iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Toys

Started by buck5611, June 15, 2005, 08:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck5611

:)Finally bought my new toys :TJ 230D 1973. I do not have it yet but i
I'll have it in a week.It was difficult to decide betwen this one and a JD 440, but as they goes fast I lost the JD because I was too slow to decide.Now waiting for august to begin cutting wood.

OLD_ JD

congrat buck  :)  ..what series was that JD (A-B-C..or just 440)?
canadien forest ranger

buck5611

it was a 440 A. But during the winter another guy restaure a 440B wich I was supposed to buy. I tried it in the wood but finally the guy decide to keep it for imself.Then the TJ230 was the first interesting one that I checked.

Barkman

Yes, congrats Buck!  What motor and winch are on the TJ?

OLD_ JD

the A series getting tuff to find part 4 it...i belive them the B series was the best one of JD ;)
canadien forest ranger

buck5611

Theb motor is a 353 and the winch is a Hercule . I was said that this is the original one.

sawguy21

Buck, you better have good hearing protection with that screamin 353 ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

buck5611

I know about the noise but this is a good motor and often we have compromise to accept. One of my friend have a smaller TJ with a Perkin engine. Low noise, good engine except for one thing: vibration. there is apparently no way to keep the starter in place due to excessive vibration of this engine.So I'm  ready and prepaired for the noise.

OLD_ JD

buck,i dont no ure location but the best thing about detroit engine is the fact u can use starter fluid whit out any prob to very cool starting ;)..that can be a + whene u own older skidder ;D
canadien forest ranger

buck5611

I live in Caplan in Gaspesie and I plan to use it up to 15 dec depending on the snow we will get at this moment. The problem for me is af ter the snow arrive, it will be difficult to go to workplace and have a truck to haul the wood unless I clear the road by myself wick i dont plan to do. The previous owner of this machine told me that it start easily at -15C with just a puff of starting fluid. Hope it is true.

Sawyerfortyish

I have a 74 230D and the only problem I have is water in the fuel in the winter. Have to keep extra filters on hand and make sure your fuel is treated right. The 353 Detroits are real good reliable engines easy on fuel too.

timberjack240

buck
congrats on the jack. i think youll find thy are easier aand cheaper to fix than a john deere. the only thing we run are timberjacks. i think you made a good choice the 230 is  anice little machine

Ed_K

Good buy, I run a 4-53. They do start good in winter and are easy to work on. I found this last winter, that by putting plastic on the side screens, it warmed up better and ran better.
I have 2 mufflers on it tho  ;D.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!