iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder

Started by thedeeredude, June 18, 2005, 05:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Machinary Trader Link

Is a machine like this any good for a skidder?

Steve

I'll be curious to see what the real skidder operators have to say about this machine.
Since I'm so eager to give my take on it:

It looks like a "get stuck" to me. Way heavy on the back and no cleats on the tracks.
But I am certainly not the last word on something like this. Does matter on what kind of ground you will be working as well.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

timberjack240

i run a skidder and i think i agree with steve it would [robably be a little heavy in thee back and the tracks look a little ruff to id imagine it would spin a little

Sawyerfortyish

How much skiddin you planning on doing? The tracks are worn smooth. In mud your done in snow it's no go at all and if you have rocks or ledge like I do you won't be able to sit on the seat much less move. Now if you can buy it cheap and you only want to pull a few feet it might do. But Allis machinery that old is getting hard to find parts for. My advise is to look for an old timberjack or treefarmer or even a john deere skidder. Sometimes I see them pretty cheap for sale

Hoop

That skidder would dam near get stuck on wet pavement!  The tracks are whats known as "street pads".   Completely useless in all conditions but dry flat ground.

1967?   Methinks this thing is more like a 1937.

thedeeredude

I wasn't looking to buy nuthin, just curious becuz I saw it surfin the net last night.  Thanks

OLD_ JD

rolfff....i hope no one will try to use that "thing" ::) in the wood ;D
canadien forest ranger

Frickman

Looks like someone added winches and a canopy to an old Allis crawler. You'd be lucky if you only got stuck. It looks like a good way to get killed to me.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

timberjack240

to all the john deer ppl id rather run that than be seen a a john deere skidder  ;D ................. well it would be a hard choice  ::)

tiny3

to all the timbercrap ppl,id rather stay in bed all day than be seen near a older timberjack,but the new ones are good being a john deere  ;)
artest formely known as tiny

timberjack240

timbercrap  :o is that what you said  :o its ok if you cant handle runnin quality  ;D  8) just kiddin  ;D
timberjack 240

Sawyerfortyish

That was a sad day when deere took over timberjack :'( :'( :'( >:(

OLD_ JD

Tj or Deere they are some good and bad in any kind of machine ::)
canadien forest ranger

Brian_Rhoad

No more Timberjack skidders, only Deere. And they are painted JD green!

mometal77

Unless you welded heavy 3/8s angle to the tracks i agree with steve way too heavy in the rear.   Must be for flat farm land.  Good lawn item.  Try richie bros site if you want to look for equipment and pics.  I think i found a good pic underwater bull dozer.. I think it would serve the same purpose..  :o
http://www.album-mmt.it/details.php?image_id=10581
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Frank_Pender

What I think we really have here is a double drum yarder.  You would tie the front end down to a large tree or stump and yard the logs. ;D
Frank Pender

tiny3

yes i said timbercrap :) :)
artest formely known as tiny

theonlybull

looks to me,  that it was orginally a side crane, type of machine.  there's some expanded metal in the canopy, that would let you see the top of the boom,  and tracks like that, are normally only built for cranes,  not crawlers.  they aren't worn down, they are built like that.....    although, i've never seen one with dual winches on the rear that way  :-\
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

tnlogger

i'm with frank on this one i think it was made to yard with  ;D
gene

Thank You Sponsors!