iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walking to mailbox

Started by pigman, June 10, 2005, 10:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alta

Dont have a mail box - we live too far out for mail delivery. I read somewhere lately that the USPS delivers mail to every home in the country and felt a little left out.... :'(

SwampDonkey

Up in Hyder, Alaska it comes through Canada Post to Stewart, BC so I was told by folks up there.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Don't feel left out, Alta. I live exactly next door to the PO  and they won't deliver to me ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DanG

EH?  I'd be PO'd about that! >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

I'm about 200 yards from the PO, they deliver to me. ;D
But not to the streets that come off my street. :D

Tom

Does this mean that these people have to rent a po box?

What is the cost of the stamp for then?

Furby

Yes, they have a PO box, don't know if they have to pay for one or not.

Know what a stamp costs at a truck stop?
Try 2 for $1.25 or 4 for $2. :o >:(

sprucebunny

A small PO box is $24/year here. They are angry with me for getting so much mail. I told them to feel free to keep all the junk mail which is about half the volume. ::)

There are certain companies like Cabelas that send WAY too many catalogs . They must send me about a 6"dbh tree every year :D :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

Trouble is they make way too much money from the bulk mailings. Frustrating for the carrier and the customer though. I got annoyed (po'ed? ;D) and saved all the junk until I had a good load then just  about filled the street box. I bet the pickup driver called me some not so nice names. :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Engineer

I dunno if this is possible, but I have heard rumors of people who saved a month or more worth of junk mail, put it in a box and taped pone of those "business reply - postage prepaid" envelopes on the box and sent it off.  I know that Capital One sends me two or three pieces of junk mail every week, and I tear them up and send them back to them in their own envelopes.

I had a long talk with the local postmaster, who is a pal of mine, and we discussed the junk mail problem and how it could be combated.  I opined that a lot fo the problem could be solved by having USPS drop their discounted rates for bulk mailers.  Last I recall, it cost 25 cents for a bulk mailed envelope, versus 39 cents for a regular customer with single piece rate.   Maybe if it cost everyone the same, they could drop the overall rate back down to maybe 30 cents.  It sure does not cost the P.O. any less to deliver junk mail, so why should they charge less money to send it?

SwampDonkey

Businesses like Capital one and other businesses have to sort their junk mail by zip/postal code, that cuts their postal rate compared to the regular mail that is unsorted. At the marketing board they have to post on each newsletter their bulk rate number and sort all the mail by postal code for that bulk rate. Most of (but not all) our advertising flyers from grocery stores and Walmart and such are delivered by a separate currier service, like the newspaper deliveries.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Because it's their "Golden Goose". 

Given the choice, I think they would drop citizen service and even spend more money to make delivery of junk mail more profitable.

SwampDonkey

Costs us $0.51 in Canada and $0.90 to send to the US for a regular letter and they are real sticky on dimensions and weight. Used to be we could put the change in the mail box for a stamp instead of having to drive to town burning $10 of gas for a little piece of sticky paper with $0.51 stamped on it.  ::)

I could never figure out how 15 % tax on $0.10 = $0.02 tax, they keep rounding up in their favor, as if 15 % isn't high enough to start with.  Anything under $1.00 should be exempt. ::)

Murf

Our local newspaper is part of a big chain of newspapers, all just little ones like ours, 3 times a week they deliver a paper free to nearly every household in the area around Toronto, out to about a 100 mile radius.

They can deliver flyers and such so cheap the post office can't compete with their prices, since they offer a discount to the merchant to both print & deliver the same piece.

Makes it real handy, all the junk is one nice neat group as an insert.  ;D

They even print it with veggie ink so it doesn't clog up my chimney!  8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

We get that too Murph, only 6 days a week, plus one day a week they stuff a full bag of additional flyers and shove it into the box. Most of it isn't good paper for fire building. The newspaper is the best paper and if I have a choice I like yellow birch over anything because it doesn't go poof, it burns for 5 or 10 minutes with a hot flame. ;D

Tom

Well, tonight, they got one of the little boogers.

One of the neighborhood watch people saw someone tearing up mailboxes and called the police.  Four squad cars arived in no time at all and arrested a 14 year old girl who lives in the trailer court up front.

Her Mom is a 911 operator and was told that her job is in jeopardy if she can't control her daughter.  Seems this isn't the first time the girl has met the acquaintance of the local constabulary.  The threat to the mom might have been more for affect in front of the daughter.  I hope so.

I sure wish they could have been that quick responding when I had those two burglars at gunpoint a few years ago.

We just put up a new mailbox too.  Glad she didn't get down this way yet.

Kcwoodbutcher

Had a problem gettin my mailbox smashed until I made up a special one. Took some 6" by 1/4 " wall pipe and slit it down the middle. Then I welded that on top of some 6" channel iron. Made the front and back out of 3/8" plate. Ground down the welds and painted it. This is all welded to a 2" schedule 80 stainless post sunk 4' in the ground. The thing looks just like a regular mailbox but laughs at anything short of a 30-06 round. It's been hit a few times - I can tell by the splinters on the ground. I hope whoever did it has their wrist in a cast.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

drobertson

Wow, just did a quick search on the topic, what an old thread this one is,, and it seems to still be a problem.  Found our box dead on the ground this morning, got hit by a large rock,  going into town all but four were hit, in a 5 mile stretch,  saw some law enforcement checking it out already. not sure what they can find, but can always hope,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SwampDonkey

The bums of the same mind set even think bashing and pushing over tomb stones is fun to. Some folks teach their offspring some bad habits.

Thank You Sponsors!