iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Martins have landed!!!!!

Started by Faron, June 02, 2005, 08:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

I bought my wife a purple martin house for Mother's day.  Installed the pole and house the next week.  I shot a few starlings and tore out the beginning of English sparrow nests for a while.  On June 1st, we have three martins claiming the house.  8) 8) 8) I think all three are females, haven't seen one I think is a male yet .  Look out skeeters!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

beenthere

Good luck on the Martins. Here is a site that tells a bit about how they set up housekeeping. Fits in with your 'female's showing up first observation.

http://www.qacps.k12.md.us/cms/sci/ecogp/pmartin.htm#intro

Not sure about the 'no mosquitoe' thing, which seems contrary to what normally we hear, but something I have heard before.

My experience also, has been a lot of work to keep their house free of other flying critters. I have to do the same 'control' patrol for the bluebird's home.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

Beenthere,
You shouldn't have to do the "patrol" thing for bluebird houses is they're bluebird sized and installed properly. If it's tree swallows that you have problems with, simply put up two houses about 50 or 100 feet apart and let the swallows use one. The two species can nest near one another. If you don't use two houses, the swallows will prevail. I have been providing nest boxes for bluebirds for years, and this really works for me. Glad you're helping them. They're really great to have around.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Fraxinus

No purple martins around here.  I have two houses up.  Tree swallows are in one.  Never have been able to get the bluebirds to come and stay. :'( :'(
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

bitternut

Shotgun you must have a different temperment Tree Swallow than what we have here in Western NY. I have to put my houses in pairs no more than 10 feet apart or I will end up with Swallows in both houses.

Faron

Well, guess I jumped the gun.  The martins were here the morning of the 2nd, then disappeared.  One came back yesterday morning.  I haven't seen her this morning.  Since I have started paying attention, I have lots more starlings around the farm than I realized.  They are getting really cagy, and it is getting difficult to get a shot at them.  I'm watching out the window and one of the rascals just tried to knock a woodpecker off my lightpole!  My guess is I won't have much luck with the martins until I get rid of the starlings???
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Blake22

The martins were late this year, in '03 saw 1st ones Feb 12, in '04 Feb 14 but this year it was the 23rd of Feb before the first ones arrivved. I must have between 40 & 50 now. Plenty of bluebirds too.

Those martins drive my black lab crazy diving at her. She thinks it's the other way around. ;D
Blake

Thank You Sponsors!