iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No Swingers Around

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 12, 2002, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

No swingers around when you need one.  I guess I will have to buy one as I have not been able to find one in Arkansas.  But this log is crying for one.  :'(  The Walnut I have not sawn yet but the oak is all lumber now, about 700 bdft.  Just another day at the mill in Arkansas.

ARKANSAWYER

Paul_H

That is a big log alright.The trailer looks like a good setup. What are you going to do with the Walnut?Would you break it down with the swinger?How would you slice it for the WM?

Lucas,or Petersen? :PIt's time they did the Swing in Arkansas.

Good luck

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bibbyman

Looks like your front tire is a little low ! :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Norm

Nice pics Arky, I'll bet that big log really squatted those tires down when you off loaded it. How big is your trailer that your using? We use a 12 ton running gear to move logs but the local cop shop told us to keep it on the farm and have been trying to figure what to use instead.

Bro. Noble

Hey,Arkansawyer,

Do I  smell new paint?

Did Rene let you buy a new tractor?

Nice pictures,  nice young timber in the background, but where is your Grandma?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ARKANSAWYER

The tractor has been on the farm for a few months and it may come as a surprise but I have busted the loader!  I got new brackets last week and "fish plated" them and I bet I bust the front axle next.  It works well and the 4 wheel drive is SUPER.
   The walnut log nut log I will saw just for the gun stocks in the root ball and the crotch wood in the top.  There will not be any lumber from the middle as there is a fence through there.  I was given the tree if I hauled it off so I did and there was about 3 ricks of fire wood come out of the top.  
   That red oak on the trailer is history but it was a load.  Granny hated the slabs as they were over her head.
  The trailer is a 14,000 lb 27' goose neck that I haul lumber and logs on.  I came home 2 days ago with 16,300 lbs of cedar logs and some were sticking 6 to 7 feet off the back.  It has a dove tail to load a tractor on it.  I wished I had gotten the 20,000 lb model as it has 8 tires on the back intead of 4 and in the soft ground that would help me when I pick up logs.  Now if it just had a loader like a Wheeler.  A while back the MAN (DOT from Little Rock) pulled me over and truck, trailer and 9 pine logs topped the scale at 39,900 lbs. He wanted to see my CDL as I was 13,900 lbs over weight.  Now I am standing on the side of the Hy 14 in nothing but steel toe boots, Big Smith over alls (flapping in the breeze), and a Wood MIzer hat that I push back on my head as I shove me hands into my alls.   "Shun! Them pecker poles is heavy" Says I.  The MAN asked me how far I was a going so's I start telling him how to get to the house. ( I live back in the sticks a piece)  He picks up his heavy duty bathroom scales (I got some kin that could use them) and loads up in to his car.  Gives me back my licence and tells me to get right home and stay there.  Now weren't that nice of him, being a city guy and all?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

J Beyer

Sheesh!  To bad you don't have a pic of the 9 pine log load to post!  Those DOT people are always spoiling our fun of testing the trailer's maximum capacity.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Corley5

Whatcha pulling that trailer with?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

J Beyer

The tractor must have been pulling it  ;D.  I don't think the little one-ton truck of Arky's could handle the load, especially if it is a Dodge. :D :D :D :D

Jeff

I been waiting for him to answer, but he must be making a living somewhere eles right now. ;)  I heard the story, it was the little ole dodge.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ElectricAl

Back in 1996 a local log hauler was hauling logs from a landing to a staging area for the over seas buyers. The trip was about 4000' of county blacktop.
Trucker was being paid a penny per board foot hauled, and laid out.
On the twelvth load the DOT man was waiting.
Someone had called!!  
In Iowa we have an 80,000 lbs. max limit. He was 108,000 lbs.
After 2 hours the fines were just short of $8,000.
The truck was put "out of service" on the spot. DOT man said the logs would have to be unloaded before the truck would be released.
"And not in the ditch"
So "Trucker" being freaked out already, flips the DOT some crap as he walks back to the timber.
"Trucker" fires up the pre-hauler ( R model Mack on monster truck tires ), pulls out on the road and grabs a handful of high gear and roars down the road.
Upon his arrival at his semi the DOT is writing additional tickets. The per-hauler did not have any license plates, or other road use necessary items.
DOT placed the Pre-hauler "out of service" on the spot.
The trucker spent an hour trying to find another log hauler willing to show up to unload the logs. The other problem was the pre-hauler had to be loaded on a drop deck semi for removal.  The two trucks that showed up were also given the DOT 1000 point check. They passed with 100% compliance.

