iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Petibone Loader?

Started by sawyerkirk, June 06, 2005, 08:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

If I remembr right, a couple of you are running Petibones. I am looking at an older model (1975 I believe) any thing in particular I should look for on it? Going to use it to move logs, pallets etc. probably use it evry couple days. Thanks, Kirk

karl

Prob'ly have no valuable advice for ya but, I have an old (lettering on it says "Noah's Ark and Ship Yard ;))4x4 Pettybone Carylift #8 (?) holding the grass down in the back 40. Bought it after a mill and a junkyard had used it so it was tired but it paid for itself at least 10 times over. It has a Continental flathead that guzzles gas. No real problems with it other than very tired motor that fouls plugs and doesn't like to start. I retired it and have a Skylift now.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

dail_h

Several of the mills that I have worked for used them, 'specially veneer mills. AsI remember,they were the most reliable machines around at that time.Wish I could find one close and cheap.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Nailhead

That machine was probably built in Baraga, Mi. It's a good machine for handling logs and lumber, but be careful if you try to dig dirt out of a bank, real easy to break a axel. I've had one for about 15 years, have put a new Ford 6 cyl. gas in it and use it every day.
Most of these machines had Timkin axels without planitary gears, so all the torque goes to the axel.
If you buy it, let me know, as I know a fellow that has a lot of parts for those older machines.
That machine is probably a Super 8, Carry-Lift
Hope this helps a little.
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

DanG

Good info, Nailhead!  Welcome to the ForestryForum.  Hope you'll stick around and participate. :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawyerkirk

Thanks for the advice, we decided against it. Just gonna keep our current loader.

Gilman

Nailhead,
I just bought a Petibone loader with forks.  Do you still have the contact information for that fellow that has lots of parts?  I was too excited testing it out to remember to take a picture.  I'll get one posted.

Thanks,

David
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Nailhead

Say gilman, I sent you a PM
Where are those pictures?
NH
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Gilman on April 14, 2006, 10:32:51 AM
Nailhead,
I just bought a Petibone loader with forks.  Do you still have the contact information for that fellow that has lots of parts?  I was too excited testing it out to remember to take a picture.  I'll get one posted.

Thanks,

David

Does it have the grapple on the forks too?  I've watched an operator reach in to the deck of my mill over top of a log and remove a beam that I had sawed.  Picked it up just as though he was using his fingers.  Never touched the mill. 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Gilman

Nope, no grapple  >:(

It does have adjustable fork spacing though.  If I put grapples on it, I could switch between adjustable forks and grapples pretty easy.

6,000 lbs Capacity
Front Axle Tilt
2 Wheel steering, 4 Wheel steering, Crab steering
The diesel engine purrs and has 635 hrs on it.

Here's me and the new loader

I drug my uncle with me, we weren't getting much done in the rain anyways.

Here's a bucket loader that I'd like to have.  I think it is about a 10,000 lbs capacity

maple flats

There used to be a Pettibone plant in nearby Rome, NY but I am not sure which items they made other than cranes, maybe that was all. I do remember the huge cranes and steel tubing laying around in racks. I think the tubing was real heavy for crane booms and many sizes to each slide inside the next. That was many years ago.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Gilman

Is there any tricks I should know about before I take this Master cylinder apart?

The owner said he was pretty sure it was leaking and needed to be rebuilt.  His an invalid with terminal cancer and I didn't feel comfortable asking him too many questions.

ScottAR

I'm not sure who bought out Pettibone... JLG??  I know they bought Gradall awhile back. 

Save every piece of it...  You may need it...  Getting a kit might be interesting.
Soak that thing in your favorite penetrating solvent.  Is that booster hydroboost?   Diesels don't have vaccum so I'm guessing...

That one looks similar to somthing on a medium duty truck.   You might be able to get a new one and just replace it.   Make a note of bore size, stroke, and which side the lines come out.  Then go to a parts store that carries HD parts. 

Ask to see their picture book.  If they know what a book is, your probably in the right place.  I get to do this kinda thing as my day job. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Gilman

Thanks Scott,

I talked to my friend that repairs my forklifts (he also severely scolded me for getting the gray market Russian forklift.  Something about, "If you so much as even think about calling me when that thing breaks I'll kick your ....") He suggested that I don't rebuild it, but just buy a new one.

I called Nailhead's contact, Butch, and he said he had one.  I'll look around in the Portland area first to see if someone has one.

Gilman

This morning I figured out a way I could put grapples on the loader that would run off the same hydraulic circuit as the fork spacing cylinder.  If I slid the forks into a frame that restricted their side to side movement I could run the same hoses through counter balance valves that don't open until they reach a set pressure.  Once the pressure was high enough from restricting the fork movement the grapple cylinder would be engaged. Then I could raise and lower the grapples.

If I wanted to be in forklift mode I would simply raise the grapples and then remove the restricting jig.   8)

Frank_Pender

You have toooo much time on your hands, on these rain filled days, David. 8)  By the way I sold all of my Sequoia logs to our friend, this morning.  He returned my call from last evening.  I even sold him some more stuff and he does not even know that has happened. 8)
Frank Pender

Gilman

Well, I still don't have the loader moved yet, brakes still don't work.

There's a new master cylinder and new booster in it, but I'm not getting enough air pressure.  Threadle valves work fine, shuttle valve is working correctly, I'm down to the governor or air compressor.  Of course both of these items are in the middle of the beast.  There is a Pettibone dealer in Portland that I've scheduled an appointment with to come out and fix the problem.

I was thinking that 6,000lbs capacity was pretty light for how big this machine is.  I got a parts & service manual ($75 bor both  8) ) and found out why it's only rated at 6k.

With a 6k load at 12' in the air it can climb a 45 degree grade or descend a 30 degree grade.  I think that would be pretty scary.

It can ford 5' deep (well, it used to be able)  That's deep enough to get your ankles wet.  Pettibone made this model for the Navy (the one I have) and a model for the Marine Corp.  Looks like they wanted something that the could use on a beach landing.

Paul_H

Giman,
how much air pressure do you have now? Our old loader has the same air over hydraulic system and 90 lbs is enough to apply the brakes but when we first bought the machine,although we had the air pressure,the brakes would not come on.
The problem was every wheel had seized slave components and the fix was a little bit of heat,a bit of Rust Reaper and a bit of persuasion till the parts moved freely and then a lot of Never Sieze to keep it moving.
The good news is there wasn't any new parts needed,just a little elbow grease.Nice looking machine you've got there,hope you have it earning it's keep real soon.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Gilman

10-20 psi I'd guess, I can hold my finger over the hose end without it leaking.  If I go work on it today, I'm going to take a new pressure gage with me and see what it's running at.

I just wish I hadn't spent the $600 for the new power unit.  The old one was leaking a bit though, so it's probably best to have replaced it in the long run.

Thank You Sponsors!