iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging boots

Started by Sawyerfortyish, June 04, 2005, 07:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Well I did it for the second time this year I twisted my ankle. I've done it so many times it dont take much anymore. Someone told me I need boots like the firefighters use in remote areas when they walk in or jump in. They have steel bracing in the ankle area to protect against twisting. Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of them ? I'm not up on shoe language. I found boots with steel arches but I think thats the bottom of your foot :-\.

crtreedude

I hate to mention "the knife" but our daughter twisted her ankle so many times, the only way to fix it was to have a surgeon go in and tighten things up again.  You might need to have someone look at it.

The boots are a good idea, but perhaps you have a problem that is a little deeper?

So, how did I end up here anyway?

thedeeredude

Here ya go   http://www.baileys-online.com/x-boots.htm  You could also try paratrooper boots, they're braced for falling out of a plane :o

Frank_Pender

Fortish, you might try www.Dannerboots.com.  They are they msake of boot I use all of the time.  Some of the finest on the market, as far as I am concerned.  They will custom make boots to your specific foot sizes and shapes. ;D
Frank Pender

beenthere

Frank
Couldn't get that site, and wonder if you meant Danner Boots? They are the brand I wear.

http://www.danner.com/?CMP=KAC-12345678910
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

yep, and I had misssspelllled the site as well. :'(
Frank Pender

Tillaway

I just ordered a pair of Nicks, I usually wear Whites.  The local boot shop here sells to all the local loggers.  Quality wise Viberg and Nicks are the best.  Whites have been yupped out.  Danner is no longer in the running, sorry Frank, and not recommended anymore.  People have been having lots of problems with them.  Wesco's are way overpriced and not near as good as Viberg or Nick's.  Also Wesco has been slow to deliver.  It takes about two months to get Nicks, you would be wainting allot longer for custom Wesco's.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

ID4ster

Go with Nick's Boots out of Spokane, Washington. They are by far the best on the market and can build a boot that will take care of that problem for you. Bar none, Whites, Danners, Wescos, Redwings or whatever. Nick's will make them look bad. Almost all smoke jumpers, lineman, foresters and loggers have switched over to them out here.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

rpg52

ID4ster, do you have a link to Nick's?  I've always used White's, but am willing to consider others since it's been a while.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

Sawyerfortyish

Thanks guys this is exactly what i'm looking for. Cost at this point is not a factor unless there out of there mind but a few hundred to be able to get back on my feet and stay there is well worth it. I'll try looking up Nicks phone# online. I knew someone here would be able to tell what I needed to know. :) 8)

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Sawyerfortyish

Just emailed Nicks boots told them what I was looking for so I'll see what happens.

PS  Also put in a plug for the FF

Tillaway

Expect to pay over $300 for Nicks.  The break in period is long and somewhat painful.  Do not expect slipper comfort right out of the box or you will be disappointed.  This type of boot is extremely comfortable after they are good and broke in.  They are designed to fit tight around your arches and ankles.  My acheillies(sp) tendon takes the brunt of the break in process and gets kinda sore.  Patiences is the key, they feel better every day you wear them. 

The upshoot is they last a long time and can be rebuilt numerous times.  I am replacing an old pair off Buffaloes that have been rebuilt 4 times in 12 years.  If I had taken better care of them I would not have had to buy the new ones.  I expect the same from the Nicks since they are very similar to Whites and Buffaloes.  These will probably be the last pair of leather boots I will have to buy.  I expect them to last until my retirement some 25 years away.

fishhuntcutwood

Though it sounds like you've got your boots picked out-and I'm all about custom, hand made boots-I can also recommend Filson boots.  They're what I wear when cutting.  I'll agree that the newer Danners aren't what they used to be.  I've got an older pair of Ft. Lewis' that I keep rebuilding that I wear at work as flight boots, but their newer boots come up short in alot of ways.  JMO.

I've been thinking about a pair of White's...they're no longer the boots they used to be either, huh? 
Nicks are the way to go?

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

OLD_ JD

the 55F-Forester look pretty nice 8)
canadien forest ranger

Dan_Shade

what is the real difference in high grade type boots like this and say a Redwing boot?

I've been wearing Redwings for a long time, I tend to get a few years out of a pair, wearing them quite a bit.  the leather tends to break down on me before the sole (unless I step on something hot...)  wearing the leather out on the toe over the steel is the biggest wear thing, the leather getting cracked and all of that where water starts to soak through happens too.

is the leather in the expensive boots better?  What kind of maintainence needs done on them?  I could imagine a pair of boots being real smelly after 10 years of service  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tillaway

Leather quality, construction, and fit.  I wear them virtually everyday and have gotten minimum of 10 years per pair and I do not take the best care of them.  I have worked with foresters that had 25 year old boots.  If you keep the uppers in good shape then they can be rebuilt numerous times.  I typically get 3 years or so between rebuilds.  Rebuilds usually cost quite a bit, my last one was around $150 but that was about 5 years ago.

