iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board feet

Started by thedeeredude, June 16, 2005, 09:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

How many board feet do you fellas with smaller mills sell a year?  And who to(wholesalers or anyone who walks in and buys lumber?  And how much profit do ya make off that lumber?  Thanks

Jeff

Ya want the truth?  :D

You are going to get a different answer from everybody that answers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Are ya workin for the IRS?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thedeeredude

I expected to get different answers, I think ???  But, I'd just like to know how many board feet smaller mills(ie.-wm lt40 manual and the like) sell a year and average what profit they get.  

thedeeredude

hey beenthere, who blew my cover??????????

so how much do you owe in taxes?huhuhuh :D

woodmills1

hva hyd mill but here goes 10 years, smallest 5400 largest 58000 thats sold not cut.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

oakiemac

I'm not sure how many board feet/year. I'm definately on the up swing so things are changing fast.
I used to sell to the wholesellers-green ungraded lumber, but I am too small time to deal with them much. They want whole truck loads then you are their mercy on the grading end of the stick. I felt that they under graded a lot of my lumber. I sent one 3mbf of red oak and came back with a report of some ridiculous number like less then a 100bf of FAS. That is almost impossible from good logs.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

beenthere

oakie..
"I sent one 3mbf of red oak and came back with a report of some ridiculous number like less then a 100bf of FAS. That is almost impossible from good logs. ""

Your comment sounds right, but if that "FAS" quality is in boards that are not edged and trimmed right, it is possible that the quality ended up 'attached' to lower quality, thus a lower grade. Also,  surface drying checks can be a killer on the cuttings needed for grade.
Knowing about what percentage of FAS when selling is a plus, for sure, but sounds like you were on the short end of a deal.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

UNCLEBUCK

beenthere what kind of sawmill do you run ?
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

beenthere

None now.
I've had occasion to run both circle and band (all small), and many occasion to work in and around large mills. Wouldn't consider myself an 'expert' at any of them, compared to the experts here.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!