iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Model Airplane

Started by Ianab, June 16, 2005, 04:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

2 minor problems -
Fathers Birthday, and what to do with some small boards sawn from a little tree removed from parents front lawn   ???

Answer, build a model of Dad's favourite plane, he used to fly one of these back in the good old days.

This is a closeup showing the grain of the timber with a bit of wood oil rubbed in  :)

I believe the kowhai (Sophora tetraptera or Sophora microphylla ) is in the same family as Tasmanian Blackwood and Koa, so the wood is very dense, strong and the grain is interesting.

I'll post some more pics as I get it finsihed.. the tricky bits are still to come  ::)

Cheers

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

EZ

Your right up my alley now. I like all planes but the bi-plane is my favorite.
Looking good,Ianab.
EZ

Haytrader

Haytrader

crtreedude

I got a bunch of Balsa wood if you need it - but getting it to you might be a problem. Stuff grows like a weed here.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ianab

Quote from: Haytrader on June 16, 2005, 05:17:32 AM
Stearman?

Same vintage

De Havilland Tiger Moth

http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/aircraft/dh82.htm

They are to UK, NZ and Aussie guys what the Stearman is to the US pilots  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: crtreedude on June 16, 2005, 05:33:49 AM
I got a bunch of Balsa wood if you need it - but getting it to you might be a problem. Stuff grows like a weed here.

This ones SOLID hardwood.. no way it's going to fly   :D

While looking around online for drawings and plans I did find plans for a flying model, electric, R/C, made of balsa..
With a 12" wing span  :o  (12 INCH!!)
With the new electric motors and batteries guys are building R/C planes to fly in gyms etc. 4 min flight time and full R/C control.. amazing.

I'll get back to ya if I need to make a working model  ;)

Cheers

Ian

crtreedude

You just need to get a stronger motor.... ;-)  Anything will fly with enough power behind it - it might not be stable, but it will fly for a short time....

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

The grain reminds me a little of elm. I want to build some model planes sometime if I ever get the ambition. ;) Looking good Ianab.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tnlogger

looking good  Ianab bet he loves it 8)

Quote from: crtreedude on June 16, 2005, 06:07:27 AM
You just need to get a stronger motor.... ;-) Anything will fly with enough power behind it - it might not be stable, but it will fly for a short time....

now that reminds me of the Spuce Goose  :D
gene

CHARLIE

Ianab, you sure have the artist touch.  That is a fine job carving it from scratch. I love airplanes especially WWI and WWII fighter planes and bombers.  When I was in elemetary school and junior high, I used to build a lot of model planes and had them hanging from Tom and my bedroom ceiling. When I was a freshman in college, I started building and flying control line models with gasoline engines.  Me and my buddies used to have air wars with them.  They got pretty beat up, but we had lots of fun.  Your dad is gonna love that plane you are building. First it's something you made for him and didn't just go and buy.  Second, it's from the tree that was in his yard and lastly, it  is a model of the plane he used to fly.  What a gift! 8)  I hope you post his reaction.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!