Care wise read Nicks web site about boot care.  The product you use to maintain the leather is critical.  Absolutely NO MINK OIL, logger world oil, hydraulic fluid (yes, that is common here) or any other products not recommended by the manufacturer.  There are other products not mentioned by Nicks that does work well, but the stuff they recommend is the best and easiest to use.

I first went to work in the woods wearing Redwings, simply put, my feet are not tough enough to wear them.  Another thing is boots such as mentioned actually maintain better traction on steep terrain.  It has to do with the sole and heel design.  They are a much safer boot to wear in the western woods.

Sawyerfortyish

I have yet to get any more than a year out of a boot. I've tryed Wolverine Dunum Herman and 2 or 3 others none lasted more than a year. But i'm hoping that a custom boot built to fit my feet will give better support where I need it in the ankle area. I can't be out of work 2 or 3 times a year for a twisted ankle. The boots I have on now were made in Maine I bought them last august at boonville the leather over the steel has worn off and the soles are now getting smooth so it's about time to try something else.

Buzz-sawyer

Sawyer40ish
To save shoe leather........
Its simple STOP working so dang hard ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

Quote from: thedeeredude on June 04, 2005, 08:07:45 AM
You could also try paratrooper boots, they're braced for falling out of a plane :o

Didn't know you needed any thing on your feet to fall out of a plane :D :D :D

I think is the hitting the ground part your talking about ;D

Sawmill_Bill

I have  a pair of Danner boots that I did not like all that well.  They just didn't fit right and were sloppy in the heel.  I saw the 2-1-3 lacing pattern on Nicks site and gave it a try.  Boy that really made a different.  It tightened the heel/ankle right up.

Learn something new every day.

SwampDonkey

Been having boot problems here also. Everything is made in China and over priced here ($170 plus). I went over into Maine and bought a pair of RedWings from Roy's Army and Navy. They've been good, cept they are hard on the big toe. But, they have been the best for comfort. I used to work with folks out west that used Viberg, they said they were one of the best boots. At the time I had a $300 pair of boots I couldn't even stand up in (soles too hard), so I had to wear caulked thinners boots on that slimey goose doose on the west coast. ;D All those brands you mentioned would have to be special ordered in, so an extra $30 gets tacked onto the price plus our GST tax, way out of my price range. ::) :-\ :'(  On the plus side I can get boots rebuilt here for a fraction of what Tillaway pays.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Egon

Ifn I could ever figure out how to post a picture you could get a look at some well used Redwings.

Egon

jrdwyer

What do you think of Viberg and/or Baker's Signature by Viberg? I have been using Red Wing's for the last several years but the fit is not perfect. My favorite shoes for fit are a pair of New Balance court shoes in 13D. But wouldn't you know, the Red Wings in 13D are narrower towards the very front of the boots and crowd my toes. I should have paid closer attention when I tried them on and purchased. I find that many shoes don't give enough room and crowd the toes. Does Viberg actually custom fit or just tell you if their stock sizes will fit your feet based on the measurements you send in?

Another boot question, why the very high heels with standard logger lug soles? I find that such sloped soles make me more prone to twisting my ankles and also my feet tend to slide toward the front of the boots. Maybe it is just me as I have high arches and wear cork arch supports. Anyway, my current Red Wings use Vibram Olypmia soles which aren't quite as sloped and I am considering even less slope as long as I can find an agressive tread.

Tillaway

I'm not sure but I think Viberg can do both.  If you have really wierd feet they can build a last for them.  The price for Viberg and Nicks is the same here.  Some folks prefer Viberg some Nicks or Whites.  Just depends on what you are used to.  From my personal observation White/Nick's owners try Vibergs and are usually not happy with the fit / comfort.   Other folks just love them.  They are well made.

The high heels help traction on steep slopes.  Flatter soles act like ski's on steep slopes.  They are actually kind of dangerous to wear in allot of the country I work in.  The higher heels dig in better.  If your feet slide around in your boots then they do not fit properly.  My boots fit really snug around the instep and basically hold on to my foot and that keeps them from moving regardless of terrain or heel height.  I have plenty of wiggle room in the toes and they never touch the ends.  The snug fit around the instep takes some getting used to and a long break in period.

Donkster, resoles cost very little.  Rebuilds, at least for mine, cost allot more due to the fact the only original parts of the boots I get back are the uppers and tongue.  They need to go to the factory and put back on the original lasts.  The local shoe/ boot repair places will only resole here since they don't have the lasts.

Thank You Sponsors!