederick

Luckly I had the gas shut-off valve closed and the gas drained out of the carburator, so the engine runs. What I am afraid of is that this "gunk" will work its way into the carburator and cause problems.

Was hoping that someone knew what kind of solvent would dissolve this "gunK".  The Vanguard tank is made of metal, but it has a snap in place plastic fuel level gauge. 

I had another engine with the same gas in it that did not form this "gunk", it must be the metal in the tank caused this reaction.

Thanks for the replys, will get some detergent from the dairy next to me and give it a try.

J_T

Know some that have used muric acid .It was a lawn mower shop wouldn't use it stright myself . Have used deturgent from nursing home works good and even cleaned out an oil bath breather with it , good luck ???
Jim Holloway

Corley5

Carb cleaner or ether
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gilman

I think laquer thinner will desolve it.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

jerry-m

Might try Acetone,  It will disolve about anything...

I have used a product from a motorcycle shop to clean gunked up and even rusty metal motorcycle tanks...

A bit pricey but it will clean the tank and the kit contains a chemical compound that will line and seal any pin holes caused by rust... works very good... I did two tanks with one kit, about $30 last I bought..

The gunk removing chemical is diluted muratic acid... So if you dont have any pin hole in the tank I think you could get by with just the muratic acid... You will have to nuturalize  the acid after cleaning... Maybe use a baking soda solution rinse...
Jerry

twoodward15

I remove the tanks and pressure wash them with water.  Then use your air compressorto dry it out or a rag and screw driver to dry it and reassemble.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!