iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Buckley Elm

Started by jeff, March 28, 2001, 04:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The "Buckley Elm" which helped inspire the National Champion Tree Program is battling dutch elm disease. The tree, which is located near Buckley Michigan is around 500 years old, and has a 112 ft by 112 ft canopy.

Even though Dutch elm disease is considered a death sentence, several companies and the National tree program are trying to help it. They spent much of the day trimming infected branches. The bark was scraped back on the limbs to check for a "healthy white color". A brown color indicates an infected limb. It is estimated as much as 20% of the canopy will be removed.

As soon as the snow is gone and the ground has thawed, a program of injecting vitamins into the root system will begin.

I think I will take a drive this weekend to see the old girl.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Ron Scott, do you know exactly where this tree is? I know it stands out in a field.

Ron Scott

Take County Road 633 North of Buckley to Zue Road.
Turn left (west) on Zue Road to Wilson Road; turn right(north)on Wilson Road, 1.5 mile. Its there in an open field on the left side of County Road 633, well seen.

Its just over the County line in Grand Traverse County.  
~Ron

Ron Scott

I was by her today. Looking good. I took a couple pictures.
~Ron

Jeff

Well where are they?? ;)

Ron Scott

They're still in the camera. I was waiting to see one from you. Did you ever get up there?
~Ron

Ron Scott

Here's a picture of the famous Buckley Elm.

~Ron

RavioliKid

That's one big tree!

I hope the treatments help.

RavioliKid

Buzz-sawyer

Did the tree pull out of it?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

populus

Beautiful tree. The former champion, the Louis Vieux Elm in Kansas died of DED a few years ago. We went to see it (Louis Vieux was a Potawatami chief and an ancestor of my daughters) and it looked a lot like the Buckley tree. These elms adjacent to farm fields get lots of fertilizer. I hope good care can extend the life of the Buckley elm.

SwampDonkey

We had a very large elm here too, on the neighboring property. They logged the place and the tree died 3 years later. It was 11.5 feet in circumference at 6 feet above ground. At stump height, up to breast height, there was a huge burl.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!