iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How old before bearing acorns

Started by bitternut, July 06, 2002, 07:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

I saw a post about how long it took for oaks to bear acorns and I thought someone might like to see a picture I took today of one of my special oaks that is only 4 years old. The ladder next to the tree is six foot. There are about 75 to 100 acorns on this tree. The water in the background is Lake Ontario and I am located in NY State

bitternut

OK my pictures showed up in the photo gallery but not in my post. How do I get them to appear in the posting?  Help!!!!

Cedar Eater

You were supposed to cut and paste the link into your text. The text is given to you after you successfully upload the picture.
Cedar Eater

Jeff

Just another day in the life of a top notch webmaster ;)

Great pictures Bitternut.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bitternut

Thanks guys for your help. I took Cedar Eaters advice and when I did a preview I discovered Jeff had already fixed me up. I think I have it figured out now. Oh, by the way, now that my pictures are posted does anyone have any idea what is eating the holes in the leaves. My other oaks have holes in them also. I have looked high and low and cannot find any critters. Anybody got any ideas?

Paul_H

I had quite a time posting my first pictures too.It took Jeff and Tom's patient coaching,a bit of hair pulling,and Voila! Pictures 8)

Your pictures turned out good.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

Bitternut,
As a rule of thumb:
If there are holes inside of the perimeter of the leaf it is usually a bacterial infection. There will usually be a brown edge on the hole.  It could be a viral infection as well but the hole would be less localized and the entire leaf would look yellowish or brown.

If the damage is on the edge of the leaf then it is almost a guaruntee that it was caused by a caterpillar, grasshoppeer or the like that possess chewing mouth parts.

If the holes are neat, round and there is little leaf damage then what'cha got is a squirrel hunter with a shotgun.  :D

BCCrouch

Although they may produce a smattering of acorns in their teens, oaks (particularly those of the white group) will generally not produce significant numbers until their mid-20s.  Peak production is usually attained in the 45-60 year old range.  If you're trying to feed the local wildlife, you have a bit of a wait ahead of you.
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

RavioliKid

Hi, Bitternut!

I'm temporarily in Western New York. Right now, I'm in the library in Amherst. My sister doesn't have a computer! How does she survive?!

Your oak tree looks great!

RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!