iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

porter cable

Started by deadeye, June 17, 2005, 09:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

just wanted to know if anyone knew where Porter-Cable 895PK 2-1/4 HP Router Kit is made. want to buy one on ebay but if it's not made in the us, mexico, or canada got pay 17% duty.

Tom

Here is a quote from their web-site, http://www.porter-cable.net/abpoisralto.html

"Porter-Cable manufactures a vast majority of its products out of the Jackson, Tenn. headquarters; however, the company operates a second manufacturing facility in Steinheim, Germany, where its products are produced and sold throughout Europe under the FLEX brand name. "

"Currently, we do not accept International orders."

It sounds to me like all Porter-Cable labeled stuff is built in the USA.

There are company contact email addresses thay might get the answer.

maple flats

Sorry, can't help you. They used to make everything in Syracuse, NY, USA but those companies get things made all over the world and may get one model from 1 place and others from somewhere else. Try looking the item and model up online and read what you can find, often it will say country of origin or sent a message to the seller and ask them to look on the tool, it has to say there, on the tag.
Historically Portewr Cable was a great company, my dad had a radial arm saw that he bought in 1947 and it is still going strong after building a huge house, and making onion crates commercially for a few years. Even held up to my brother and me using it to build 3 large treehouses when we were teenagers. When making the onion crates he used to rip 2 1/4" elm planks into 3/8" slats for hours on end and that was tough wood but the saw never needed anything except brushes, a cord, and nothing else. Motor has never even been rebuilt and still has original bearings which are still tight as new.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

MemphisLogger

I believe it WAS indeed made in Jackson, TN.

However, I think P-C is in the process of shutting down most of their production lines there and moving them to Mexico.

If you buy one now, I'm pretty sure it will be all USA.    
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

meazlejr

My 690  and 7529 (3 of them) are all USA but I don't know about the 890's.  If I get by Lowe's this weekend I will check for you.  Since merging with Delta I think some of the stuff like miter saws & cordless stuff were made in Asia.  Now with Black and Decker in the Drivers seat there  is no Telling.

Joe

Coot

i know that Black and Decker bought out porter cable , but still going to keep there respected names , and i belive they are made in ny , we have a rebuild shop for porter cable 1hr 30min from my place for porter cable.

isawlogs

I have a friend that does the waranty work for them , I asked him about the porter cable routers and he told me to stay away from the newer ones ... I did not ask him why just did ... But I could give him a call and ask about the model you are looking at ..
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

meazlejr

I finially made it by Lowe's.  The 890's have a big "Made in the USA" right on the box.
Joe

deadeye

thanks for all the info, but i took isawlogs's friends advice and bought a dewalt.  don't know if i did any better but it's done now

Thank You Sponsors!