iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fessin Up.

Started by Jeff, June 16, 2005, 06:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

::) I haven't done that either Jeff ................. in several years. What's embarrasing is when you have to ask the customer to help you pull the tongue back down. A friend of mine was changing out cam follower rollers while on the job one day and the whole head fell off. Mast and all.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tom

I bought me one of those "farm Jacks"  sometimes called a "hi rise" .  It's been a real handy thing around the mill.  I need to get a second one.   This one was $30 on sale at Harbor Freight.

Bibbyman

The worst thing that's been happening to me since I've been sawing a lot more is that about once a week I tend to saw out one of those VERY long wedges.

'Corse,  It's always Mary's fault - if she's there or not - because she should have seen the toe board was up.

Tom's never done that.  (I just added that so he wouldn't have to.)  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

What's really fun, Bib, is when you are centering the pith, have sawn all four faces and it is just about the best you have ever done.  You are really pleased with yourself because it is the finest log in the pile.   Then you notice that back toe board is still right where you left a couple steps ago  :o

Not that I have ever done that myself, personally.  Oh, no.  But it sure sounded funny when Tom told it to me.   :) :) :) ;D ;)

I never fib either, just like everyone else here ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Murf

Isn't those the ones you put off to one side with a sign that reads "Specially Sawn Tapered Porch Columns" over them.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Tom

Hmmmmmm  that's a good marketing ploy.   I'll have to remember that, just in case I ever do it. ;D

D._Frederick

Those high-lift jacks can be very dangerous, if you don't keep the "locking pins" well oiled. I have 3 of this type jack, the copies of the original (jack made before WWII) don't have the right spring tension and will drop the load when letting the jack down. I have had this happen a couple time and now have a bolt that I place in the the holes of the beam about 6inch below the jack handle. If the pins don't go in right, the load won't fall all the way.

SAW MILLER

When I had just built my mill and was gettin the bugs out,I had not yet welded the stops at the end of the track,I had vise grips clamped on so I would'nt run off the end....but I forgot that I took them off and ran the saw head right off the end.It landed on it's face,still running.I may have said DANG that day......called a wrecker to put it back on the track.I have found that the stupidity of your actions are directly proportional to the number of people watching...thats why I prefer to work alone  >:( >:(
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Brucer

Getting the mill ready to move to a job ...

When I started backing up, there was a lot of jerking and banging, as though the mill brakes were switching on and off. Got out to investigate, and discovered "Mistake 1" -- I forgot to lift the front leg. It was dragging over and through the hard clay in my field. Lifted the leg to the travel postion, got back in the truck, and pulled forward. More jerking and banging. Looked in the mirror and saw the back end of the mill sticking up in the air. Got out to investigate, and discovered "Mistake 2" -- I forgot to latch the hitch. When I was backing up with the leg down, it lifted the hitch off the ball, so the mill was being pushed by the bumper. When I pulled forward, the hitch slid off the bumper and dropped to the ground.

Fortunately, I forgot to make "Mistake 3". I didn't forget to hook up the safety chains so the mill was still under control. I was lucky, nothing got damaged (but the license plate on my truck has a great orange streak across it). I was really lucky that there were no customers around  ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

woodbowl

Quote from: SAW MILLER on October 28, 2005, 07:40:52 PM
I have found that the stupidity of your actions are directly proportional to the number of people watching...thats why I prefer to work aloneĀ 
I'm gona' remember that one!  Somewhere I heard that the definition of character is: thats what you do when nobodys looking.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Thank You Sponsors!