iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Largest Grizzly in world killed-man eater

Started by ellmoe, June 08, 2005, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellmoe

Kirk Allen said in my Alaskan Trip thread that if you take a handgun for bears make sure it has no sights, that way it wont be as painful when the bear shoves it up... I understood that he meant, a pistol would be of no help. Unfortunately for a hiker, he found out this was true. The bear was killed two days after killing a hiker that had shot him four times with a .38.  A US forest Service employee was dear hunting when the bear charged him. He emptied his 7mm into the bear and it dropped just feet away. He reloaded and emptied his rifle again into the still living bear. The bear was 12'6" and weighed about 1600lbs. It will be mounted and displayed at the Anchorage airport, partly as a warning to tourist. When the contents of the stomach was examined, they found the remains of two people. They backtracked and found the remains of the unlucky hiker, but not the other.

I have the link to the article with the pictures of the bear. However, the link contains a graphic photo of the hiker and I did not wish to post it. For the curious , I can give you the link. It's definetly not for children.

Mark

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Dan_Shade

yikes.

shot placement is everything, but then again, i never had a bear charge me...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Buzz-sawyer

Sorry, Another internet legend...that bear was shot by a 22 year old airmen in 2001......... ;)

"It is definitely an "urban legend" and it won't die. The bear was taken
in fall 2001 in Prince William Sound. It was a good
sized bear for the area, but no monster. It did not kill anyone. Those
pictures are digitally enhanced. I have included an
article from the Anchorage paper that explains the whole incident"

LINK
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

beenthere

I've heard that that story is a bit fabricated. The picture is graphic, for sure.

Good that you didn't link it.  Some web things are hard to substantiate.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ellmoe

Buzz,
   I thought if that wasn't true, someone here would shine the light on it. My money was on you! :) However, with the photo of the hiker, it looked real to me.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

twoodward15

That bear is actually in a hotel in down town Anchorage if I'm not mistaken.  I've seen it and it is BIG, but not that big!!  It's standing next to another large bear in the lobby!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Corley5

A buddy of mine has been to Alaska several times to work and fish and his advice on a sidearm for grizzlys is a double action Ruger 44 Mag revolver.  Five shots for the bear and save the last one for yourself   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Several of them big critters in the Anchorage Airport.  You can't imagine the size, until ya stand next to one.  :o ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

maple flats

I THINK I WOULD RATHER HAVE A 12 GAUGE WITH SLUGS, NOT SURE ABOUT THE ACTION, MAYBE A DRILLINGS TRIPLE BARREL, and then the 44 mag revolver, or better yet 454 Casull (has something like twice the energy of 44 mag, sorry Clint Eastman) and I would still save the last for me.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ron Scott

Worth reading is the book: Mark of the Grizzly by Scott McMillion of Livingston, Montana. Good reading for anyone traveling in bear country.

It contains true stories of recent bear atacks and the hard lessons learned.
Pepper Spray is usually more effective than any firearm.

~Ron

Murf

Don't know how true it is, but I read that some scientist did an experiment with pepper spray, it works, but it's as likely to disable you as the bear.

They found that those compressed air fog-horns worked as well or maybe better.

A bear as excelllent hearing and they use growls and bellows as assertive behaviour in thier society, apparently when a relatively small human makes a relatively large noise, they take that as a hint that maybe it won't be as easy a fight as appearances would lead them to believe and they turn tail and walk away.

I know we had a little black bear wander out into the road to eat some raspberries at  job we were on and wouldn't move outta the way, I leaned on the air horns and he took off into bush like he had sat on a big thorn.  :o
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Kirk_Allen

Another GREAT book is Alaskan Bair Tales, part 1 and 2.

IT is filled with Factual stories of bear attacks.  Great reading and one that once you start you wont put it down unitll you done. 

The one I recall the most nerving was the guy that shot a 458 win mag slug at a bears head while it was charging.  The angle must have been just right becuase it only cracked his skull when it deflected of his hard head.  Second shot to the chest did the trick. 

Tom

I hear that you can tell you have bear in the woods by examining the scat. Bear scat smells a lot like pepper spray and has little bells and remnants of air-horn cans in it.

I was watching a TV Documentary of Jedidiah Smith, an American explorer in the early 1800's.  He was know for his fearsomeness and lived through an attack of a bear where his scalp and ear were ripped away from his head when the bear held Jed's head in his mouth.  Jed's buddy's sewed him up, on the spot, with some needle and thread they had in their possession.  Jed gave them instructions as the surgery proceeded.    There is probably a written tale of this on the INTERNET.  Read it if you can find it. :)

Ron Scott

I'm amazed at how fast an attacking bear is. In many cases they were on the victim before they could react with a gun if they were carrying one.
~Ron

Tom

Bibbyman

Even more remarkable is the story of Hugh Glass.  He was a mountain man mauled by a grizzly and left for dead.  He crawled a couple hundred miles through wilderness to make it back to people.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Murf

Tom, yer' probley right, it was either the chrome grill starin' him in the face when he finally turned around, or else it was Deputy Dog tryin' ta chew his way through the windshield ta git at him.

Probley looked at Deputy Dog an' figgered the da only thing the little bugger could reach was the parts of his anatomy he definitely didn't want chewed up!!   :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Gilman

The bear encounters in Undaunted Courage (Lewis and Clark expidition) are good too.

A summary of their encounters

Hunting party ran into them a couple of times and claimed how tough and big they were.

Lewis poo poo'd them claiming they were wimps.

Lews and some other men got chased into the Columbia, after they had shot a bear a few times. 

Standing order after that, "Don't mess with the bears."  :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Ron Scott

The recent TV documentary "Grizzly Man" about Timmy Treadwell who spent 13 summers amoung grizzly bears before being killed by them is worth seeing if one is interested in grizzlys. Makes one continue their respect for them.
~Ron

Furby

I didn't see that one, but after hearing about it on Prime Time the other night, I'd like to.

asy

OK, saw the photos of the bear.

Saw the photos of the ex-hiker.

Give me snakes any day.

At least if ya shoot one ONCE it's dead.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Furby

SwampDonkey

I worked with a fellow in Prince Rupert who was attached by a bear. The bear grabbed him by the head and gave him a gash from the back of the head, across his cheek. He was drug a few feet as his partner in the bush was beating the Dang beast with the blunt end of an axe. Apparently, the guys where working in an area that the bear marked for his territory. The guys were playing Russina Roulette by using the bear's trail, to and front the work site.

One day on the job, we were sitten in the pickup. Among our gear was mace and bear bangers (fire crackers on a pen launcher). There was this young black bear that came outta the woods and laid down in the ditch beside the pickup truck. We were sitten there and firing the bear bangers off at this young black bear. Never phased him too much, he got up after while all somber-like and moved off without any fear at all.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!