iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Little safety tips

Started by DanG, June 11, 2005, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Mark's accident has got me thinking, like most all of you, I suppose.  I have a couple of little bitty things I routinely do to help me stay safe.  There is a wealth of other little tricks out there that should be discussed, as well.

One thing I do is to hang my safety glasses on the ignition key of the mill.  Kinda hard to forget them if ya gotta move'em to start it up. :) :)  Doing this has gotten me in the habit of using them, and I feel nekkid without them if I'm using other tools, now.

I also use wheel chocks a lot.  Since my truck is manual shift, and the e-brake isn't very good, I chock it whenever there is a doubt.  This has gotten me into the habit of chocking the forklift and the tractor as well.

Safety is heavily dependant on habit, so we have to cultivate good habits.  Anybody else got any little tricks to share?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

I've been thinking about Mark, too.

WHEEL CHOCKS > USE'M

FRONT and BACK

EVERYTIME !

For a tandem trailer you just need one triangular one with a handle on top .....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WV_hillbilly

I got one for ya .  Wear your hearing protection also . It is a shame the amount of older gentlemen I know  that are pretty much deaf . This is directly attributed to repeated exposure to loud noises ( chain saws , hammer drills , farm equipment and heavy machinery )  .
    I have been told by countless Safety Directors that the first range of hearing to go is the tone of a womans voice  . Every time I am told this I comment that it is called selective hearing  and they aren't impressed .
  I  am in the habit of wearing steel toed boots , hard hat , safety glasses , hearing protection and dust mask or 1/2 mask respirator  daily at my regular job so it is pretty much second nature to me . 
Hillbilly

Roxie

Working with Cowboy Bob loading horses and cattle and operating the farm equipment.....the "escape route" is becoming second nature.  Animals can be so unpredictable that Bob would always ask, "Which way are you going, if you have to get out?"  Whether it was up, over, or through.....I had to name a safe area (and so did he) before we move in on any critter.  As we work through loading, the safe area might change, but we call to each other exactly what our intentions are, every step of the way.  I can't count the number of times an animal has turned unexpectedly and those escape routes were used.  Then, it's slowly and calmly back to square one, and we have to start the process all over again.  I've learned patience like I never learned it in all those years before.  Cowboy Bob says, "If ya git in a rush, you'll get hurt."  I've watched him take nearly an hour to set up the environment so that even the most contrary bull walks onto that trailer because Bob had all the possibilities covered.  You learn to think AHEAD of doing anything, and you never put yourself in a corner. 
I remember being told about another livestock hauler that was killed when he was pinned between the trailer door and the barn and the cows hit that door. 
I've taken these lessons and even applied them when I drive to work.  If I find myself hurrying because I'm late, I ask myself if being on time is worth risking my life, or someone elses life.  I always look for which direction I'll go if I get suddenly cut off by the driver in front, or what if a deer steps onto the highway. 
You can't prevent all accidents....but slowing down and thinking the entire situation through BEFORE you are into a situation and planning your next move, might help. 
Say when

DanG

Cowboy Bob's got it right.  Hurry will git ya dead!  He's dealing with unpredictable animals that are large and strong enough to hurt him.  We are dealing with unpredictable logs and machinery that are large and strong enough to hurt us.  Same difference.  Ya gotta think ahead of all the things that could go wrong, do what ya can ta head'em off, and be ready to get outta tha way.  Don't ever be afraid to start over.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

Roxie, you and Cowboy Bob have got it right. You will live a lot longer and more comfortably. Mark's accident brought to mind a number of near calls I have seen and been involved in. I am sure he was a concientious person but it only takes a moment of inattention or distraction.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

At Ryder Truck they had a saying "chock and lock" when working on a vehicle. Chock two wheels (I like front and back of two wheels) and put a lock on the mirror and hang the keys off them. Nothing stinks worse then having a vehicle move or fall on you while you are underneath and to have the keys in your pants pocket. Makes rescue a bit more difficult. Plus, that way the vehicle can't be accidently started  AND you think about how everything is set up safety wise instead of rushing a job.

sawguy21

I have yet to see a customer walk through the door with the saw bar facing to the rear.  I do it and suggest it when selling the saw. If  I trip, I won't fall on a sharp chain. I also never carry a running saw.
I am a lefty and used to drop start the big saws with the bar next to my leg. One day a new hole appeared in my jeans right below the pocket which contained my keys and some change. Never did that again. :o

Tom

When using hydraulics and depending on someone else to hook the device up,  be conscience of his presence and take your hands off of the valve handles.

An example would be hooking up a log to lifting tongs suspended from a boom.  When there is an individual below the boom or one who has his hands on the tongs, don't touch the valve handles until  he moves away.  A slight slip could crush his hands or his body.

