iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm 5000 km's (3000 mi) from home now in Calgary Alberta

Started by slowzuki, June 14, 2005, 11:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

We just drove across Canada, 5000 km's in 52 hours 8)  That is a long drive I tell you! I hope the rental car company meant it when they said unlimited km's!

Saw many portable sawmills in northern ontario.  We were really surprised how small the logs on the trucks are there.  They had pulp logs down to 2" with the bulk of the trruck at 3".

There were a few nice loads of veneer hardwood logs going by too.  I was surprised how juvenille all the woods were up there.

Get to explore the city a bit again, will be out to Banff and Lake Louise tomorrow then to my best friends wedding 8)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

Thats a trip I want to make some day ,    but not a 52 hour dash  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

Has it stopped raining there? That area really got nailed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

slowzuki

Won't be staying at the Fairmont but I have to do a bit of work for them while there for my employer ;D

Sharing a discount hotel room with 3 other people is what is really happening 8)  My financee and I are building so we don't have much spare cash.

Manitoba has been hammered with water, the fields are soaked,  I can't imagine how much the farmers are gonna lose.  :-\

Danny_S

Hmmm Slow, where'd ya leave the mill?? That was a 2" ball wasnt it?....LOL
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Brucer

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Percy

Heya Slowz....
Heck, after all that way, ya might as well come up to Terrace. Minisota Boy is gonna be here saterday so we can throw some Stawnichi's kubasa on the barby and have us a kuby roast,....What say you?? ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

slowzuki

Well we zipped over to lake louise today so we were 200 km closer!  Have to take off on Saturday or would love to visit 8)  I love seeing different parts of the country, never thought I would be back here so soon.

It was nice and warm when we got to the Lake but promptly starting snowing very heavily :o  Hour later and it was sun and warm again ???

Danny, you're welcome to finish putting the carriage drive motor on it and finish her up!  If you do that you'd be welcome to help saw up some of my stuff with me for free :D  I'd even let you run the cant hook and pull slabs hehe!

SwampDonkey

Slow, it's wet enough over here. Can't even get to the woods and the fields are muck.  ::)

I've done the mad dash across the continent also, 6 days from coast to coast, then back in 5. ;D Going out again next summer and down to the Grand canyon, also out to cousins near Kelowna, BC.

My original route was to Ottawa, then the Sue, then Winnipeg, then Calgary, then Prince George, then Prince Rupert. Missed the Winnipeg flood going out. On the return it was from Rupert, to Edmonton, to Winnipeg, to the Sue, to Ottawa, then home. Missed a heavy snow storm in Winnipeg coming back. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

So Swamp, it wuz you in that blur that got the cops all excited :D That is travelling too hard for my liking.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Yup, got stopped going and coming by those prairie flat foots. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DouginUtah

SwampDonkey,

When you make that Grand Canyon trip next year you will probably be travelling I-15. We are just a quarter mile off it, just north of Salt Lake City, so if you need a place to crash for six hours, or just a shower, let me know. We always have a room for FF members.   :)

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

Doug,

Thanks for the invite. I'll have to keep you in mind. We want to see the dinosaur museums in southern Alberta and south of the border also. Be travelling with ma and pa as they want to visit the cousins more than I do. ;)

cheers

slowzuki

Swampy, we made it out in 57 hours of straight driving.  We didn't stop anywhere along the way as we were hard on time.

SwampDonkey

Slow, I couldn't do that. I've got to have my sleep or my head and kneck would be throbbing.

slowzuki

We're back! What a trip!

Grand total 12,000 km (7500 miles!)

Provinces travelled in:

New Brunswick
Quebec
Ontario
Manitoba
Saskatchewan
Alberta

States travelled in:

Montana
North Dakota
Minnisota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Indianna
Michigan

What a trip!  I loved Montana, we drove down through the Louis and Clark national forest almost to Yellowstone.

Was thinking about Jeff on the way through Michigan, we cut through from Chicago to Detroit, don't know how far off the old homestead was from that route.

Almost didn't get back into Canada as all I had was a drivers licence, no birth certificate.

After 60 hours of straight driving we were 2 km from home (1.25 mi) and I got passed by a young fellow who lives nearby.  I was driving slow as we are out in the sticks and it was night.  He got about 300 ft ahead of me and smoked a moose at about 90 km/h (55 mph).  We just saw brake lights and a shiny cloud, well the cloud was the glass exploding out of the entire car.

The moose went over the roof and peeled part of the roof off while being gutted by the sheet metal.  By the time we got stopped the driver was up out of the car covered with his blood and moose blood.  Had a terrible time getting him to sit and stay still while we called the ambulance and police.

The footwells were full to the seat with bowels etc.  If there had been a passenger they would have been killed.

Anyways home safe and sound!

SwampDonkey

That was quite a trip there Slow'. Too bad about the young feller gettin smoked....errr was it the moose. He was lucky, looks like it was quite a mess. Glad ya made'r back all in one piece. Now where the heck are the pics.  ???  :D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!