iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

way off topic but anyone have experience with night scopes

Started by Robert R, June 16, 2005, 10:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

I am having a bit of a problem with horse chasers and chicken swipers.  Thinking of getting a night scope now that they have come down some in price.  Checked with the game warden--not illegal to own but don't get caught hunting with it.  He said predator control on my own property wound never be construed as hunting.  Are they really very good at any distance.  I am saying 50 to 100 yards but I need to know if there is a horse 300 yards on past.  Will one of these work and are they still functional during the day?  It will either go on a 22 rim fire or I may buy some used something a bit more powerful.

Sorry if this is an inappropiate question for this forum.  Feel free to delete it if it is, won't hurt my feelings.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

My understanding is that the 50-100 yards wouldn't be a problem, but 300 might be pushing it a bit.  A shotgun might be a better choice than a rifle.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Robert R

Yeah, I thought about that but the neighbors are still sore over their last dog they wouldn't keep at home.  I warned them and warned them and finally told them flat out I wasn't warning them again.  Then, they act all surprised when it turns up missing and, well, things have been a bit tense ever since last summer.  Hoping to be a bit quieter this go round and just shoot, shovel and shut up.  A shotgun blast at 2 a.m. will be noticed and a spot light sets off every dog in the area.  I was hoping a little pop from a 22 or 22 magnum without any extra lights shining would never be noticed now that everyone has their air conditioners on.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Tom

I have one that uses batteries and actively lights up the area.  It's like using a flashlight.  The range is probalby 200 feet at best.  When their is enough light that you don't need the IR actively shining.  The thie thing will let you see, passively, as far as you have open ground.  It doesn't need a bright moon either.  You have to get used to the green tint on everything. but yhou can see it.

beenthere

Robert R
Just a thought, but warn the neighbors again (those who you think are letting their dogs run at night) and then just let that shotgun blast about 2 am a few nights in a row, so they do hear it (I'd do one blast to wake them and another to re-affirm what they thought they heard the first wake-up call).  Don't need a night light, but just open the door and let loose in the air.
Not knowing the real situation here, so don't know if this fits. But I would be real hesitant to fire a rifle anywhere at night, except at a coon in a tree.  Knowing the area behind the target as you mentioned, is not likely, and you don't want any surprises the next morning.
Now, in the meantime, you need to know what your horses will do during these 'shots' in the dark.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Been there's remedy has been mine.  I have had problems with folks shooting back into the woods not knowing my house was here.  They play loud music, get drunk and loud and play rap music at 2 in the morning that can be heard all over the swamp.

I have combated it by going out in the front yard at varying times throughout the evening and shout at the top of my lungs. "Yee hiiii-i-ij  , You Son of a ? ? ?   I told you to git off my property."  ....and then shoot  my 12 gauger off into the air a couple of times followed by 'Ya better keep running...    I'm hot on your tail......   Those trees ain't gonna do you no good. "  and shoot a couple of more times.    then I go inside and get back on the forum or watch TV or whatever.  ;D

A little bit of that and they start talking about that crazy old fool back in the woods with the shotgun.  the Rap music tones down and so does the partying.   I can put a damper on these yuppies pretty quick. :D

J_T

Had a book once called the poor mans James Bond had a plan on building a add on device for a 22 made it real quite ??? ???
Jim Holloway

mometal77

If you ever get one look up into the night sky more stars..   I was told stay away from anything russian made.  Has something to do with messing up your eyes over time.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Texas Ranger

I have a small business where I deal in firearms and sights.  I had a 3rd generation night sight that you could see out to almost a thousand yards on a moon lit night.  I added a near infrared laser and you could shoot out to several hundred yards if you know your ballistics on the rifle your shooting.  A third generation night scope will be to pricey for your needs, but a good 1st or second generation should be good for a hundred yards.

Regardless, remember your ballistics.  A .22 at 100 yards should work.

Oh, the sight set up was mounted on a Bushmaster, and hogs and coyotes were hard pressed, until I was offered a semesters tuition for the set up.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Robert R

Thanks for the info.  I know what you mean, Texas Ranger, about the ballistics.  A 22 is much more formidable than most folks give it credit for.  I have a Remington 522 with a ProMagnum 44 scope on it.  It is sighted dead on at 75 yards.  A nonmoving squirrel close enough I can see it is a head shot 9 times out of 10.  Years ago, I had a neighbor with a dog after my sheep.  It was actually a wolf hybrid.  It took off when it saw me and I started firing.  As it sailed over the fence, it crumpled with a shot that was supposed to be a head shot but the spine in the upper neck worked just as well.  When I took the animal back to its owner to get reimbursed for my sheep he pointed out that I'd shot the thing 6 times.  My responses was "Darn it, that means I missed it twice!".
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Robert R

What is a Bushmaster, never heard of that one, although I wouldn't describe myself as a gun afficionado by any means.  To me, they are more of a tool than anything else--unless you are talking wing shooting and side-by-sides, now there is something worth getting passionate about!  Of course, I couldn't afford anything on my wish list in that category.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

submarinesailor

From what I have heard/read, the Bushmaster is an outstanding shooting .223 caliber rifle – nice tight groups.  Built much like an M16/AR15.  It's the same manufacturer/type of rifle the Washington DC area sniper used to kill all those people with.  Also, I think Bushmaster was the first, hopefully the last, manufacturer to settle a wrongful death law suit out of court. :-X :-X :-X

Bruce

Robert R

I did a google search after I posted that.  Sweet, sweet, sweet.  If anyone has an extra one lying around they don't need, I'll pm you my mailing address!!
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Tom_Averwater

Robert , I've got one but you can't have it. We don't have any coon hunter problems anymore after I ripped off 20 rounds full auto into the ground behind them. I think it scared them a little. :D  tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Texas Ranger

Uh, Tom, you may want to be a little more circumspect with the ripping comment.  You never know when Uncle Sammie's jack booted nephews will be watching on Carnivore.

Robert R

You know, I thought exactly the same thing and for the record, I am not interested in anything full, semi is just fine by me!!
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Tom_Averwater

I'm legal with it . I've got all of the paper work and tax stamps for it.  Tom

Texas Ranger

mometal77

Tom about those coon hunters a few months ago they had about nine coons on the maple right next to the house.  The house sits on the side of the mtn.  I cannot believe the disrespect some hunters give tramsing through peoples property at 3am.  Wish i would have had salt peter.  OH and the officer that came out nothing was ever done what a joke this county is getting into.  Just over the starting of summer two elks where killed near the river and only the rack was taken.  Fish and game where down there investigating. Indians.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Tom_Averwater

Our farm is almost a mile deep. A person can go hunting in the very back and never be seen or heard . Sometimes I just have to go hunter hunting.  :D  I love to hunt , fish and trap . I just wish someone would ask first.  Tom

Lenny_M

Robert R
Have you ckecked out Gunsamerica.com
I have never bought through this site but did very well at selling A Kimber 223 A few years ago
Its also a good place to see what your firearms are worth.I used it to get a ballpark # on a Winchster lowwall 25-20ss and a Burnsides Civil war rifle.
                                    Lenny

Bro. Noble

I had a stray dog growl at me last week.  I used a .22 magnum to break him of that habit.  Used a 20 gage Mag this morning on a dog that was heckeling one of my new Brown Swiss cows.  I think it learned its lesson,  if not,  lesson #2 will do the trick for sure ;)

I hate doing that,  but I've learned to do what I have to do and just keep quiet about it.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!