Trucker would have made more money that day if he would have hauled legal loads.
Apparently the "two for one special" is not a real deal after all !!!!
 ::)

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

DanG

If he had only 4000' to go, he shoulda just kept going to the landing, and dumped the load b-4 the gesta....errrr, officer, could get his scales out. ;D ;D

I'm not against good law enforcement, but, if he took up 2 hours of my time for a minor infraction, I'd make sure he also took up about 2 days of his time at the courthouse.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ARKANSAWYER

I am back.  It was my little blue dodge 1 ton diesel that pulls these hills with pecker poles on back.  On my trip to Indy I got on the other side of the Mississippi and it was flat interstate and I set the cruise at 70 and blew the crude out of the turbo.  It is not the pulling of them loads that is the problem it is when you get to the bottom of the hills.  And why do they all ways put one of then DanG curves at the bottom? :-/  
  Here is Granny with the big log.
ARKANSAWYER

Corley5

Gotta love them Cummins Dodges 8).  I blew the carbon out of ours going up north for the weekend.  The old lady's been puttsing around in it for too long ;D.  Gonna get my goose neck hitch mounted in it next week so I can pull our trailer that is just like yours.  That way I can use the trailer whenever I want and not wait for Dad's truck to be available.  Both our trucks are 3/4 ton 4x4 quad cab short boxes.  Was gonna get a four door Dakota 4x4 but the price difference made me go big.  Might as well have a real truck ;D

J Beyer

What! :o  I find any 3/4 ton 4X4 with a short box a useless truck.  I would not even think  ::) of getting even a 1/2 ton truck with a short box.  A crew-cab long-bed style pickup is quite intimidating on the highway, just ask the owners of those little imports :D :D :D :D :D.  Seriously, why would anyone want a 3/4 ton shortbox anyway?  It's not like the fuel mileage is any better, so it must be for parking reasons.

I've also seen people fall asleep  ??? ??? ??? when they were trying to pass my friends crewcab longbed Chevy.

ARKANSAWYER

One tons sell for about 2 to 3 grand more then a 3/4 ton here but their resale is better and 3 to 4 grand more.  Lots of 3/4 setting on the used lots but very few 1 tons for sale.  I like the extra wheels in back and I think the mileage is about the same.  But them cummings are nice.  Only way to fly.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

DanG

Them big deisel motors is nice, but it's the duals that make the real difference. My son-in-law borryed(sp) my Dooley and hoss trailer, a while back to take a family outing in N. Georgia.  On the way back, they blew a tire on the right rear, while going around a pretty steep left-hand curve. He had his wife and 3 kids in the cab, and 5 horses in the gooseneck. Weren't fer the duals, they'd have all been mush!  As it were, they just eased in to town, put on the spar tar, and brought it on to the house. 8) 8)

He bought a Dooley the next week! ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

You hit right on!  Parking is the reason for the quad cab shortbox.  A regular cab would have to be a long box.  I drive a 94 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 V6 five speed long box so we do have an eight footer in the family.  Dee would have a terrible time with the new truck if it was a long box and since it is mainly the family truckster and not used for hauling only pulling the trailer the longer bed isn't missed.  A friend has a Dodge one ton 4x4 dually diesel.  Nice truck and one of the reasons I bought a diesel.  Them great big fenders sticking out would cause me grief.  It looks like they'd attract all kinds of attention from trees, fence posts etc

Bro. Noble

We drive a half ton Chevy 4x4 around the farm and to town when the roads are bad or we need something bigger than groceries.  Otherwise we drive a little car because of the fuel cost.

For hauling we use a C70 Chev.  We bought it and the pickup at the same time.  They were the same age and both about 60,000 miles when we bought them.  The C70 cost over $1000 less than the pickup!  

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

whitepe

Now here's the truck I dream about !

My company colleague in the U.K. customizes the software
used on a stock CAT Electronics ecm (electronic control module) on this racing Truck. They take a basically
stock CAT C12 engine (475 hp) and turn it into a 1000+ hp
fire breathing monster.  They run the entire race season
on the same engine without an overhaul whereas the competition rebuilds their engine for every race.
2001 spring in practice they had it souped up a bit too much and ended up with coolant in the oil caused by stretching
the head bolts. They had to back it off a bit in the software.
They use water cooled brakes. I wish I would get to
see this truck in action in person but my travels there
haven't coincided with Race season.
If you are interested in more, take a look at

http://www.chrishodgetrucks.com/pager/supertruckracing.htm

Jeff, maybe Ray would want one to haul lumber?

Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Frank_Pender

I could sure get logs to my mill site, here on the farm in one big hurry.   8) 8) 8)  When dose it hit the USA  production line? :P
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

With that many ponies under the hood I would go up these hills so fast the Man would never think I had a load on.  Might have to add some air pressure to my fat tires, :D
   ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Paul_H

Whitepe,
Are the brakes a Wichita style with water jackets and pucks?
They are used on 2&3 drum yarding winches and are very effective.

Paul_H

Whitepe? :)

Jeff

Paul, don't go there. :D

Whitepe, Ray is a huge race fan, but he is a usually a purest on some things. Not sure what he thinks about racing rigs. Will it lug 30,000 feet day in and day out at 180 mile an hour?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!