iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Side boards for dump truck ??

Started by twostroke_blood, June 17, 2005, 04:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twostroke_blood

I just got an order for side boards for a dump truck. The body of the truck is 20' long, and the customer says he cant find anything that length at the local mills. My question is, what would be the best kind of wood for the dump truck side boards? He want 3"x14x20'

Gilman

Sequoia, you'll get to replace them every two weeks  :)
I'd think white oak would be ideal.  Most of the trucks in the NW use fir though.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

ARKANSAWYER

I make them out of the middle of sickymore trees and my sales have gone way down.   It does not split and holds up well to being bumped and the cost is less then oak so everyone likes them.   White oak, locust, heart pine and elm work as well.   Just do not use hickory.  Did once for a guy who thought it would be tough but it rotted out in just a month or so.  Course them 3x14x20's may limit the type of trees you can get them from.
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

I'd second that vote for sycamore.  I've not had anyone ask for sycamore sideboards - most ask for oak and that's what we supply.

Sycamore would be half the cost and 2/3 the weight and just as tough if not tougher than oak.  Make sure they're sawn out of as straigt log else they may warp and turn the truck over!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

I was going to say Elm so since Arky mentioned it I guess Ize learnin  ;D

twostroke_blood

How about ash? Would ash rot out too? Maybe red oak?  :-\

tdelorme

I replaced my side boards awhile back with some real fancy treated pine from the local Home Depot.  Looked so purty and I was sure proud of um, I started thinking I was some kind of real professional for thinking about such a thing.  The very first time I bumped the bucket against my new fancy side boards they just splintered all to heck.  I just sat there on the tractor laughing at myself and feeling stupid and thinking that after all the years I have lived in the country I still have a whole lot of learning yet to go.  Got Chuck Phillips to cut me some oak sideboards that are holding up just fine.

Ironwood

That is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. You may want to suggest an intermiediate support that goes into a pocket to keep them from moving or breaking. Additionally, I tried to make 12' steel sides for my bed and were too heavy, I would say make two tens and save his back. Unless he'll never remove them then use the iron type tree and weld them in place! Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodmills1

I sell trucks sides and trailer decking out of both red oak and hemlock.  Hemlock is tough and lighter, at least when dry, but most guys want oak.  Try to get him to use the center pocket mentioned above as you will need some serious trees to make 20 foot three by 14 plus they will weigh around 300 pounds dry and twice as much wet.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mike_van

My cousin runs 2 triaxles every day, he uses Hemlock, says it lasts longer. When the loader bangs it, it flexes, the Oaks will break.  3" are huge though,  the center brace or pocket sounds like a good idea. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

red

we usually sell oak side boards

but of course we have had some crazy requests

one mason  like pine because they are light and he removes them a lot

cut what you have most any hard wood should be ok

thats my rookie  2 cents worth    :D
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

beenthere

Seems like a wood that doesn't split easily and has the size would work. Red oak wouldn't come to mind as it splits easily. An elm, or similar wood, would be better.
But, the reason the wood is used seems to be that it is in a sacrificial place, where the loader operators can get a shot at it (brings to mind, why not modify the parts on band mills, that keep getting knicked, out of wood?).
Those who split firewood by hand will know the right wood.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

twostroke_blood

Hemlock would be my first choice, however, I dont have any hemlock on my land. I've got plenty of sycamore on my land in Kentucky, but im in vermont :D. Ive got plenty of ash out back, some maple,and red oak. I hate to waste the red oak on side boards. Maybe cotton wood, that stuff is tuff as nails. The problem with cottonwood is, I'm told it doesnt like moisture. Im wondering if ash can stand the weather?

jimbo

i run white oak on mine and have for about 5 years now and thay worp some but still in good shape  id use them againg if i had to replace them anytime soon             

jimbo

Sawyerfortyish

I cut 2- 31/2x16x18'white oak for a guy. The first time across a scale he was 600lbs heavier. Myself I would cut white oak if you have it available.I guess hemlock would be ok as long as it's not windshook.

sigidi

Hey Twostroke,

my 2 cents - just post some pics when they fitted ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

wiam

My experience with white ash has been that it will not last well in the weather.  I have built truck bodies with it.  Ones I have parked inside most of the time have lasted 10 years.  Only a couple of years if parked outside.  Now that I think about it,  a truck plank might need to be replaced by then anyway. :D :D

Will

woodmills1

If you don't want to sacrafice the oak just make the truck sides from the centers and keep the outside for other uses.  I have some rather large real nice oaks but every one of them looks bad as I get near the center.  You would be surprised how tough the oak is even one cut from the middle containing the pith.  The ones on my dump have been on for over 12 years though I will probably replace them this year.  I saw 2 yesterday I cut for a customer 3 years ago.  6/4 x 18 x 9 I centered the pith when I cut them so that they were cut just above and just below the center.  The customer is a landscaper and he put Thompsons water seal on them and they look mavalous........... :D   I get at least $1.25 for truck sides, trailer deck and fence boards of red oak so the customers get both the real nice outside boards and the center knotty pithy stuff.  (pithy stuff  :D :D)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

twostroke_blood

You guys from Vermont......dont shoot me for asking.....How about maple? Does it hold up to the elements?  :o

wiam

Maple will hold up much better than ash to weather.  I have used maple for....I'm gonna get it for this......trailer decking and it has held up well.

Will

mometal77

I see nothing but wood on the boards but do any thing of rectangular tubing or pe flat plastic expensive but would never wear out.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

rebocardo

If this dump truck is going to carry some serious weight, here is what the guy should really do. Put the wood on like he wants (I would stake every 3 feet from my experience). Then back it on the inside of the bed with 1/8" sheets of steel. Bolt the steel sheets to at least one post of steel, front and back,  and the rest to the wood with 3/8" bolts.

It will make the wood last a very long time and will greatly increase the strength of the bed without having to worry about the sides bursting. Plus, the wood/metal combo will be almost impossible to dent or break without trying to do it.

You can use carriage bolts on the inside of the bed, so its smoother, by using an impact gun on the nut on the outside of the bed to drive the bolt home.

woodmills1

It is funny how some companies cut corners to save money, they think.

Have 2 masons who buy a few 2 x 10 x 16 hemlock for staging.  One leaves them outside where ever and doesnt even end trim them when he gets them.  The other end trims then wraps the ends in metal banding for 4 or so inches, then stores them inside after jobs.  guess who buys more planks compared to jobs done and # of employees.

One paving company pays well and has many long time emplyees.  They use oak truck sides and have reinforced the tops of the bodies with steel behind the wood.  The other paving company pays less, is hard on the employees, and has a lot of turn over.  They use hemlock with just the pockets and one steel at center so they can use smaller lengths.  Guess who gets to see me many more times.

Gary_C

I have been told that Cottonwood makes the best dump truck top boards. Those end loaders they use to load are so huge, that if the bucket just barely hits the top of the truck box, something has to give. Strength is not as important as toughness and flexability. Plus cottonwood will be lighter, when dry. Yes they will rot faster, but they tend to not last long enough for rot to be a primary concern.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Sawyerfortyish

Well twostroke it looks like you'll have to go out in the back 40 and cut one of native VT Sequoias or cottonwood trees ::) for them truck sides. Be easy on those hard maples too many of us enjoy that syrup Vt is famous for.

twostroke_blood

I'm leaning toward Cottonwood. However, the first 20' log I happen across is going down. I would have done it already instead of talking about it, if not for the fact that its a muddy mess back there. Rain rain go away come back another day. :D

Thank You Sponsors!