iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

multiple species log tally sheet? Short notice, Help!

Started by Chris Burchfield, June 18, 2005, 10:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

I haven't even picked up my mill yet. I have to go out this afternoon and mark timber and provide the owner with a tally. He has multiple species"loblolly, hickory, oak, cypress. TYIA. Memphis TN.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Ron Wenrich

I'm not sure what you"Re asking.  Tallying by species only requires that you use a seperate sheet for each species.  Its done all the time by seperating into columns.  You can seperate by grade, length, etc.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chris Burchfield

Sorry & thanks.  All I was finding was for sawn lumber on the websites. Just numbered 6 - 20 and created a tally mark for each 16' log, had alot less than 20 but 5 - 20's, 1 - 24". 12,115 board feet using the WM International  1/4" log rule.

Ron Wenrich

Did you ever try our whack-of-logs calculator?  Go up to your left corner and find the "Forum Extras" and press it.  You'll come up with a menu with a toolbox on it.  You can scale a whole load of logs.  It also prints it out.

The only drawback is that the species list is limited.  If there is a need to change the list, we can do that on short order.  We didn't anticipate those southern species when we wrote it.   :D  Any of our calculators can be downloaded to your computer and used at your convenience. 

If need be, you could always substitute specie names.  Call cypress basswood if you wanted.  It won't make any difference in the tally.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chris Burchfield

Really thanks again Ron. I'd only come up with two forum post that had "log tally" in them and they were within the structure of conversation. I found the WM sheets which did not seem anything like what I'd used several years ago with an Uncle. I helped him shoot over 300,000 bd. ft. for select cut to improve the stand on 135 acres. I wound up using a small spiral memo pad with hash marks as a 16' log to the diam. Stanley had a diam. tape at Lowe's, a 10'. I came back and started laying out a spread sheet in Excell, noticed a "softwood worksheet " come up from the file. It was for sawn material. I am so "green" at this, no pun intended. I've waited 18 years to make sawdust with a Woodmizer that I own. I've watched their development and improvements for this long. I knew know what I plan to do retiring in three years from the curretn job. I have Scott Banbury here in Memphis who I've met and Archy (I've eamiled) one of which directed me to the Forestry Forum. I'm so thankful to have found. There's a lot of WM folks here which is a major plus for me. I've just been reading and reading and reading. Haven't paid as much attention to the website or features like you identified as much as the sawing and logging forum areas. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. :P

maple flats

Just give it time and you will discover all the FF has to offer and ask all of the questions, you will get answers to all of them and in most cases several varying opinions, but then that is what makes this place so great You can't help but learn a lot after you are here a while, especially after you start doing the work. It stands out that much better when you learn something that directly relates to what you are currently working on at the time. I have learned a tremendous amount and I have still gotten only a small fraction of what can be learned from these guys.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!