Sudden movements of booms will sling chain or cable suspended weights in a wide arc and could take the head off of your best friend.

sawguy21

Tom, I got bopped by a concrete guardrail section doing that. I reached up to stop it from swinging just as my buddy, who could not see me, moved the swing control. The only smart thing I did that day was wear the hardhat. ::)

Frickman

A little thing that everyone should do is always securely block up any equipment you will be working under. Yesterday morning just north of here a salvage yard owner was killed underneath an old pickup he had lifted by a bumper mount with his wrecker winch. He had no jackstands or blocks underneath the pickup when the bumper mount broke. His mother, who lives next door, found him. That has to be a parent's worst nightmare, and one that was easily preventable.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Part_Timer

I have a couple of things to say here.

1.  Thanks Roxie.  I have heard very few people talk about others when discussing driving.  2 years ago a guy pulled out in front of me at a stop sign.  He was 1 mile from home and in a hurry to get his son home to his birthday party.  I "t'd" his pickup at 65 mph.  The last thing I saw was the look on his son's face as I slammed into the front of his truck.  All I can say is that I'm glad God doesn't have any overtime restrictions.  My guardian angle saved my bacon.  No one was seriously hurt.  They both walked away without a scratch.  I bummed up my leg and limped around for about a year or so.  We ended up totaling his 3/4 ton ford and It destroyed my dakota.  No reason I should have lived.  no reason at all.  set the engin in the front seat and bent my frame 4 inches.  Always look a second time at intersections nothing is so important.

2.  I use my chainsaw helmet when sawmilling.  I hang it on the control lever that starts the blad that way I always have my face shield and hearing protection.

3.  I know this may sound silly but I always let someone know when I'm going out to fell trees.  I set a time to be home and make sure to keep it. That way someone knows to come looking if I'm late. Keep your cell phone and a compression dressing in your pocket.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Buzz-sawyer

I dont  think #3 is Silly.......Its Good thinking! :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

wiam

I take a two way radio into the woods with me that I can talk to my wife at the house with.

Will

sawguy21

Part-Timer, I do the same thing when I go fishing alone. Not that I get to do a lot of  fishing DanG it.

Part_Timer

sawguy21

I haven't seen a pole in 2 years However we leave in 2 weeks for Boyscout camp.  Boys do their thing during the day and us leaders plan on fishing all day for 5 days 8) 8) 8)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

crtreedude

I used to walk the mountains by myself in the North - not the brightest thing, but there was normally plenty of people also on the trails.

Down here, I wouldn't think about it (ok, I do think about it...) because it is much more dangerous. I don't know anything down here so I bring people with me.

I prefer to be alone, but some things just are not the best idea.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

UNCLEBUCK

Good thread DanG ,  I guess everything I do or touch can kill me in a instant but what I really see alot of is oncoming traffic drifting across the line diggin on the radio or talkin on the cell phone . Tailgating !  Highway stuff . Young/old,male /female it just dont matter some people drive with a death wish over their heads so thats my tip for everyone , keep alert and concentrate on driving and driving only until the vehicle is turned off !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

DanG

Heard a report on the news that a local arborist was badly hurt in a fall.  It seems he cut his rope with his chainsaw and fell fifty feet, landing on his back on a sidewalk.  Can't believe he lived!  Musta been a tough sonofagun!
Not bright, but tough! ::)

crtreedude

For a while I rock climbed and it was true, it was usually the experienced climbers who would have the bad accidents.  After a while your brain goes out to lunch because you get bored having done the same thing a million times.

Believe it or not, one of the most dangerous things you can do is rapell - which should be as simple as anything. People do the craziest things - like not making sure the rope is long enough. Rapelling beyond the end of your rope is not a good thing. Air doesn't have a lot of friction.

Simple stuff I think is what keeps you alive, and not getting too proud to check yourself each and every time.

I knew a really good rock climber who now refuses to climb anything higher than 20 feet. He was walking along with a guy and the person just stepped off a cliff - the guy was lucky, his harness caught on something about 30 feet down. Hurt him pretty good, but he ended up being okay. Very experienced and smart climber - just wasn't paying attention. The guy with him decided it could have easily been him.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

woodbowl

Heard something on the news a few years ago about a child falling several stories on to  hard concrete. He landed flat of his back, the diaper exploded, the child had no broken bones or injuries.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Furby

Yeah, there was a child that fell out a fourth floor window in GR a couple weeks ago, just a black eye and a couple bruises.

Kevin

Quotea local arborist was badly hurt in a fall

Dan;
Have you got a news source for this?  Thanks.

DanG

Kev, I caught the brief story on one of the Panama City tv stations.  I guess they got a newspaper over there. ???  It happened several days ago.  I'll poke around a bit and post back if I find anything.

DanG

I checked their newspaper, but their archives haven't been updated since last week. :-\

Thank You Sponsors!