iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting lazy

Started by Ernie, June 17, 2005, 06:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

I'm getting too old for rolling logs over the tracks of the mill.

We just shove them into place with the tractor and set up around them.

That's Alf with the gas can and our saw dog
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Timo

what are you using to keep the logs in place? It looks like they are two low to get all the wood cut, are you lifting them up after cutting half way through? ???
Peterson WPF27 with bipedal, dual grapple, 5'6" loader/ offloader

pappy

Ernie,
Ya ain't getting older, er, I mean lazy ya's just getting smarter  ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Ernie

Timo

By the time I've pushed them into place, the logs sit in a nice groove in the ground, that's all they need to sit well.  We have tons of these pines and I don't mind leaving a bit for next year's firewood.  The slabs that were left were only about 4" thick on the butt logs and down to the bark on the top ones.  The tops were sitting on a hump :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

From the quick look I had at the show the other day, the Rimu mill's blades can drop down further than the Peterson / Lucas units. I guess this is an advantage of not needing clearance to swivel the blade. If I saw big logs on the ground I'm left with at least 4" of bottom slab. If it's got good boards in it I'll roll it aside and resaw it later on top of the next slab. If it's a rough face of the log, it's firewood.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!