iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Slick?

Started by Dan, June 11, 2005, 03:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I`m getting ready to build the shed form Jack Sobon`s book. I need a recommendation for a slick, Barr sells two sizes, which size would be best for a job this size? Thanks-Dan

JoeyLowe

Hey Dan_G:

Barr has a couple of great choices and I have both.  I also have a larger slick that I bought from Jim Rogers and well as a couple of others.  Your not going to like my answer, but the truth is that "It depends".  What I mean is use what you feel comfortable with.  I prefer the larger slicks with longer handles because I can make thinner paring cuts with them with a lot more leverage.  I also prefer the older more beefer boatbuilder slicks because they work better for me.  The Barr slicks are wonderful tools, but they are smaller and lighter and in my humble opinion aren't as useful for working larger timbers.  Big timbers require big tools.  I would wholeheartedly recommend that you check out Jim's list of slicks for sale and get one of them first.  It's almost like holding a piece of history in your hands and you may laugh at this, but it seems as if those older slicks already know what to do, (grin) :D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Don P

I've had the larger one of the boatbuilders/timberframers slicks from Woodcraft for about 10 years. It took a bit of work to get it into shape, and its not real tough,(it gets used for alot of things it isn't supposed to) but it does take an edge pretty easily.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=2043&FamilyID=247

Thank You Sponsors!